VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. To bring this back, the claim about JVC players and slightly muffled audio quality is true for me, and the proposed fix by bbmaster123 works.

I luckily found a friend of a friend was a VCR repairman in the 90's and he agreed to service the JVC 7600 for me. I also told him about this theory the audio head was misaligned. He said back in the day you used a test tape with a sine wave, then easily adjust the audio head watching the sine wave on the scope. But of course he has long since thrown all that stuff out.

But he said he could do it by ear with a music video tape - and he did.

The JVC is now normal i.e sounds the same or better than the Panasonic cheapie, where before it was a muffled in comparison. I asked how much adjustment was required and he said it was a 'bee's dik worth'. I also asked if doing the audio head adjustment will effect picture calibration and he claims it does not.

Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Most of the popular, available, more recent JVC decks with TBC/DNR have utterly atrocious, muffled, noisy linear audio performance. Why exactly JVC chose to install beyond-crap linear audio circuits in otherwise high-performance machines is one of those infuriating corporate mysteries that make tape capture torturous today
    Well at least we know it wasn't the build quality of the JVC itself, but a factory calibration issue.
    It would be infuriating to find this out now though if you had spent time and pain doing separate captures of video on one machine and audio on another...
    Quote Quote  
  2. The reason why this issue was not picked up is no doubt because all VCR video and sound output is 'bad'. How bad should it be? Who knows and its difficult to recognize. I only noticed the audio was bad on this super duper JVC when doing a video capture comparison to a cheap Panasonic VCR. I noticed how wobbly and poor the picture was on the Panny, but the audio was noticeably better. Until then the JVC audio had seemed fine to me.
    Quote Quote