VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i am using Vegas Pro 17 to edit videos, and i need to import .ass subtitles over them, but vegas pro doesnt support .ass subtitles. So i though i could prerender the ass subtitles as .png image sequence and then import it in vegas and overlay it. I have Subtitle Edit, and i found that it can export subtitles to .png, but it exports each line as 1 png and adds the lenght of the png into .xml file (which again the vegas doesnt support)
    Is there a way to prerender it into sequence that has the correct lenght and framerate? (for example if 1 subtitle line lasts 1 second, its gonna export the line to 24 pngs (if the video is 24fps))
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try rendering them in front of a green screen
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't use Vegas.
    Does it handle .srt subtitles.
    This uses ffmpeg to convert .ass subs to .srt
    Code:
    ffmpeg.exe -i "video.ass" "video.srt"
    Or change the .srt format to one that is handled by Vegas.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Converting to SRT may lose much of the formatting of ASS subs. You could use ffmpeg to create a black video with the ASS subs. Then use that video as an overlay (and alpha channel?) in Vegas.

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -f lavfi -i color=c=black:s=720x480:r=29.94 -vf ass=subs.ass -to 00:02:00.000 -preset ultrafast subs.mp4
    Change the width, height, frame rate, and length values to suit your video. An hour long video with those properties took about 20 second to render on my computer (though the subs file was only 2 minutes worth). The resulting file was 2.2 MB. The only ass file I have has formatting problems but here's a sample frame:

[Attachment 66407 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, if the .ass is more than plain text (ie. colors, fonts, effects/ karaoke,formatting etc...) , then a .srt conversion will lose all those .

Another option to render an .ass properly is using an alpha channel mask (essentially a "transparent video") using masksub in avisynth using one of the vsfilter derivatives . Most of them (or all of them) require adding FlipVertical() to the end of the script. In the link below there is an example that uses the clip properties to automatically fill in the width,height, length, fps. You would use an appropriate source filter - eg. if you had MKV, you would use LWLibavVideoSource or FFVideoSource
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Xy-VSFilter

You can encode a video using lagarith or utvideo in RGBA mode using vdub2 or ffmpeg (or anything that accepts avs scripts) - so as a video that preserves the framecount , fps and timing . You may have to interpret the alpha channel in the vegas media bin (instead of "none") . Or you can use avfs - a "virtual" file instead of encoding something. But if you have a large project, massive number of edits, a "physical" intermediate can perform better
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Yes, if the .ass is more than plain text (ie. colors, fonts, effects/ karaoke,formatting etc...) , then a .srt conversion will lose all those .

Another option to render an .ass properly is using an alpha channel mask (essentially a "transparent video") using masksub in avisynth using one of the vsfilter derivatives . Most of them (or all of them) require adding FlipVertical() to the end of the script. In the link below there is an example that uses the clip properties to automatically fill in the width,height, length, fps. You would use an appropriate source filter - eg. if you had MKV, you would use LWLibavVideoSource or FFVideoSource
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Xy-VSFilter

You can encode a video using lagarith or utvideo in RGBA mode using vdub2 or ffmpeg (or anything that accepts avs scripts) - so as a video that preserves the framecount , fps and timing . You may have to interpret the alpha channel in the vegas media bin (instead of "none") . Or you can use avfs - a "virtual" file instead of encoding something. But if you have a large project, massive number of edits, a "physical" intermediate can perform better
    Please excuse me. I'd like to try transparent video with ASS subtitles and then see your reply in this forum. But I'm a beginner. Can you explain it to me in detail?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Install AviSynth and download VSFilter.
    Make a very simple AviSynth script that looks like this:

Code:
    MaskSub("C:\Subtitles.ass", video_width, video_height, fps, movie_length_in_frames)
    Flipvertical()
    Replace video_width and so on with the values you need for your project.

Use that AviSynth script as a video source in Vegas. May have to tell Vegas it has an alpha channel.
    Quote Quote