VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ok, i am trying to play a vcd on my dvd player. yes its compatable. i tried 5 diff avi files. bought a avi to vcd convertor burned with nero. go to play ni dvd player and after like 10 secs it stops. what is wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. What is your conversion process ?
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  3. i have no clue what that means. i use CuCusoft AVI to VCD to convert and NERO to burn it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You might want to try using the newbie's guide to making vcd's. Helped me alot. Use Virtualdub to extract the audio portion of your avi file and make it a big wav file. Then use TMPGENC to encode the avi to vcd format with the wav file as the audio source. I hope I described it right as I am a little new myself. It takes longer with the above named process however the result is way better than using any all-in-one.
    Quote Quote  
  5. i paid for this other program already. and where do i find the vcd easy guide thing? It is really getting on my nerves so much that i am ready to throw it all away. thanks for the help
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you are trying to convert files downloaded from the internet it isn't always as simple as you might think. The progam you are using may not be able to handle certain aspects of downloaded films. For example, many are films using the xvid codec and have variable bitrate audios. Even better encoders such as TPMG have problems with them. My suggestion would be to try a different encoder. Try DVDx which is freeware and available in the tools section of this webpage. It can convert to vcd and svcd but not DVD. Be wary of cheap encoders bought over the internet. Many are just rehashed versions of freeware with a different GUI. Some don't even change that!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I myself haven't had too much trouble with using TMP to encode, however with all the codec d/l's that you have to use it can cause conflicts with other programs. I have actually had it conflict with games made them unplayable not to mention the spyware that gets installed with the freeware versions. I guess it's all a metter of what works best for you. I suggest you browse around the newbie giudes and see which one works best. The last poster was right about paying for cheap junky programs as I paid for Ulead MF2 and it sucks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. the DVDx program converts avi's that you d/l?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Dork_mandie
    Egads, I have just given out bum information! I apologize for that. DVDx won't encode avi files, just mpg films. Sorry about that. It converts mpg2 to avi, vcd or svcd. There is actually a freeware program in the tools section called avi2vcd that converts avi to vcd as it's name suggests. The quality is not very good however.
    Quote Quote  
  10. yeah i bought this proggy, Cucusoft AVI to VCD. I am back and forth emails with their tech support and they do not have a very good attitude. So they are about to get a piece of my mind. I appreciate everyones help. i have been working on this for a week now and i am ready to give up. My hubby says to give it a few more days, but i dunno. Please keep the ideas coming and thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  11. Go to the tools section and download TMPG (the freeware version). It will allow you to encode your avi to vcd. It is one of the best encoders on the market. But a word of caution, some movies downloaded from the internet take a lot of work to prepare them for encoding. It isn't always as simple as load the film and hit an encode button. Ther are usually problems with bad frames or vbr audio. Just check the may guides on this web site on how to overcome these problems. Also it may take some work setting up TMPG. There is a guide on common TMPG problems on this site.
    Quote Quote  
  12. ok, someone is sending me a patch for TMPGenc...I am going to try that. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Get virtualdub as well. TMP is a great encoder but will without fail throw your finished product out of sync if you don't use vdub.
    Quote Quote  
  14. what does vdub do??
    Quote Quote  
  15. Vdub extracts the audio porrtion of your avi file and converts it into a wav file. Then when you use TMP, you use the avi file for the video and your wav file for audio it combines the 2 and voila you have a sync'd vcd, svcd. Just make sure you use the guides they are fairly cut and dry and easy to grasp.
    https://www.videohelp.com/divxtovcd.htm
    Quote Quote  
  16. for any looking for an answer to this problem like i was, all i had to do all this time, lol, is slow down my burn rate from 32x to 8x.

thats why my name is dork_mandie LOL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, go easy on yourself, we were all newbies once.

Actually, you've stumbled on a problem that many people don't realize and that a lot of people deny even exists. It really depends on your burner, the disk media and your set top player. Some people burn at high speed and have no problem whatsoever. Other people find out that burning at lower speeds makes a real difference. 8)
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote