VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I currently use an Asus ROG Zephyrus G15 and I'm looking to get a video capture card for it to capture my LDs, VHS, etc. onto my PC.

The best advice I've seen here about this is this thread that recommends the ATI All in Wonder capture cards but unfortunately, these are meant for desktop PCs. I'd have to get a custom PC if I want to get it installed, but I'm wondering if there's a good external video capture card that similarly captures analog video losslessly.

If not, what are the necessary hardware requirements for capturing analog video so I'll know what to look for in a desktop PC.
    Last edited by jealousy91; 15th Nov 2022 at 21:07.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Made in China
    https://hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_usblive2.html

Made in Taiwan
    https://www.avermedia.com/uk/product-detail/C039

Made in Japan
    https://www.amazon.com/DATA-connection-video-capture-GV-USB2/dp/B00428BF1Y

None work well with raw signals, you need a pass-thru device that will correct sync signal problems and will compensate for drop outs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hauppauge usblive2
    - video decoder Conexant CS23102

AverMedia C039 (PC - P, Mac - M)
    - video decoder Conexant CX23102-11Z "Polaris platform, also used in many usb TV Tuners"

I-O Data GV-USB2
    - video decoder Techwell TW9910 DANA2-GR
    Last edited by jwillis84; 16th Nov 2022 at 00:32.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
    Made in China
    https://hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_usblive2.html

Made in Taiwan
    https://www.avermedia.com/uk/product-detail/C039

Made in Japan
    https://www.amazon.com/DATA-connection-video-capture-GV-USB2/dp/B00428BF1Y

None work well with raw signals, you need a pass-thru device that will correct sync signal problems and will compensate for drop outs.
    Like what?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Like what?
    Like a high end S-VHS VCR with lineTBC or a high end S-VHS/VHS VCR without lineTBC and a specific DVD-R recorded used in passthrough. The player is the most important element in the capture chain.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    None work well with raw signals
    The GV-USB2 does a better job without a TBC than the USB-Live2. Unfortunately I can't find the comparison topic here but I've found the GV-USB 2 quite OK provided the tape is reasonable.

With a bad/rolling/jittery/colour-blotched tape, some sort of stabilisation will be required. The go-to TBC-like devices are the Panasonic DVD Recorders such as the ES-10, 15 and others such as the EH-50, EH-57. I have the ES-15 and it does a great job at stabilising the video. Of course, you can't beat a real TBC but be prepared to shell out big dollars for a good one.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Like what?
    Like a high end S-VHS VCR with lineTBC or a high end S-VHS/VHS VCR without lineTBC and a specific DVD-R recorded used in passthrough. The player is the most important element in the capture chain.
    Right, of course.

I think I'll go with the Avermedia.

Is a TBC recommended for LD capture?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is a TBC recommended for LD capture?
    I captured my LDs with a Hauppauge USB-Live 2 without issues, except finding the best comb filter between the LD player, the capture card (poor) and a S-VHS VCR in passthrough mode, because in the LDs the analog signal is recorded as composite, not as Y/C like in the VHS).

My player is a Pioneer DVL-909, and I used no additional TBC.

YMMV!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The GV-USB2 does a better job without a TBC than the USB-Live2.
    Better, but still not good. A lineTBC is mandatory, being in the VCR or as additional device in the chain!

edit: the post you were looking for is here https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/406066-What-is-best-capture-device/page3#post2660565 and the Hauppauge was slightly slightly better than the GV-USB2 in that sample once a lineTBC is provided.
    Last edited by lollo; 16th Nov 2022 at 09:30.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @JWillis, FYI, my GV-USB2 is made in Taiwan, or so it says on the sticker on it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    The GV-USB2 does a better job without a TBC than the USB-Live2. Unfortunately I can't find the comparison topic here but I've found the GV-USB 2 quite OK provided the tape is reasonable.
    How does it compare to the Avermedia?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jealousy91 View Post
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    How does it compare to the Avermedia?
    EDIT - nevermind, misread post.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    edit: the post you were looking for is here https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/406066-What-is-best-capture-device/page3#post2660565 and the Hauppauge was slightly slightly better than the GV-USB2 in that sample once a lineTBC is provided.
    In those images, the GV-USB looks like it was captured losslessly. The USB-Live2 not so much.

Between those two I'll go with the gv-usb but I want to see first how it compares with the Avermedia.
    Last edited by jealousy91; 16th Nov 2022 at 17:44.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Conexant chips have never been highly regarded for capture.

Some of the cards being mentioned are non-USA, non-NTSC native, and almost all praise for them comes from PAL. Realize that few cards can truly do both PAL and NTSC, and "also does" the non-native format. That means native best, non-native generally just passable or worse -- either quality, or just drivers/usability. So be careful with generic advice.

For Laserdiscs, frame TBC should not be required in theory, but often is in practice. Not line or field. (ES/15 type recorders are just strong+crippled line, with non-TBC frame sync. So it cannot be used here. Does nothing.)

OS matters for any capture card advice, and I don't see the OS mentioned here.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 17th Nov 2022 at 22:44. Reason: Clarify TBCs for Laserdiscs
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

Some of the cards being mentioned are non-USA, non-NTSC native, and almost all praise for them comes from PAL. Realize that few cards can truly do both PAL and NTSC, and "also does" the non-native format. That means native best, non-native generally just passable or worse -- either quality, or just drivers/usability. So be careful with generic advice.

Frame TBC should not be required in theory, but often is in practice. Not line or field. (ES/15 type recorders are just strong+crippled line, with non-TBC frame sync. So it cannot be used here. Does nothing.)

OS matters for any capture card advice, and I don't see the OS mentioned here.
    Which one(s) do you recommend for Windows 11?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jealousy91
    Between those two I'll go with the gv-usb but I want to see first how it compares with the Avermedia.
    Can't help you there. I have enough of these gadgets as it is!

Originally Posted by jealousy91
    In those images, the GV-USB looks like it was captured losslessly. The USB-Live2 not so much.
    All of those videos were definitely captured lossless.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you serious? Did you check the image and video comparison?

CX23102 is doing an excellent work (always the same comparisons I post from time to time to dismantle generic wrong comments): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVRkQQxODf8&list=PLCvrZEXO1laEwh0t1l_VM-U_n5a8mjab-

Some of the cards being mentioned are non-USA, non-NTSC native, and almost all praise for them comes from PAL. Realize that few cards can truly do both PAL and NTSC, and "also does" the non-native format. That means native best, non-native generally just passable or worse -- either quality, or just drivers/usability.
    This is your last workhorse to belittle the GV-USB2 (and maybe the USB-Live 2) . No evidence of a hardware more prone to a standard than another. I have seen both card performing well with PAL and NTSC material, provided a good signal is fed from an appropriate VCR
    Quote Quote