VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What's the best way, in terms of quality, to reencode a 350 Mb .avi file to a new .avi?

Please, specify codec/settings in order to loose the minimum quality possible,
    allowing an output up to 1Gb file.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any reencode will reduce quality. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Any reencode will reduce quality. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
    It is a choppy video file, about 3000 duplicate frames out of 80000 have to be deleted (in VirtualDub) in order for the video to run smoothly.

Do I really need to reencode? If not, how can I proceed?

If reencoding is necessary, see the original question.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the source was either telecined or animated, repeat frames are just a part of the process. Once you start pulling out frames, you will lose sync with the audio. Also, if your avi is divx or xvid, you will not be able to cut specific individual frames unless you first reencode to either uncompressed or DV avi.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80
    If the source was either telecined or animated, repeat frames are just a part of the process. Once you start pulling out frames, you will lose sync with the audio. Also, if your avi is divx or xvid, you will not be able to cut specific individual frames unless you first reencode to either uncompressed or DV avi.
    I´m not worried about the audio cause I´ll use audio from another source and sync with this video.

The video has a duplicate frame every 24 or 25 frames, so it causes a choppy playback, and I solved the problem by using a script like TDecimate(mode=2, rate=23.976, maxndl=25)

So now the new video has to be saved to a new .avi

Does it need to be reencoded or not? If so, please see my original question!

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it does need to be re-encoded. Try using a Constant Quality encode with a value of between 2 and 3.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote