VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-HR-s2901U-SVHS-ET-HDMI-out-720-1080-video-/170625340304

Supposedly this machine has a custom up-converting HDMI board in it. Why would you waste your time doing that to a mid-grade VCR like this? Why not something nicer like a 7000-series at least???

I mean, if you didn't know what you were doing, and you didn't want to RUIN a nicer VCR, I guess I could see testing it out on this type of model first...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jbd5010 View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-HR-s2901U-SVHS-ET-HDMI-out-720-1080-video-/170625340304

Supposedly this machine has a custom up-converting HDMI board in it. Why would you waste your time doing that to a mid-grade VCR like this? Why not something nicer like a 7000-series at least???

I mean, if you didn't know what you were doing, and you didn't want to RUIN a nicer VCR, I guess I could see testing it out on this type of model first...
    Did you miss this?

This VCR was modified by local tv technician and works good. On the back of the VCR you have option of 720p and 1080p upconversion and it works great and you dont have to run all the cables to tv just one HDMI and red and white to stereo receiver
    This isn't a factory upscale VCR. It is a science fair project. Yes, one would test first with a cheaper machine. Not clear a 7000 would do much better. Depends where the A/D is done.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right, that's why I said:

Why would you waste your time doing that to a mid-grade VCR like this?
    This would've taken considerable time and effort since it was a homemade type thing, and it doesn't really seem worth it. Other than a "for fun" thing, maybe.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right, that's why I said:

Why would you waste your time doing that to a mid-grade VCR like this?
    This would've taken considerable time and effort since it was a homemade type thing, and it doesn't really seem worth it. Other than a "for fun" thing, maybe.
    Sure for the fun. I'd like to know more about what he did. If A/D was just to lines without TBC, then 1080i (my guess is 1050i) would still have considerable timebase error. 720p would be blurry.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a project I'd like to tackle: building the Panasonic DMR-ES10 filtering circuit. That way everyone doesn't have to buy a whole friggin DVD recorder just to pass a signal through for filtering!

Too bad it used a Panasonic proprietary DIGA chip, though. The chip alone is $45 from Encompass parts. Probably not worth it...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Very interesting this VTR i'd be interested on how he's managed to achieve such brilliant work.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. He bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Orei-XD-901-Multi-System-Composite-Converter/dp/B004UNYX9M

and glued it into the VCR case. It's not rocket science.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well THAT'S anti-climactic.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why would you waste your time doing that to a mid-grade VCR like this? Why not something nicer like a 7000-series at least???
    Questions and answers about this item
    No questions or answers have been posted about this item.
    Ask a question

"I can wire anything directly into anything!" - Professor Farnsworth
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mufunyo View Post
    Why would you waste your time doing that to a mid-grade VCR like this? Why not something nicer like a 7000-series at least???
    Questions and answers about this item
    No questions or answers have been posted about this item.
    Ask a question

I can't seem to find the "Ask a Rhetorical Question" link.... Haha.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The guy is local, perhaps I should "check it out".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check the specs from Amazon ...claims a built in TBC. (jagabo's link)

Technical Details
    • Change RCA Composite or S-Video to HDMI Converter - Automatically convert signals from PAL or NTSC analog to NTSC Digital
    • Support Up-Scaling Output Resolution Upto 1080p
    • Specially designed to work with any Analog source like Satellite Receivers, cables boxes, Wii, PAL VCR, Camcorder, PAL Receiver and convert it to display on NTSC HD TV
    • Built-in Time Base Correction (T.B.C) for signal synchronization
    • World Wide Power supply. 100-240 50/60 Hz auto switching power supply for use anywhere in the world.
    Quote Quote