VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I’ve been transferring video from a friends Canon Vixia HF100 to AVCHD onto DVD 9. These are my friend’s home movies & he has asked me to put them onto disc. I knew AVCHD was going to be the best format to use & the most compatible with Blu-Ray players while still maintaining a high res video of 720p. His main Blu-Ray player is a Samsung BD-P3600 although he also has the older Sony BDP 300. And the Sony has played everything I’ve thrown at it even out of spec AVCHD with DTS audio.
    My first experiment was with using DVD +R DL not knowing the Samsung wouldn’t play DVD +R & obviously it didn’t work. It is very odd that a player doesn’t play DVD +R especially considering its 2009. One can buy DVD +R DL media everywhere but you will have to look to mail order to find DVD-R DL & even then your choices are limited. I purchased DVD-R DL media but I still don’t know if this will work because in the Samsung BD-P3600 owners’ manual it states DVD-R (4.7 GB) but doesn’t list DL 8.5 GB. See here http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/305/305BD3600.PDF

It would be very odd that this player didn’t play DVD-DL media. Now onto my question I had read in a query to Dean K that some Samsung players won’t play AVCHD with the AUXDATA folder? Currently everything I have done has an AUXDATA folder & I understand some Blu-Ray players need this folder. Unfortunately no specific models where given. And when I go back over with his home movies & it doesn’t work with the DVD-R DL then I really won’t know if it’s the AUXDATA folder or a media issue. Any help on this would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's my understanding you must *NOT* use DVD-ROM booktype, and be sure to delete the AUXDATA directory. If backing up a movie, full disc will not work, do main movie only. Not certain if you can use DVD+R or not. Or DVD+R DL for that matter. Give it a try.

Odd that Samsung seems to be withdrawing support for AVCHD, earlier set-tops were more forgiving than current players. But overall it's hit-and-miss with Samsungs.

Among other brands, LG, Panasonic, and Sony do specify AVCHD support. AFAIK, Panasonics are reputed to be more picky than the Sonys. Dunno about LG. My Sony plays everything I've made, in spec or not.

Have a look at this thread from Doom9:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144674

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. fritzi93 Did you even read my post? I clearly stated that the Samsung BD-P3600 only accepts DVD-R media. Additionally you state “Odd that Samsung seems to be withdrawing support for AVCHD”

I never stated or even eluded to this so why would you even come to this conclusion. In the manual http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/305/305BD3600.PDF it plainly states that the it fully supports AVCHD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yeah I read it. But some players are a whole lot stricter than others. For example, Panasonic vs. Sony. Each make has it's own ideas about AVCHD "standards".

Earlier Samsungs were on the whole, more forgiving.

So relax. Did you read the Doom9 thread? Then maybe you'd see what I was getting at. In the Doom9 thread, it only states you must not use DVD-ROM *booktype*, which is not the same thing as stating DVD+R will not work. Now, it may well be so, but the inclusion of the booktyping caution leads one to believe it may. In case you didn't know, you can "fool" a player into recognizing DVD+R as DVD-ROM. This is done by making the selection through the burner to identify the disc as DVD-ROM rather than DVD+R, as with, for example, ImgBurn.

THE CAUTION ABOUT DVD-ROM ON YOUR PLAYER MAKES NO SENSE OTHERWISE.

This is on the whole a friendly discussion forum. You'll get more responses if you don't take (or give) offense so easily. Have a nice day.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I can report back and state that the Samsung BD-P3600 will not play AVCHD’s. I’ve tried every scenario; removed auxdata folder, tried different brands of media including Verbatum on DVD-R 5 & 9, burned with & without CERTIFICATE folder, made sure it was 100% AVCHD compliant and had the latest firmware 1.03.

Every one of these discs has played on the Sony BDP 300 & Sony PS3 without fail.

So at this point I’d say the Samsung BD-P3600 isn’t AVCHD compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Have you tried the following:

1) Different player firmware.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download/supportDown.do?group=audiovideo&type=blu_ra...&menu=download

2) Import the m2ts file into tsMuxer. Set output to AVCHD and remux.

3) Import the BDMV folder into multiAVCHD, set output to "No Menu".
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. 1. Only the latest firmware is available I see no way to roll back to a previous. You sent me a link to firmware 1.03. Yes I already stated I had firmware 1.03.

2. I’m re-encoding the files to fit on DVD 5/9 & have used Multiavchd, AVCHDCoder & Ripbot. No menus on any of them.

3. Unless someone has this same player & can tell me their steps verbatim with making a AVCHD then for now I’ll have to say the player is not AVCHD compatible. Possibly the latest firmware has messed things up for AVCHD.

Have gotten many reports back on the Samsung BD-P1500 but no one seems to have the BD-P3600.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by a1677c
    Have gotten many reports back on the Samsung BD-P1500 but no one seems to have the BD-P3600.
    Given how consumer unfriendly Samsung has been with their DVD players (out of all the models they make in the world, based on reports here it seems that only 2 models can be unlocked from their factory region settings), a lot of people may be staying away from their BluRay players. They make great HDTVs, but I wouldn't have one of their DVD or BluRay players unless you wanted to give it to me for free.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sorry I tried to help. Yeah, it's hopeless, time to give up. Obviously, someone at Doom9 was lying.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Regarding the Samsung BD-P3600 I finally got it to work with AVCHD’s. (This came about by accident after playing a Blu-Ray disc.)When one puts a Blu-Ray disc in first then one plays an AVCHD all AVCHD’s discs will play on DVD-R 5/9 until the unit is turned off. Once the unit is turned off a Blu-Ray disc must be played for a second or two before playing an AVCHD again.

Interestingly on the Samsung BD-P3600 when the info button is pressed while playing an AVCHD it shows it as a DVD & does not show video size, bitrate or audio info.

Tried playing a DVD+R AVCHD disc again once the abovementioned scenario had been done. This time it didn’t cause the player to lock up but immediately ejected the disc. So I’d have to say like the manual states it will only play DVD-R media.
    Quote Quote  
  11. ..
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone experienced the following: I created blu-ray disc containing AVCHD files. After writing the disc the computer sees it and the VLC plays it. When I try to play the disc on my Samsung BD-P3600 nothing happen, it can't even load the disc. After when I try to play the disc back on my PC, the disc was corrucpted. Nothing it shows as unknowen drive with 0 used and free space. I tried this with two discs created from a different programs, the same. Is this a problem with my blu-ray drive or the Samsung corrupt the disc?
    Quote Quote