VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone know why the Lagarith codec doesn't appear in the version of Virtualdub I have?. After I downloaded the codec from Videohelp, I copied the dl file into the Virtualdub folder (no idea if that's where it's supposed to go), opened up Virtualdub and clicked on compression and it did appear in the list. After closing Virtualdub I then opened it up again, but this time the Lagarith codec wasn't there. Also, Virtualdub has an annoying habit of not being able to detect my capture device, but a few days ago it could, now when I click capture avi nothing happens despite the capture device being plugged in and no settings have been changed. AmarecTV will also not work, and apparently it says you need to a buy a codec (which I've heard you don't as Lagarith will work). What kind of capture card and processors do these programmes require to work correctly?. I have a reasonably decent Windows laptop with an I5 processor with enough RAM and HDD space, so they should work, but all I'm getting are problems with capturing like audio lag (which others have experienced with Virtualdub) or that you need a certain codec etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Because you do not read what is set before you.

You downloaded the Portable version which has a Readme.txt file to explain the installation proceedure - not for Vdub since, AGAIN, you do not install a codec directly in to the software. You install in Windows.

The relevant pert of the file:

Normal installation:
    Right-click on lagarith.inf and select install to install the codec. If you
    do not see an install option, make sure you extracted the files, and are using
    the extracted lagarith.inf file.

Installing the 32bit version on Windows 64
    Extract all the files to a folder
    Open up a command prompt (start->run: cmd)
    Change directories to sysWOW64 ("cd C:\windows\syswow64")
    Type the following (replace example_path with the actual path to the extracted files), then hit enter: rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 c:\example_path\lagarith.inf
    This method can also be used for installing other 32bit codecs such as Huffyuv that install via a .inf file.

As for the rest......
    Quote Quote  
  3. Codecs must be system installed (run the setup program), not copied to VirtualDub's plugins folder. Make sure you install 32 bit lagarith for 32 bit VirtualDub, or the 64 bit version for 64 bit VirtualDub (you can install both on 64 bit systems).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Methinks the setup program is only available on the full install. Not the Portable version.

But the OP has already been told albeit for huffyuv how codecs are installed. Just does not read the replies.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Having installed Lagarith via the EXE, I don't recall having to go through the HUFFYUV INF rigmarole. I have it available in 32bit and 64bit VDub.

FYI, "Hofmand" has created an MSI installer for HUFF:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-web/12376-huffyuv-installed-win10.html#post81619
    Quote Quote