VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Elon Musk promised, his new mobile phone will surely will retire all DSLRs.

It will use revolutionary flat lenses, which are superior to the traditional curved lenses.
    Last edited by Truthler; 18th Feb 2022 at 12:06.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    No it will not retire DSLRs, DSLR's and phones are different tolls for different purposes one cannot replace the other.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    No it will not retire DSLRs, DSLR's and phones are different tolls for different purposes one cannot replace the other.
    Cheaper DSLRs (under 2000 Dollars) won't stand the competition with the top phones which will be released in 2022 and 2023.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Again, DSLR's and phones are different tools for different purposes one cannot replace the other.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Again, DSLR's and phones are different tools for different purposes one cannot replace the other.
    If you say that in the mid 2010s, you will be praised for your wisdom, but in 2022, it is a very...very misleading statement. The level where DSLRs can withstand the newest top phones starts over 2000 $ price.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try to do non-faked soft-focus (shallow DoF) on a phone's lens some time. Try to do bulb (looonnnnggg shutter time) shots. Try to do proper perspective-correcting shots (nope - digital warping doesn't do it right). Try to go beyond the limited focal length range permitted by your phone (even the best ones).

DLSRs are being edged out by their own manufacturer's mirrorless equivalents, not by phones.

Flat lenses have benefits, but they also have dectractors. But that Tesla phone business is just VAPORWARE. And expensive at that. No need to shill that.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Try to do non-faked soft-focus (shallow DoF) on a phone's lens some time. Try to do bulb (looonnnnggg shutter time) shots. Try to do proper perspective-correcting shots (nope - digital warping doesn't do it right). Try to go beyond the limited focal length range permitted by your phone (even the best ones).

DLSRs are being edged out by their own manufacturer's mirrorless equivalents, not by phones.

Flat lenses have benefits, but they also have dectractors. But that Tesla phone business is just VAPORWARE. And expensive at that. No need to shill that.

Scott
    He promised such bookeh which is identical to DSLRs, it will use highly advanced A.I. for that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    He's promised a lot of stuff, most of which hasn't happened yet, or not in the way that he's promised. Why keep believing all he says as face value?

Scientific skepticism is a good thing to have. I heartily recommend it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Go tell an electrician all what you need in 2022 is a swiss knife and see his face reaction.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will Elon's new phones save images as .raw, have a full frame sensor and interchangeable lenses? If not, and it will still fit in your pocket, it won't dent sales of DSLRs. When will people realise that a phone camera is for snapshots, not photography?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One point I find is taking photos outside with a phone I cannot always see the screen as clearly as I can a DSLR screen.. anyone else have this problem
    Quote Quote  
  12. Elon Musk also smokes a ton of pot, which is a prerequisite for believing "his new mobile phone will surely retire all DSLRs".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Elon Musk is a moron. Yes, rich. At least for now. But a fool and his money get parted eventually. Wait for it. This is the same numbnuts that buys Dogecoin.

I like how Starlink was recently partially obliterated by a typical space storm.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2022/02/12/spacex-starlink-explainer-storm-sun/
    Starlink started out as a good idea to provide internet to remote places, but ol' numbnuts there decided it was going to bankrupt ISPs, or some such BS. But dig deeper. Follow the money. Starlink was just Musk being Musk, ie taking government money.

Tesla, for example, makes almost all of its money not by selling cars, but by selling government credits, followed by risky bets on cryptocurrency.

Hyperloop, anybody? Silently (and conveniently) forgotten. After the government money, of course.

So if he has some dumb idea to make phones take impossible pictures, give you handjobs, or whatever, you can bet it has government handouts somewhere.

Musk is a con man and showman, not some sort of genius. He says lots of BS, almost none of it accurate. The few successes that "he" had are from nothing he actually did. Hell, he didn't even found Tesla, as many Tesla lemmings believe. He bought himself a seat on the Tesla board, then pushed out the founders. He's no Thomas Edison.

"He definitely goes where there is government money.":
    https://www.govtech.com/budget-finance/elon-musk-business-empire-funded-with-49-billio...subsidies.html
    He found a sucker to give him free money. And it's us, via our government. He's the queeniest of the welfare queens.

He's nothing more than mouthy frat-boy prick rich kid from South Africa. And with a punchable face.

I wish people would stop following fools off a cliff.

BTW, don't bother reading Musk's Wikipedia page. His flock of sheep protect it, and it's loaded down with BS. It's almost a shrine, a love letter, literary fellatio.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 18th Feb 2022 at 22:24.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Lordsmurf is so on the money with this one.

California passed a law, and I'm fairly certain that the EPA adopted it that states that 10% of all vehicles a manufacturer sells have to be zero emissions, which effectively means electric. If they sell less than 10%, there is a fine in the form of a tax burden, if they sell more they get so-called carbon credits, which are typically valued between $4 and $6 and they can be used to offset an individual's or company's tax burden. Carbon credits can legally be sold to companies' that do not meet the 10% threshold to allow them to lower their "carbon footprint".

Tesla, since they only produce electric vehicles, earns massive amounts of carbon credits every year, which they turn around and sell to other companies. That's how they make their money. the actually lose money on each car they sell, if viewed from the business model of a usual vehicle manufacturer, but they make a ton of cash from companies eager to meet EPA requirements.

Since these are ultimately tax credits, it's the tax payers that foot the bills.

BTW, Musk is not the only one profiting from this scheme, farmers do the same thing, if you have a few bucks, do yourself a favor and buy some farm land, plant a few crops to show that you grow food and then sell the credits you earn every year per acre and make yourself a nice little profit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the whole "farmers" thing pisses me off. It's mostly rich landowners, and companies. There's very few actual independent farmers left in the 21st century, and most of them are extremely well off. Politicians have wanted to scrap that century old freebie for decades now, but it never happens.

At least Tesla will soon lose its piggy bank, as Ford and GM and others ramp up their EVs. Then watch that stock fall, and Tesla will be another footnote of auto history.

I really would not be surprised if Musk owned "farm" land like so many other rich folks do. Free money.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Elon Musk promised, his new mobile phone will surely will retire all DSLRs.
    Yeah sure, the little asf sensor coupled with little lenses will deficiently retire not only all the APS-C sensored mirrorless cameras, not only all the 35mm cameras, but
    all DSLRs.
    you know, one thing that DSLRs and Mirrorless's have got that phones don't have are interchangeable lenses.
    Elon Musk is a moron.
    I agree, tho for different reasons

Click image for larger version

Name:	J6Glyjz.png
Views:	52
Size:	596.8 KB
ID:	63454
    Last edited by rrats; 20th Feb 2022 at 09:59.
    Quote Quote  
  17. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" I'm still waiting for a lot of Elon's claims.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote