VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, great site here and people really seem to know their stuff. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a problem I have when it comes to capturing a PAL60 signal through S-Video.

As it stands, I can capture PAL60 perfectly through my composite leads. However, when I change over to S-video, the colours almost disappear and a vertical green bar about an inch thick appears on the right side of the screen. I say the colours almost disappear because if you look really closely, then there is a very faint layer of colour.

When I switch to normal PAL, the S-video captures no problem whatsoever. So there is nothing wrong with the cable. The problem only occurs when I switch over to PAL60.

Any ideas as to why this happens?

I use an ADS VideoXpress capture device, to capture video from my Xbox outputting a PAL60 signal. I have tried every capture program there is and I have the same problem on all apps.

Could my S-video cable have an issue with PAL60?

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appeciated.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    While we wait for someone with direct experience, I'd like to point out that PAL60 is a hack to get TV sets to display 60Hz. video. It wasn't intended to be captured like a real format.

I think, but don't know, that PAL capture cards wouldn't know what to do with PAL60 chroma, hence the monochrome capture.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    True, but the thing is, I can capture PAL60. I just use a program called Dscaler to force VirtualDub into doing it. But this is only through composites.

I've recently started capturing with my S-video cable and that's when the problem started. If I can capture PAL60 through composite, why not S-Video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bagshot
    True, but the thing is, I can capture PAL60. I just use a program called Dscaler to force VirtualDub into doing it. But this is only through composites.

I've recently started capturing with my S-video cable and that's when the problem started. If I can capture PAL60 through composite, why not S-Video?
    I speculate that the capture card doesn't recognize the chroma. It's a hardware issue. Are you saying the same card will work with composite PAL60?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    I speculate that the capture card doesn't recognize the chroma. It's a hardware issue. Are you sating the same card will work with composite PAL60?
    Yep, PAL60 through composite is fine, but PAL60 through S-Video has major colour problems. And yes, both through the same capture device.

I've sent emails to ADS but they don't seem in any rush to reply.

Maybe like you said, my device just will not accept PAL60 through the S-video input. Very annoying, though.
    Quote Quote