VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Ok i will try it out soon.

How can I make this 3D effect like the Dollar at the start? I mean how can I create it? I like it more than the 2D effect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOWfz7ZN6PE
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by hello0 View Post
    Ok i will try it out soon.

How can I make this 3D effect like the Dollar at the start? I mean how can I create it? I like it more than the 2D effect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOWfz7ZN6PE
    Did you mean the spinning dollar sign?

That's a "3D" effect . Notice it's NOT a "flat" 2D layer like the previous example . There is depth to it and it looks like a real object. The spinning of a flat 2D layer is known as "2.5d" , where as 3D implies full geometry and vertices

For free 3D effects you need something like blender . The old debugmode wax could do it too. There are some plugins that can enable it in 2.5d software, but "real" 3D is best done in real 3D software

EDIT:
    I added a spining dollar sign animation you can use as an alpha channel overlay
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364138-gif-animation/page7#post2507709

Blender would be the best free software for 3d animations (by far) , but there is a learning curve and the GUI is not that intuitive.
    https://www.blender.org/
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 9th Jan 2018 at 23:01.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks the Dollar sign looks good.I Put it in my Video Editor and it looks great.
    Unfortunatly I dont know how to create 3D effects in Blender/Wax. Is there a tutorial for this?
    I wanted to make a Pinball Machine Bumper
    Last edited by hello0; 24th Mar 2018 at 19:22.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hello0 View Post
    Unfortunatly I dont know how to create 3D effects in Blender/Wax. Is there a tutorial for this?
    I wanted to make a Pinball Machine Bumper
    There are many tutorials for blender. Start with some introductory / basic tutorial. Wax is older software and discontinued. I wouldn't waste time with it . But it can still do simple 3d things

I don't know if there are specific tutorials for "Pinball Machine Bumper" , but you have to search

If you describe what you wanted more specifically, maybe someone can point you in the right direction on some tutorials
    Quote Quote  
  5. But what did you want to do specifically ? Model a static pinball machine bumper ? Then what ? Is it going to part of a video animation, a still image artwork poster, or what etc...

You would need to learn modelling basics first. Take a look at some youtube tutorials on blender and modelling . There are some very basic intro tutorials ; start with those

Next is texturing. Then lighting and rendering.

There is a lot of learning to do if you're starting from scratch
    Quote Quote  
  6. I wanted to have the same effect as the Dollar, a spinning Bumper. And put in in my video.

Ok thanks I will look it up!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Before you even start, you need to think in "3d"

You've provided a reference image, but it's only 1 side. You have to think what it looks like on the edges, and the opposite side - especially if it "spins" on it's y-axis

I'm not really into pinball, so excuse me if I'm using the wrong terminology, but these are usually not "discs" only. They are elevated above the floor of the pinball machine by a stem. When the ball hits , they light up. Those holes in your reference image are where screws or pins go to attach it. Or were you just looking at the cap part?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I was looking only for the round cap part, so that it spins with edges etc. in 3D
    I guess this will take time because i have never used blender!
    Quote Quote  
  9. hello i have a new question, the cloud in 1:14, is it made with Blender too?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdssuxDdqKk
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by hello0 View Post
    hello i have a new question, the cloud in 1:14, is it made with Blender too?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdssuxDdqKk
    What about the caps ? did you give up ?

The clouds can be made with a number of 3d applications, including blender, but you can probably "fake" it with 2d compositing too

The raindrops need a 3d application and liquid/particle solver, especially if they fall and splash around interacting with the glass and icecubes. You also need 3d for convincing reflections/refractions and environment mapping, but you can "fake" some stuff with 2d applications

It's put together with 3d compositing, or "matchmoving", where the added live action shot is camera tracked, and the 3d elements are put in.

This is a much more difficult complexity level compared to the pinball bumper cap
    Quote Quote  
  11. No I did not give up, still trying!

Ok thanks for the explanation!
    Will this be saved as .mov too or another?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by hello0 View Post
    Will this be saved as .mov too or another?
    You can export many different types of formats from 3D applications (you have many options)

The mov is a 2D video, but you can export 3D assets from 3D applications
    Quote Quote  
  13. ok. Could you please tell me, how much would this cloud effect cost if I wanted someone to make it ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by hello0 View Post
    ok. Could you please tell me, how much would this cloud effect cost if I wanted someone to make it ?
    It depends on many things , including

1) who (or what company) is doing it . You can contract out people to do it for cheaper . For example VFX students, some indie FX generalists

2) What exactly you wanted in terms of deliverables. The more "stuff" required, the higher the quality, the more time required, thus the more expensive

This shot is not as simple as overlaying a MOV onto some background

You just mentioned "cloud". Is that all you wanted ? Because there is a whole bunch of things going on there - the lighting/lightning of cloud, the "rain" drops, the physics of bouncing in the glass, the reflections and refractions of the materials with the source footage (the background), the camera scene tracking and compositing (matchmoving) . In that example, it didn't really act like rain, it was more hardbody physics like ice . The results can be a lot worse than that video, or bit better , or anything in between

Very likely, the original camera backplate shot was an empty glass, and the cloud , ice/rain , icecubes were composited in.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I didn't have any k-pop boy band members near me , so I had to borrow my neighbor for this shot (apparently he has some sort of skin disorder )
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364138-gif-animation/page8#post2520392

This uses rain/fluid instead of ice. This type of effect / shot is more difficult than a MOV overlay, because of the background reflections and refractions (the program has to perform calculations like IOR - index of refraction , so you wouldn't be able to overlay it in an editor, it has to be done in a 3D program if you want it to look right)

If you're still stuck on the pinball bumper cap , I can make the model for you. The dollar sign model was "easy" because because all computers have dollar sign fonts , letters etc..., and you just extrude it. It's very easy to do. But the texturing and lighting might be difficult at first for beginners

If you skip the modelling part, you should learn how animate, texture, and render in blender. Then you can make custom animations the way you want to instead of a simple spin move
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi, yes I wanted the cloud and the raindrops with lighting etc.

Thanks for the cloud effect, it looks very nice! I also like how the cloud is moving. How did you do it?

Yes I am still stuck on the Pinball cap. Yes it would be nice if you could do it.
    I created my own design of the cap, if you want, I post it here.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Long post warning....

Originally Posted by hello0 View Post
    Yes I am still stuck on the Pinball cap. Yes it would be nice if you could do it.
    I created my own design of the cap, if you want, I post it here.
    The first one I made was a flat disc on the back, because I used the single image you linked to. The importance of reference images cannot be emphasized enough. You need multiple views, front , back, side. There are rings that fit the stalk base. The front center is elevated and tilted . There are ridges on the front side that go up and down with the triangle pattern (not a flat disk) , but the back side dome is smooth
    [Attachment 45701 - Click to enlarge]

This OBJ model is not to scale, and it's just an approximation. You can import OBJ's into any 3D application including blender. There are simple material zones included (mtl file, all 3d programs should automatically load them). Materials and lighting are often not transferrable between render engines and programs, so the materials will look different in other programs. So you can swap them out with your own materials (e.g. maybe you want red instead of blue, or silver lettering instead of yellow etc...) . You can add dirt, or scratches to simulate a used cap etc... But with the modelling out of the way, you can concentrate on animating the object(s) or camera(s).

I attached the same pre-rendered style spin animation mov with alpha channel as the dollar sign below
    gif preview (no alpha)
    [Attachment 45702 - Click to enlarge]

The spin animation render was an opaque (no light passes through) render example . But in pinball reference pictures, the light underneath shines up and it does penetrate through the thin plastic (it's transluscent) . So you can play with the materials and lighting to get the look you want

eg. lighting + transluscent material example
    [Attachment 45703 - Click to enlarge]

Hi, yes I wanted the cloud and the raindrops with lighting etc.

Thanks for the cloud effect, it looks very nice! I also like how the cloud is moving. How did you do it?

It's difficult to explain everything... but I will try to describe in general terms how to do it in any program, including blender

Animation in all programs is done by keyframes (aka "keyframe animation"). But "automatic" animation can be done through simulations. Simulations are a bit like "science experiments" , where you set the parameters like gravity, wind, mass etc... and you run it and the program calculates the results. For example, the rain and cup filling up is an example of a fluid simulation where it calculates collisions an interactions with the cup

For clouds - in any 3D application, they are known as rendering "volumes" . Anything that is smoke, fire, gas, mist, etc... effect related - those sorts of things - it's really a variation on particle simulations.

Search google for "blender clouds" and there are many tutorials. There are some cloud generator python scripts and plugins too. There are many different types of clouds ; many different types of "looks." I suggest you search Google Images first for "blender clouds" to "see" the type of cloud you're going after, then find the links for the appropriate tutorials.

But some tutorials are for "static" or non moving clouds. If it's not a simulation (with physics, particle forces, turbulence etc..), then you can still use multiple instances of static clouds to combine them into a bigger cloud and animate them with keyframes. You animate the translation, rotation, scale, parameters over time and you can make pretty much any cloud movement or effect. Parts of it can grow, others can shrink. A cloud might be wispy thin on the left edge, but thick and whorly on the right, puffy on top, etc... You can also combine simulation instances to get the look you want.

The "lightning" is basically shining a light underneath. You animate the brightness on/off, or stronger/weaker. It takes a bit of knowledge about lighting and rendering (and different render engines "behave" differently) .

Lighting the scene is important. The primary light in that scene is the sun, and it's from the left (you can tell from the shadows of the cup, arm) . The cloud highlights match and are also on the top and left of the cloud. If the cloud was lit differently, it might look out of place

You can add noise patterns, fractals, to enhance the "angry" look of a "storm" cloud. You can grade it darker, to make it look more "gloomy", because it's supposed to be a rain cloud. You might not want to do those things with a sunshine "happy" puffy cloud , or in a happy boy band music video. The "lightning" was actually more "white" at first, but I made it more purple/blue. However, those are more in the category of "finishing touches"
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thanks for the detailed explanation!

This will help me !

Actually it would look cooler if it has it on its backside too, like the dollar sign which is the same on all sides, what do you say?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by hello0 View Post

Actually it would look cooler if it has it on its backside too, like the dollar sign which is the same on all sides, what do you say?
    Up to you , it's your project

I uploaded the .obj model above - it's very easy to stick 2 of them back to back and animate them that way

Because it's "dome shaped", it might be too thick when you put them back to back, but you can leave it like that or flatten it out.
    Quote Quote  
  20. ok thanks i will look into it !
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hello, if i make this spinning cube with shining lights, must the lightbeam go over the edge of the cube? minute 2:25
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwgTh894jA
    Last edited by hello0; 9th Sep 2018 at 09:36.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by hello0 View Post
    Hello, if i make this spinning cube with shining lights, must the lightbeam go over the edge of the cube? minute 2:25
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwgTh894jA
    I don't understand your question , can you clarify ?

If you were to make this in a 3d application, you would need multiple light sources
    Quote Quote  
  23. I mean, will it be like a spotlight that comes out of the holes, or will it shine only in the holes?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by hello0 View Post
    I mean, will it be like a spotlight that comes out of the holes, or will it shine only in the holes?
    You can make it come out of the holes if you want, as if it were a light source.

Most 3d renderers behave like real world lighting. So think of lights as real world lighting, like a photographer would think of lighting. So you also have indirect lighting, lights from everywhere such as overhead lighting, other boxes, cell phones, street lights, that bounce and reflect/refract off surfaces. In that video , there are literally hundreds or thousands of light sources .

But if you *only* used lighting out of holes, it would look very dark, because you don't have all the other external light sources

But unlike real world, you have full control do make it do or look how you want it to look in a 3d application - you can do many "fake" things or sci-fi
    Quote Quote  
  25. Question to the cap again: Can the light of the cap shine on and off as well when the cap is spinning?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by hello0 View Post
    Question to the cap again: Can the light of the cap shine on and off as well when the cap is spinning?

The cap itself isn't emitting light.

That 1st sample gif had external lighting. The 2nd gif had a light source placed behind the cap and was animated on/off

Yes, you can animate light on/off at any frequency (faster/slower)

You can set them however you want, to glow through the plastic (translucency) if you want , or to have it opaque and only emit through the screwholes

If you wanted 2 front sides, you can place a light or light(s) in between both so they come out the screwholes , or if the "plastic" material was transluscent and thin enough it would glow through the plastic like a real pinball cap such as in the reference pics
    Quote Quote  
  27. I took 2 copies of the obj above, and turned one 180 degrees and positioned it to cover the back. Since it's a symmetrical object now, you really only need 180 degrees for the loop . eg. if the full loop was 90 frames, you only need 45 frames. I put a light in the middle to simulate it lighting "on" . The materials have to be translucent in order to transmit light , otherwise it will be opaque

Here is a seamless light "on" loop, and a matching light "off" loop . You can mix and match on/off layers to change on/off timing in any editor, because they are the same frames otherwise (e.g. if you wanted it to flicker faster/slower, or extend the duration shorter/longer for either the on or off period)

e.g. 45 on / 45 off
    [Attachment 46765 - Click to enlarge]

e.g.
    *epilpsy warning*
    3 on / 3 off
    [Attachment 46766 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  28. Thanks for the demonstration
    Quote Quote  
  29. I have a question to AviUtl

You can make snow and other effects with that software? Or am I wrong?
    Quote Quote