VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Thanx Adam, your post is very clarifying as always. Most of what i heard about DVD-John came from a buddy who worship him, shouldnt trust religious fanatics i guess
    Quote Quote  
  2. No further argument is needed. Look at what Baldrick stated. It is not
    about the law in your country or even international law. It is about protecting videohelp.com from a) warez pollution and b) legal problems.

It is HIS site and we must follow HIS rules.

You want to copy a DVD - why tell us the title or how you got it?
    You want to unrar a TV episode- why tell us the title or where you got it from?
    Using certain software? - Don't ask for a serial or say you downloaded
    a $10,000 program from kazaa.

As soon as you make it obvious in your post that you are doing something
    against HIS rules, you will be flagged. Simple idiot proof logic I would have thought.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yet the proliferation of those kinds of posts continues. I'll say it again, posting a few stickys in the major forums would be a good idea. That is unless you mods like dealing with warez related posts. I'm sure people are going to post stupid things regardless but a few additional warnings isn't asking too much. Besides, judging by a recent thread there are several noobs who don't even know what the term "warez" means.
    Quote Quote  
  4. teegee420,

I can see where you are coming from but
    if they are not going to read the rules what makes you
    think they are going to read an additional sticky?

-edit- damn spelling
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We can't put a sticky about this specific matter.
    You can point - if needed - this post to the members you believe "clearificiations" are needed.
    A "Sticky" can make this chating here official, and if you study / learn about laws and politics, you can understand how bad this is for a forum like this. I mean, videohelp is not a small forum: It is a big forum, among the bigest in the scene. We don't want attention from the bigones, and we all know how this is possible nowdays. It is far more diplomatic and practical to talk about those matters the way we do now, than make an official state. Baldrick determined pretty well how he wish to handle those issues. Now, we know and there are no excuses.
    And in praxis, the less stickies in a forum, the best. Few stickers, a serius user gonna read. Many stickers, noone gonna read.

Don't mention that when you hit "post reply" the first thing you read is:

Before you reply, please observe our following forum rules

Do NOT give warez.
    Do NOT link to warez .
    Do NOT ask for warez.
    Do NOT provide information how to obtain warez.
    Do NOT advocate warez.

Warez includes downloaded copyrighted movies, movies that are not yet released on VHS/DVD and copying rented movies.

We don't need something more.

And I repeate: We are adults here. We do know what is bad and good for the forum.
    Troublemakers only stay a bit, newcomers learn fast. We don't need more.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by offline
    You want to copy a DVD - why tell us the title or how you got it?
    You want to unrar a TV episode- why tell us the title or where you got it from?
    Using certain software? - Don't ask for a serial or say you downloaded
    a $10,000 program from kazaa.
    EXACTLY!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    teegee420,

I can see where you are coming from but
    if they are not going to read the rules what makes you
    think they are going to read an additional sticky?

-edit- damn spelling
    An extra warning won't fend off all warez posts, no. It might filter out a few of them though. There's certainly no harm in trying. If you guys think it's a waste of time, so be it. Have fun dealing with all those posts.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Have fun dealing with all those posts.
    Your idea is a good one but it has been tried on other
    forums and it just does not work. The only thing that
    does work is a zero tolerance policy. I would not want
    to see that employed here, so we will have to
    continue to "have fun" as you say.

Any ideas welcome btw

-edit-
    Thanks Supreme2k,
    it is a pity some people do not have the courtesy to check out
    how thiings work here before posting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Downloading movies and tv-shows is basicly okey.

But if you mention that you downloaded an unrelased movie/tv-show, rent and copy, downloaded something from a p2p network, from my huge warez server or similiar it isn't okey.
    Originally Posted by The AUP
    Warez includes downloaded copyrighted movies, movies that are not yet released on VHS/DVD and copying rented movies.
    Are you saying that as long as the movie/tv show has already been released and you don't get it from P2P that it is OK ?? That is a massive contradiction. I think the phrase "downloaded copyrighted movies" does it for me. Regardless of if the movie/tv show has been released, it still contains a copyright 99.9% of the time.

If I cap off pay tv, upload to my webspace, and joe blow downloads it from me via ftp (or any other method apart from P2P). Joe hasn't paid for the rights to watch the particular show. You say that is OK ? Warez or not warez ?

I think you really need to clarify this one way or the other. Even your fellow mods share differing opinions, so I guess it depends on who you get in the "Report This Post" thread as to whether it is warez or not.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The only thing that does work is a zero tolerance policy.
    Go to This Is True and sign up for their free newsletter. No SPAM from this one and its free. Read some of the ridiculous stories regarding zero tolerance and you will find that even zero tolerance has interpretations which jeopardise its effectiveness.

Originally Posted by teegee420
    Have fun dealing with all those posts.
    here here.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Interesting thread. I think there's still lots of gray area.

Someone mentioned that music downloading is legal in Canada. That's not quite true. Canadians have been forced to pay a "media levy" on all blank recording media for the last 2 years at the request of the music industry association to recoup the loss of revenue from consumer P2P downloading and copying. But that request backfired on the industry association, because not only has the government kept all the money for themselves, the government Copyright Board recently stated an opinion (not legally binding) that this media levy *may* make legal to download and copy music. Theory being, consumers have already payed a fee for this right. This opinion has never yet been test in court, and may be found to be incorrect.

The music industry association also lost a recent court case on music uploading when the judge decided that the case presented was sloppy and did not contain enough proof to justify invading ISP privacy. Unfortunately for the industry association, the judge went further and gave an opinion that providing access to copyrighted material on your computer via a P2P network is perfectly legal, because it's just like putting a photocopier in a library. In either case the ability to copy copyrighted works is provided, but the legality of it is entirely up to the one doing the copying, not the one providing access. That opinion has not yet been appealed, and of course could be reversed by the liberal application of large quantities of lawyers and money. Politicians in need of campaign contributions for the current federal election are already rallying around the industry assocation flag, promising to change the law if necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Please listen.

Follow the Rules and the AUP when posting here. If you don't UNDERSTAND something then ask or watch how others behave.

The End.

No International law
    No Country based law
    No Contract based law
    No Religious based law
    No Commercial based law
    No moral codes or ethics

REPEAT

Follow the Rules and the AUP when posting here. If you don't UNDERSTAND something then ask or watch how others behave.

REPEAT

REPEAT

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To be fair, you mods have caused as much confusion as you have clarity on this matter. I'm glad things are a little clearer now regarding TV shows.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by offline
    Please listen.

The End.

Yeah, right. If you don't UNDERSTAND something then ask or watch how others behave.

Do you really think watching how Indolikaa Khan behaves should be endorsed in any way on this website?

Dumbass.

:P :P :P :P :P
    Quote Quote  
  15. Do you really think watching how Indolikaa Khan behaves should be endorsed in any way on this website?

Dumbass.
    I mean watch how others behave and see the consequences

Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by offline
    Do you really think watching how Indolikaa Khan behaves should be endorsed in any way on this website?

Dumbass.
    I mean watch how others behave and see the consequences

YEAH!

Anybody remember xcool? A textbook case in how NOT to behave.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's a bit hard when the rules say "Warez includes downloaded copyrighted movies, movies that are not yet released on VHS/DVD and copying rented movies." The thing that gets my back up is that it is OK to discuss downloaded copyrighted movies and TV from anywhere but P2P.

Ambiguous, interpretative rules do not help anyone. And you expect a NOOB to be able to work this out ?

The only thing that does work is a zero tolerance policy.
    All downloads that are not public domain are warez. Done.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Once again:
    There is not such thing as "Public Domain" in Europe.
    So, technically, ANYTHING is warez, except of course your home movies.

It is once again the old problem:
    - What is legal for you is illegal for me and vice versa.
    - What is ethical for you is unetchical for me and vice versa

- Ethics and laws are not always at the same side of the river

SO: Anything is grey.

And to put it in another way: It is impossible to determine this subject in an international forum.
    Also, I believe that anyone here knows how to act regarding this. And if he don't, he learn soon. Mods and users around, have their ways to show him the "enlighting" way
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SatStorm
    It is once again the old problem:
    - What is legal for you is illegal for me and vice versa.
    - What is ethical for you is unetchical for me and vice versa
    I disagree.

Granted, the ethical/legal debate always ends in tears. We are discussing a clarification from Baldrick about what is OK to talk about on this site, regardless of whether it is legal in the real world or not though.

For example, DVD Backup has been given the all-clear to be talked about on this site, but its legality in the real world could be hotly debated.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have all the right to disagree.

I prefer a huge grey area than a determined stiff area.

I found it more flexible that way.

BTW, that flashing at your avatar is a bit annoying after a while...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SatStorm
    BTW, that flashing at your avatar is a bit annoying after a while...
    You should have seen it when I had it at 6X. Baldrick PMed me and asked me to change it, which I did. He has OKed the current one.

I guess we'll leave that to moderator interpretation then, shall we ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeap, after all, PM is the friend of any user, and we all know how beautiful that yellow shows to us picatsus....
    Quote Quote