VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

My old Pioneer DVD burner (the Medion OEM version of the 108) is "acting up" and giving me power calibration errors so I just ordered the Pioneer DVR-115D from the MWAVE.COM website. I also ordered the ANYWARE ME-340U2F which is an external case designed for CD/DVD drives that uses USB 2.0 and/or FireWire for connection to the computer.

Call me lazy but I don't feel like "tearing apart" my current computer to install the new DVD burner because I plan on putting together a new computer within a few months (waiting for my $600 stimulus/tax relief check) so I do expect to install the DVD burner "proper" in the new computer but for now I was going to use the external case in order to make my life easy LOL

So I have two questions:

1.) Is there a Region Free firmware for the Pioneer DVR-115D and where do I get it? If there is no Region Free firmware then what is the best firmware available.

2.) Will I have any issues using the ANYWARE ME-340U2F external case and will USB 2.0 be good enough or am I better off using FireWire. The case supports both but although my computer has FireWire I must admit I've never used it and I'd rather just use the USB 2.0 option but I know FireWire is considered faster so ...

As for media I mostly use Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R and as for CD-R discs I've been using the Maxell CD-R Pro "Professional Quality" type since I can't seem to find Taiyo Yuden CD-R discs in retail stores anymore (I guess I should just mail order some TY CD-R discs next time I mail order the TY DVD-R discs).

Also I should note that most days I'm in Linux instead of Windows XP so I'm hoping the external case works A-OK for Linux. The website only says MS Windows and Mac OS but I figure if it works for both of those it should be fine under Linux. Currently using Linux Mint 4.0 "Daryna"

Last but not least I only use ImgBurn for burning.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    I just ordered this so I don't expect to get it for a good week or so ... I went for ground shipping so ...
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    get the latest version of mediacodespeededit and a firmware to patch.
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=25

load the firmware into mcse and at the bottom check increase read speed, rcp1 patch, and enable bitsetting. it's the best we can do currently.

just a hint though, firmware updates don't always work with an internal drive used externally. the firmware installer can't always find it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PIONEER drives work with using external enclosures that have the CYPRESS chipset. That drive you ordered looks like a rebadged BYTECC enclosure.

http://www.byteccusa.com/product/enclosure/ME-340/ME-340.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    PIONEER drives work with using external enclosures that have the CYPRESS chipset. That drive you ordered looks like a rebadged BYTECC enclosure.

http://www.byteccusa.com/product/enclosure/ME-340/ME-340.htm
    So is this good or bad? In other words if the external enclosure I bought is the same as the BYTECC you linked to then is that good or bad? Does it use the CYPRESS chipset or ... ???

The external case I bought was a "recommended" case for use with the Pioneer DVR-115D ... at least according to MWAVE.COM ... but who knows if that means it is actually good or it is just something they want to sell LOL

I see no mention on the BYTECC website nor the ANYWARE website as to what "chipset" that external enclosure uses. OK actually the BYTECC website says the oxford 911 chipset but that's for the ME-340F whereas what I bought appears to be the ME-340U2F and BYTECC doesn't specify the chipset unless it is assumed that all 340 models use the oxford 911 chipset. In which case I guess I am "screwed"?

Where can I find an external enclosure that uses this CYPRESS chipset?

P.S.
    Also thanks to aedipuss for the info you posted
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just found out the enclosure you ordered has the PROLIFIC chipset which works well with dvd burners. I'd say you're safe with what you ordered. It's hard to find those cypress chipset enclosures. Dealsonic.com has some external cases but their ratings on resellersratings.com has been not been good. I was looking to order a external case as well for one of my hard drives but their ratings are terrible for 2008. Also there's a huge ass thread at cdfreaks.com on external enclosures, just google it.

http://www.dealsonic.com/stpmblsmbaco1.html

http://www.dealsonic.com/usb20enfor52.html
    the above is only with USB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I did two things ...

1.) I e-mailed Anyware and got a confirmation that it uses a PROLIFIC chipset.

2.) I tried to cancel my order before it was shipped (asking for just the Pioneer to go on but not the enclosure). Even though I sent this two days (well 1 and 1/2 days) prior to it being shipped I got an e-mail saying too late it was shipped. So much for reading the cancellation e-mails Monday morning before shipping things out.

3.) I'll try it (the enclosure) and hope for the best. Do you think it is safe to attempt to update firmware or should I plug it in to do that? What I mean is the one side of my case is open so I don't have to install the drive to plug it into the IDE cable. I can do that with it "outside" the case ... just to update the firmware ... then use the enclosure afterwards.

P.S.
    Should have it this Friday (fingers crossed) otherwise it won't come til next week (damn UPS).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    3.) I'll try it (the enclosure) and hope for the best. Do you think it is safe to attempt to update firmware or should I plug it in to do that? What I mean is the one side of my case is open so I don't have to install the drive to plug it into the IDE cable. I can do that with it "outside" the case ... just to update the firmware ... then use the enclosure afterwards.

P.S.
    Should have it this Friday (fingers crossed) otherwise it won't come til next week (damn UPS).
    It's always best to upgrade the firmware by installing it internally into your pc. Although I've read some have done the firmware upgrades with the drive in the enclosure but the enclosure would also need to be powered down after flashing the drive. As long as you have the drive hooked up to your 80 wire ide cable, even if it's outside the case, that should update the firmware ok. Then reboot the pc to make sure the firmware upgrade went ok. If it shows the latest firmware then go ahead and install the drive into the enclosure w/the PROLIFIC chipset.

Are you going to be using the enclosure via firewire with the Pioneer 115D drive? If I'm not mistaken using the usb port would render lower burn speeds. Test both connections out and see which one burns better. You may also wanna post your question at Cdfreaks.com regarding the PROLIFIC chipset for your enclosure. I do know for sure the PROLIFIC chipset worked well with the BENQ 1620, 1640, 1650 & 1655 dvd burners. That huge enclosure thread at Cdfreaks.com is very long.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info.

My computer has FireWire and UBS 2.0 and apparently the enclosure comes with both types of cables so really I can do either but I was leaning towards just using USB 2.0

I usually burn 8x DVD media at 4x and 16x DVD media at 6x so I am guessing USB 2.0 will be good enough.

Oh well now I just have to wait for it to come ...

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    usb 2.0 is more likely to be interrupted by the system then firewire. i'd go firewire if it was me.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FulciLives let us know how things turn out for you.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    PIONEER drives work with using external enclosures that have the CYPRESS chipset
    Having tried about 3 or 4 external enclosures that did not work with Pioneer 111s or later, I want to make damn sure the next one I get has the right chipset and 80-wire cabling inside. Having a firewire option also could be a plus. I kept putting this off because it wasn't real urgent, and I didn't have the patience to read through another 40-page thread . . . . But I'd like to identify a good, specific enclosure model for this soon, and where best to order it.. There must be people here who are using one successfully with a Pioneer 112 or 115.

If I'm not mistaken using the usb port would render lower burn speeds. Test both connections out and see which one burns better.
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    usb 2.0 is more likely to be interrupted by the system then firewire. i'd go firewire if it was me.
    I've done a fair amount of two-recorder stuff -- mostly disc duplication -- over the past few years. One burner was internal, the other in a USB enclosure. They were always matched -- both 8x burners for awhile, then both 16x burners for the last couple years. With very rare exceptions, the external one was always used for reading and the internal one for the burning. In that configuration. I never burn at max. possible speeds, and I never had a problem from system interruption. Not sure how that might differ if the external one was burning. (I've done this on a couple of OS platforms, though Linux wasn't one of them.) Always flashed a drive for Region Free etc. while it was connected to a main IDE controller, rather than outside.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well everything came in the mail today.

First I hooked up the Pioneer DVR-115D using the internal IDE cable and booted into WinXP Pro SP2 and downloaded the firmware and patched it (thanks again to aedipuss for that info). I then rebooted. The first boot said Firmware 1.13 and after the firmware upgrade it said 1.18 so the firmware upgrade appears to have worked.

After the firmware upgrade I did one burn while in WinXP Pro with it still connected to the internal IDE cable. The burn seemed to go A-OK. I used ImgBurn 2.4.1.0 and did a 4x speed DVD burn to a Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R from an ISO image. In ImgBurn I had OPC (Optimal Power Calibration) set to ON and it did not fail. See my old Pioneer DVR-108 started to fail the OPC and even if I turned that off it would still sometimes fail to write or it would write and sometimes fail the verification etc.

Next up I turned off the computer and re-connected the two internal drives (an old Pioneer DVD-ROM and an old Pioneer 108 DVD burner) and put the new Pioneer 115D into the Anyware case. I should point out that I think the case is built A-OK ... nothing great but nothing bad either. It has a small fan in the back and everything seemed to be in "good shape" with no loose parts etc. and everything plugged in rather nicely although I did have some troubles getting the included screws to line up and some couldn't go in as far as others but even with some of the screws "sticking out" a bit the outer case did slide on A-OK without bumping into them and the DVD drive is more than secure. So from a "build" standpoint I think the case is A-OK but you might want to try another set of screws rather than those provided. Oh and there are 2 screws that hold it all together and while they are "secure" I couldn't get them to get super tight and I gave up rather than strip them. My guess is they weren't long enough? I don't know. It seems "sturdy" enough. I put it on top of the computer case (mini/mid tower).

With the computer off I connected the Anyware unit to the computer using the supplied USB cord and turned on it's power then turned on the computer and booted into Linux Mint 4.0 "Daryna" which is based on Ubuntu 7.10 and yes I know Ubuntu 8.04 just hit yesterday but Linux Mint 5.0 is due out soon and it is based on Ubuntu 8.04

I then did two burns using ImgBurn 2.4.1.0 which is installed thanks to WINE and again I turned on OPC and burned with Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R media. The first burn I did at 6.0 and the second at 4.0 from two different ISO files. The 6.0 burned at an average of 5.8 with a max of 6.1 with the buffer at 100% the whole way and the device buffer going from 92% - 98% with the occassional 100% and seemed to burn fine. Same thing with the disc I burned at 4.0 although here the avearge was 3.9 with a max of 4.1 and again the buffers did more-or-less the same thing.

In short I am happy and I thank you all for your input

P.S.
    I'll try to remember to post back in a couple of weeks or so with an update but I hope it will be a simple "all is still working fine" type of update.

Also I just realized that I didn't have a chance yet to do any ripping so I'll try that (both CD and DVD) and report back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good to hear everything is going well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a quick update.

I've been using the Pioneer DVR-115D in the Anyware ME-340U2F external case connected to my computer via USB 2.0 and since I last posted I have burned several DVD-R discs and CD-R discs and all seems good with that ... I have also ripped some store bought DVD discs and CD discs (using EAC with the CD discs) and again all seems well.

So as it turns out this Anyware case is a good deal especially considering it didn't cost much at all.

As always thank you to all for your help

Quote Quote