VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Forgive me if this is an ignorant question.
    I looked in the DVD Recorder section and didn't see it indicated there.
    I saw at least one posting that indicated that their DVD recorder recorded in ac-3.
    Do all of them use that audio format?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe they all record in two-channel AC-3 audio, although most should have at least one setting to record in uncompressed PCM audio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe they *all* record in 2.0DD too. On the JVC for example you can set it to either record in PCM or 384kb/s DD when you use the XP (60min/disc) mode. For every other recording mode it's 256kb/s DD.
    Sorry, I had to go see about a girl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most of them are AC3, many are MP2 also. Some can do PCM.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the quick responses.

It's interesting that the JVC recorder has such a high bitrate for stereo ac-3 audio (256 kbps); the standard for DVD video is of course 192 kbps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by David K
    Thanks for the quick responses.

It's interesting that the JVC recorder has such a high bitrate for stereo ac-3 audio (256 kbps); the standard for DVD video is of course 192 kbps.
    Almost all the stand alone DVD recorders that do 2.0 AC-3 do it at 256kbps. Some (Toshiba models for instance) even have an option for 384kbps though that is just silly overkill.

Most only do PCM when in the 60 minute mode I think.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have the Panasonic E80 and in XP one hour mode it can record in PCM and it will do DD2.0
    Quote Quote  
  8. yeah, i have the older panasonic dmr-hs2 deck and that will let you do pcm or ac3 in Xp mode. Although i think i can switch to pcm for other recording speeds as well (not that i have a reason to waste disc space like that, 256br ac3 sounds just fine)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Several of the cheaper models only do mp2 audio. The iLo unit comes to mind if I am not mistaken.
    Quote Quote