VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. On windows I'm using handbrake with LibDVDNav to rip a dvd with subtitles to mp4. Converting the movie is easy, but I can't find a way to get the subtitles to be included with the video. On the subtitles tab I have chosen 1 English (Wide Screen) [VOBSUB] with forced Only and Burn In checked; and have tried supplying a name. What am I missing?
    I can't find a single post here about subtitles but that just means the search feature doesn't work.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not a Handbrake user, but as I understand it 'forced Only and Burn In' would mean that the subtitles are only get added if they are flagged as 'forced subtitles', it might be that the subtitles you want are not flagged that way. So I would suggest trying whether it helps to disable 'forced Only', also if you don't want them to be hardcoded, you should also disable the 'burn in' option.

Cu
    Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's is a whole sub-forum dedicated to subtitles !!!

https://forum.videohelp.com/forums/42-Subtitle
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you
    I'd like to move this thread to that subform, don't see that I can do that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. You can not do that.

The 'proper' way is to contact admin (see 'contact us' on the bottom of this screen), quote your topic and politely ask for it to be moved.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lastone View Post
    On windows I'm using handbrake with LibDVDNav to rip a dvd with subtitles to mp4. Converting the movie is easy, but I can't find a way to get the subtitles to be included with the video. On the subtitles tab I have chosen 1 English (Wide Screen) [VOBSUB] with forced Only and Burn In checked; and have tried supplying a name. What am I missing?
    I can't find a single post here about subtitles but that just means the search feature doesn't work.
    Thanks

Have a look at VidCoder, its 100% free and not trialware. I use it convert various video to x265 MP4 as it also uses handbrake but also with full GPU support, it can also open DVD/Blu-ray directly and allow you to add subtitles as forced/burn in or just add as optional subtitles to the output
    Quote Quote  
  7. Does 'hardcoded' mean you can't not show them? That'd be ok for this specific. I will try non-force. Did see your post, selur.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    'Hardcoded/burnt-in' means just that. They are permanently shown as the video plays and you have no way to turn them off.

Not sure about Handbrake/Vidcoder since these are not tools I use. Neither do I typically concern myself with subs (even in a language I do not understand.). But these programs can import .srt subs prior to encode - would have to turn of the other options - but whether they are still then 'burnt-in' I know not.

Of course you have to separately rip the subs from the dvd first - SubRip is the tool for that.

Another possibility would let Handbrake create the .mp4 and then use MyMp4boxGui to mux the subs which I then guess are optional and not hard-coded
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think turning off "force" worked - now have the subtitles.
    Thanks everyone!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For the future, if you don't have a specific technical need for MP4 it's a lot easier to do with MakeMKV. You will end up with an MKV file containing whatever you pre-selected and then with MKVToolnix you can then delete or add tracks, select 'default' of 'forced' (not burned in).
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by lastone View Post
    I think turning off "force" worked - now have the subtitles.
    Forced subs are those that are displayed even when you have subs turned off. They are typically used when a character in a film speaks a different language than the main language of the movie. For example, American actors in an American film will normally speak English. But a Germain character may come on and speak a German. Forced subs would be used in that case so the English speakers can understand what the German character said. To get the main subs you don't want to specify forced subs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I see, thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the subtitle forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote