VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so. i tried using super to convert bluray to mkv
    using those options :

output wasn't satisfying as for quality.
    any other suggestions as for the options i should have choose or any otherfree prog to do this right ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid4PSP is a far better tool IMO, however you can't use bitrates that low and not expect to substantially reduce the quality.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so i should see whats the source vid bitrate and use the same when i convert with super ?

i never even heard about the other program
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you use the same bitrate as the source, the files will be the same size. You don't gain anything. However if you choose a very low bitrate, you will lose quality very visibly. You will have to find what is right for the size/quality balance that suits you. Do some testing with a short clip and see what you get.

Frankly, while SUPER is handy for being able to handle lots of different formats, I have never found quality to be it's strong suit.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, your belief that you can convert to anything without losing quality is wrong. At best if you know what you are doing you might be able to get something that looks as good as the original, but it will still be somewhat inferior to it.

Second, Super is a Swiss Army Knife do everything kind of tool. Nobody who is serious about doing what you propose uses it for this. I use Super from time to time to convert crap quality You Tube videos to VCD format. That should give you an idea of what Super is really useful for.

To seriously get into reducing BluRay to MKV files, you have no choice but to encode with X.264 or H.264, so what you need to do is do some research on how to do that. The forums at http://www.doom9.net might be useful to you. Encoding with these is time consuming, but your PC is powerful enough that it shouldn't be too bad. If you are only going to play these on PCs, then you can use whatever audio format you like, but if you intend some day to play these on some kind of media player, do note that streaming media players that support MKV right now support it in a half-ass kind of way and only AC3 audio is working reliably. Note too that many people resize BluRays from 1080p down to 720p so that they can use lower bitrates in the encode and still have excellent quality. You'll need to learn how to use AviSynth for this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jman98 so im just making sure i understand. you say to first resize it to 720p with avisynth and then convert to mkv. yea ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. You don't HAVE to do this, but doing so will enable to use a lower bit rate than 1080p encoding would require, resulting in (hopefully) similar quality with a smaller file. However, if file size is irrelevant to you (maybe you are storing these on a hard drive and not on dual layer DVDs), then you probably want to keep 1080p and just simply encode with no need to resize.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just use XVID4PSP

As for file size I suggest shooting for 4.37GB if doing 720p and 7.95GB if doing 1080p.

Why those file sizes? So you can archive the file onto a single DVD or dual layer DVD. You could copy it to such discs using it as a "data disc".

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  9. Lossless conversion: Demux the audio and video streams from the Blu-ray video with a tool like TsMuxerGUI. Mux them together into MKV with a tool like MKVToolnix. Of course, the result will be about the same size as the Blu-ray source.
    Quote Quote