VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I'm trying to remove the horizontal lines with Avisynth from a TV documentary that I have only found available on Youtube. I know, I know. I've read tons of forum posts here and already know how people feel about the crap quality of Youtube videos. However, the documentary has never been released on VHS or DVD, to my knowledge, so this is the only thing I have to work with.

Anyway, I have attached a clip that shows the lines that I want to see if they can be removed. It is most noticeable on the US Flag and the boys ringing the bells. Other than clipping out this bit of the video in AviDemux, I haven't done anything to it. Can anything be done in AviSynth, or is it something that I just have to live with?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. The usual approach is: downscale horizontally until the lines are gone then upscale back to the original resolution.
    Seeing that the video you downloaded 920x720 I would recommend to first look try a lower resolution version, with a bit of luck you might have a better change to get rid of these combing artifacts on a less processes lower resolution version of that video that way.
    Otherwise you probably would have to reduce the horizontal resolution probably down to 240 (or lower) and then upscale from there.
    -> I would recommend to try with a lower resolution version

Cu Selur

Ps.: got a link to the YouTube documentary?
    Last edited by Selur; 12th Sep 2021 at 11:21.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    The usual approach is: downscale horizontally until the lines are gone then upscale back to the original resolution.
    Seeing that the video you downloaded 920x720 I would recommend to first look try a lower resolution version, with a bit of luck you might have a better change to get rid of these combing artifacts on a less processes lower resolution version of that video that way.
    Otherwise you probably would have to reduce the horizontal resolution probably down to 240 (or lower) and then upscale from there.
    -> I would recommend to try with a lower resolution version

Cu Selur

Ps.: got a link to the YouTube documentary?
    Sure. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXbxoy4Mges
    Quote Quote  
  4. My guess would be:
    a. download the 320 version
    b. treat it as if it was tff interlaced (= apply QTGMC or another deinterlacer)
    c. resize to the resolution you want
    may be someone else has a better solution.
    You could also contact NBC whether the would/could provide you with a better version or point to where to get one.
    (no clue whether the version over at peacocktv.com is better)

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! I'll give that a try
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ha! read the text under the youtube site and there are a link to the file that was uploaded to youtube!
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/wk4i7hp3cd29pu5/911_Operation_Yellow_Ribbon_Gander_Newfo...dland.mp4/file
    sadly that file already contained these combing artefacts, so I probably would still use the 320 version.
    Quote Quote