VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

I am new to creating VCD's, and would like to record some old TV shows that I like onto them.

I'm using Ulead VideoStudio 5.0 to capture the video from my DV camera and create the MPG file, but the quality is really bad when I play the VCD on my TV. Very blocky looking.

Could I get some recommendations from people on a good DV capture or convertor that can give you VHS tape quality VCD's? Rendering time is not an issue.

Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Quote  
  2. What do used you play the VCD ?
    If you are using computer or a SVCD capable DVD player, then you might want to consider compress to mpeg2. Ulead is normally pretty good, your video source may have too much noise that can upset a lot of mpeg1 conversion program.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I'm using an Apex 500W standalone DVD player. Plays just about everything, and was really nicely priced!

For creating VCD's, I think it's pretty picky as to the exact format of the MPG though. I was curious as to whether or not other packages besides VideoStudio5 were better at rendering the images to be less blocky at full TV size.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Nothing can beat a free-bie, especially it it free.
    Go get TMPGenc beta 12.

Quality can be directly tie to your video source. If you want great quality, you have to rip DVD and capture Hi-8 to
    SVCD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. i agree with sing sing. tmpeg is a great program that rivals some of the very expensive ones in quality. a little slow, but bearable. very adjustable. try it. you'll like it.
    good luck

chas
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the information. I'll try TMPEnc.
    Quote Quote