VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Using Subtitle Edit to convert srt to ssa - how to make white subs in opaque black box?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try Tools -> Batch convert, choose output format "Advanced Sub Station Alpha" and click on style, choose opaque box:

Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your input. I open mu video.mkv file in Subtitle Edit, and when I have the subtitles onscree (image 1) I go to options, settings and ass/ssa style. There I choose the opaque box. Image two shows the result when using this ssa file in VLC. You will see that I don't have an opaque box.Image
    [Attachment 55922 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 55923 - Click to enlarge]

Somehow I never get a continuous black box.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can also open the .ass file in SE, right-click in the list view, and check the "Advanced Sub Station Alpha styles..." - is opaque box still enabled here?
    Perhaps you're playing a subtitle file from the inside the .mkv file? Unwanted subtitles are easily removed with mkvtoolnix.
    (I just tested a .ass file with opaque box in both vlc and mpv - it worked fine)
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm not sure how to thank you enough! What I've found is that opening the srt file in SE and then going to tools as you suggested gives me as an output an ass file, while seemingly doing the same thing using the options/settings method give an ssa file. It would seem that the ass is more advanced file type for subtitles.

I find it a failing in SE, since the options method allows for the opaque box, but when it comes to saving the file you are only offered the ssa type, and not the ass type, while the batch method outputs an ass file.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  6. .Another method. I use the option/setting to choose the opaque box; then, instead of saving the file as an ssa, I can export in the export to binary mode to an ass file. This results in a perfect ass file.
    Quote Quote