VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used to play OGM files all the time but then I reformated my PC, I installed the OGM codecs and now everytime I play an OGM file the video doesn't responed. It does the "Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close." At the same time "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." also. It does it with every player(like Zoomplayer), not just WMP.

Is there a way to uninstall every codec & video player from my PC?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Wel, first off, OGM is a media container and not a codec, so make sure that an AVI encoded with the same video codec as the OGMs you are having problems with can be played properly, this will either confirm that it is indeed a problem with playing OGM files or instead may show that this is a problem playing back a video stream using a certain codec such as XviD. I suggest using Gspot to determine this.

If you can indeed confirm that it is the OGM container you are having problem with, ensure, even if you have to do it again, that you have installed the Ogg DirrectShow components (usually has the filename OggDS0995.exe for the newest verrsion)

If it turns out to be a problem with codecs or you just want to remove codecs individually from your system (and if you are on Windows XP, if not, let me know) open up the device manager and expand the "Soubd, video, and game controllers" menu. At the bottom should be "Video Codecs; right-click on this and click properties, then go to the properties tab, here is a list of DirectShow video codecs installed on your system. You can highlight any of them and just click on the remove button.

Edit: Or you can just use DXMan like David K. suggested in another thread.

Hope this helps,

Prospero
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ogg_vorbis_1 (0x674f) Ogg Vorbis

Codec not intalled

I have tried many diffrent OGM files and they all say that.

BTW when I play OMG files I get that green icon at the bottom & 2 of those film icons.....

I think I'll just remove all codecs are instal the OGM codecs again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay the problem is fixed, I might have install the codec twice or something.
    Quote Quote  
  5. when you see "ogg_vorbis codec not installed" it's talking about the vorbis audio codec. This message is normal in that there is no specific codec for vorbis audio, the Vorbis decoder handles the decoding of Ogg audio. If you click "render" in Gspot and you have the proper Ogg DirectShow filters installed, it will report that the codec cannot be found, but rendering was successful anyway.

Anyway, like I said above, make sure that you have this installed before you do anything, but it sounds like you do already.

http://tobias.everwicked.com/oggds.htm

Oh, and you might install a different XviD distribution (I get mine at www.betanews.com) since most, but not all OGMs use this as the video codec. Or you can download and install ffdshow and tell it to decode XviD files, which is what most people prefer.

Good Luck,

Prospero
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay thanks

But I need more help. After removing all the codecs MPEG files arn't working. I tried to install mpeg codecs but they still don't work.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MPEG isn't the only problem. The only video that runs now is OGM, but nothing else works.....
    Quote Quote