VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

After months of trials and errors with everything I have managed to capture the home video tapes using virtualdub/ezcap/vcr and a passthrough tbc. Generally, I am happy with the quality. But do you recommend some must use filters in virtual dub? And with what settings? I know there are limitless possibilities but do not want to spend too much time if the end product is not that noticeable. A little sharpening could be good as I turned it all the way down in video proc amp. And some color tuning but that could be done in premiere pro as well

Later, I will do title and timeline editing in Premiere Pro, and export to a digital file and keep it on PC. I know it is not preferable but if you are going to use it only on PC would you deinterlace the video?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sh00002.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	37917Click image for larger version

Name:	sh00003.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	37918Click image for larger version

Name:	sh00004.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	37919Click image for larger version

Name:	sh00001.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	37920
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a list of popular VD filters with some explanations: http://www.infognition.com/VirtualDubFilters/

I think many here will recommend using AVISynth for advanced filtering.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The captures look like pretty decent captures of VHS material. I don't see anything obvious that needs to be fixed, other than levels and maybe a little color correction. The best place to do those is in your NLE, and since you're using a good one, I'd just skip doing anything in VirtualDub and AVISynth and simply do your grading in Premiere. It is a far better tool for that particular purpose.
    Quote Quote