VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

My nephew has a Dell Dimension 8300 computer with a Philips D028 DVD burner. He installed a Memorex DVD combo drive in it about 6 mo. ago. All was fine and dandy until approx. 2 wks ago. He tells me that when he tries to use it to read a cd or DVD, sometimes it crashes his computer. He has Win XP Home. He also told me that his burner is burning slow.(approx. 1 hr to burn a DVD) I told him to check to see if DMA was enabled for both drives. I'm assuming that he has both of them on the same IDE channel. He told me that one of the drives was set at PIO mode. So, he changed it to DMA, rebooted, and tried it again...still the same slow burn speeds. Does anyone think that his Memorex drive is causing the dilemma? I guess that I need to tell him to remove the Memorex and try it again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what brand of dvd media is he using? try changing the ide cable on that memorex combo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think that he is using Verbatim's. I told him when he first got the computer to only use name brand media, and that is what he does. I will tell him about the cable.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hey, someone from Kansas.

Tell him to do a burst rate test in Nero CD-DVD Speed. If he doesn't have Nero installed, he can get CD-DVD Speed for free at www.cdspeed2000.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tell him to do a burst rate test in Nero CD-DVD Speed. If he doesn't have Nero installed, he can get CD-DVD Speed for free at www.cdspeed2000.com
    What will the burst rate test in Nero tell him? Just wondering in case he asks me.

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by EGrier
    What will the burst rate test in Nero tell him? Just wondering in case he asks me.

Thanks for your help.
    Helps narrow down the problem when DMA is a suspected culprit.
    Quote Quote