VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm editing a Video and an external audio file, but I have been struggling with a way to cut them both together, so when I make the Video cuts the audio is cut in the right place also! ..But so far the only solution has been to sync the 2 tracks in edit export them, and then re edit it as 1 track, however with this method, I'm getting a 2 time loss in video quality from the double export! Does anyone know of a better method for doing this? I recently posted a question to a very busy Youtube video authoritys, facebook page., and he answered me only by saying layer one on top of the other and sync them up. Then you can group them together and they'll act as one track. I'm not sure but it sounds like that may be the same thing I'm now doing! Opinions would be appreciated! Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1. What editing software are you using?
    2. What format is the source video? (Use MediaInfo "View"->"Text" and post here.)
    3. What format is the source audio? (Use MediaInfo "View"->"Text" and post here.)
    4. What format are you targeting?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by FL-Artist View Post
    I'm editing a Video and an external audio file, but I have been struggling with a way to cut them both together, so when I make the Video cuts the audio is cut in the right place also! ..But so far the only solution has been to sync the 2 tracks in edit export them, and then re edit it as 1 track, however with this method, I'm getting a 2 time loss in video quality from the double export! Does anyone know of a better method for doing this? I recently posted a question to a very busy Youtube video authoritys, facebook page., and he answered me only by saying layer one on top of the other and sync them up. Then you can group them together and they'll act as one track. I'm not sure but it sounds like that may be the same thing I'm now doing! Opinions would be appreciated! Thanks
    You don't mention what video editor you're using, but that's exactly what you do

You can "link" or "unlink" tracks in video editors. The terminology is different in different editors. Sometimes it's called "grouping". When they are "linked", they act as one . A cut affects both. If you move one track, nudge it forward or back - the other(s) moves with it

If you "unlink" they act separately as individual tracks. eg. You can move the audio track(s) forward or backward independently of the video. A cut or edit does not affect the other tracks when they are unlinked. You might do this to sync up an external track for example. And when it's sync up, you'd re-link it to make edits

If your editor can't handle that simple task, think about getting another editor. A simple workaround would be to multiplex the separate audio and video first, then import it into the editor. You do not lose quality from multiplexing / demultiplexing . It's like putting something into a box, then taking it out of the box . You have the same thing as you started with. It's not the same thing as re-encoding. You lose quality when you re-encode with a lossy format.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Sneaker, I should have mentioned that I am New to Editing! I'm using the VSDC Editing software, which I know is an amateur outfit, but still has many of the professional functions for Video & Audio. as far as your other questions I'm not sure about those settings! I uploaded an IMAGE of the Editor in Export Mode which may be of some help! VSDC allows me to export directly to Social Media configurations, and that is all I am now doing! Which in itself may be my Problem! ..I'm mainly trying to get fairly decent videos for posting on Social Media. Thanks

[Attachment 49400 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VSDC.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	49398  

Quote Quote  
  5. It is exactly as poisondeathray says. With your video open in the timeline, import your new audio track, and with it un-linked move it to sync it up. Mute the original video's audio track and link everything. Now you can edit it as a single entity. If VSCD cannot do this simple task, I would suggest you edit with something else.
    If the quality of your exported video is worse than the original footage, you are probably using too low a bit rate.
    Canon C100 mk2 - Dell XPS8700 i7 - Win 10 - 24gb RAM - GTX 1060/6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - 3 calibrated screens
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only way to raise the Bit Rate though, is to increase the resolution, such as 1280 x 720 to 1920 x 1080 and that always makes my exported file size, much larger then the original Raw videos file size! ..at least on this VSDC editor it does!
    Last edited by FL-Artist; 19th Jun 2019 at 12:31.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by FL-Artist View Post
    You could try to use a video transcoder tool, which enables you to load video track first, then add audio track and edit your audio track. When you tap output, this kind of tool can automatically combine video and audio into one track.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for your Help! I'm going to explore all of these new methods. ..Some very Good News though, is that the VSDC Editors designer, is about to release a new version that Does! cut the Linked Audio & Video tracks simultaneously.
    Last edited by FL-Artist; 25th Jun 2019 at 10:34.
    Quote Quote