VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is for playing on a PC, of course. I've gotten into the habit of ignoring Dolby Vision options when it comes to videos, because I don't have a Dolby Vision-capable display (Samsung). Sucks, and I hate Samsung for it, but the tradeoff is I'm not dealing with luminance overshoot—the choice was easy.

But then I recalled that the Nvidia Shield can take any HDR format video and faithfully tonemap it for SDR displays. And I figured... yeah, that would be perfectly acceptable actually, if there's a software equivalent to that for Windows 10. Then I wouldn't have to re-encode the video and engender an nth-generation loss of quality, which can be very problematic with challenging movies like anything from the 80s.

So I'm looking for my options here. Ideally, I'd want to be able to just play the thing in my go-to player (MPC-BE) and have the software understand that I do not have a Dolby Vision display so I want it to output SDR. Or whatever it can get away with—like maybe they'll eventually figure out how to reconfigure Dolby Vision as HDR10+ in realtime. (Which I obviously understand to currently be not an option.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I would replace the display to avoid constant and never ending encodes. I'm sure you can find a previously enjoyed display fairly reasonable.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's fairly off-topic, but to answer directly: Nope. No TV does everything. The displays that support Dolby Vision are otherwise manifestly inferior to what I'm currently staring at. It would be, putting it gently, a massive headache to swap between displays just to ensure I'm seeing bona fide Dolby Vision.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wasn't talking about TV's. I was talking about Display Monitors. You said this is for viewing on a PC did you not? In answer to your question, no, the answer is no. And by the way, Standard dynamic range sucks.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    I wasn't talking about TV's. I was talking about Display Monitors. You said this is for viewing on a PC did you not?
    Indeed. Like many folks nowadays, I use a "TV" as my PC display. Although in my case it's something I've been doing since 2007.

Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    In answer to your question, no, the answer is no. And by the way, Standard dynamic range sucks.
    Interesting. So the Kodi software for the Nvidia Shield is able to do something that nobody has duplicated for Windows yet. I'm used to the opposite being the case.

SDR may not be ideal but I've had to deal with this tradeoff exactly one time so far. It's literally the first and only time Dolby Vision has been the only thing on offer. If I were using a WOLED display, I'd have to turn a blind eye to luminance artifacting; or, with an even older OLED tech, other sacrifices such as below-spec HDR brightness.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Asterra View Post
    But then I recalled that the Nvidia Shield can take any HDR format video and faithfully tonemap it for SDR displays..
    I don't think that your recollection is accurate. Dolby Vision is a proprietary technology and Dolby Vision decoding has not yet been successfully reverse-engineered. As I recall, the latest release of Kodi for Android only has the ability to pass through Dolby Vision for a Dolby-Vision-ompatible display to decode, assuming the GPU and HDMI connection allows it. Normally, a video that includes Dolby Vision or HDR10+ also has HDR10 available. Kodi has the ability to perform tone-mapping to simulate both HLG HDR and HDR10 on SDR displays.

[Edit]The answer to the question "Can someone clarify my options if I have a DoVi video but no DoVi screen?" is: Currently, there are no options. There is no way to simulate Dolby Vision.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Nov 2022 at 01:14.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if you'd be all out of options with DV on a non-DV TV. For good-enough playback, that is.

Having a regular SDR pc-monitor, for Dolby Vision profiles 7 and 8 I use Pot player. It can do a HDR to SDR tonemap for the baselayer. AFAIK dynamic metadata and additional videodata in FEL will not be processed.
    I play P5 DV with MPV player. With video output set to "gpu-next", P5 proprietary colorpace is handled acceptably.

I don't know how a (your) tv behaves on this though. And if the conversions would be "faithful" enough to your eyes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Personally, I'm saving up for a 43-inch 4K LED TV that can decode Dolby Vision to get the most out of my small UHD Blu-ray collection. Although I have tried a few different software players for playing 4K DolbyVision HDR video on my laptop with an SDR display, the quality of the tone-mapping they applied varies from not looking remotely like the colors found in nature to not looking close enough to the colors found in nature.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. https://github.com/Lypheo/vs-placebo can convert DOVI to SDR and HDR10 (not HDR10+!) and the results look fine to me. (only used it on a few test clips)
    Also, iirc .FranceBBs LUT Collection also contains some dovi to sdr LUTs.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IIRC libplacebo is used by MPV rendering when "gpu-next" is set. In case of P5 playback I'm curious on whether RPU is required to be processed before tonemapping down to SDR, or that it would completely be ignored for SDR output.

Watching DV on my pc merely serves quick and dirty monitoring to other things. Obviously a DV capable TV (and player) is a must-have for proper viewing.
    As for natural colors, to me some DV looks artificial and/or overdone. Even when presented properly, and where I put aside CGI blockbuster crap. I highly enjoy DV, but often it doesn't mirror my visual experience on real life and nature.
    Quote Quote