VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everybody!

I am a newbe here. I have a question. May be somebody can help me. I want to install a Danish dictionary in Subtitle Edit 3.4.5. So, I downloaded the Dictionary from Open Office 3 x Dictionaries and put the two dic-files and the aff file in the Dictionary map of Subtitle Edit-folder. I downloaded the two traineddata files from Tesseract and put them in the map tessdata. But the dictionary don't show up when I want to convert a Danish idx/sub to srt. Wat's wrong?

In the past I installed a German and Dutch dictionary and they work fine. But that was a few years ago. Now I am not so sure in which folder I have to put the traineddata files. In the rootmap of Subtitle Edit there is a Tesseract folder with a tessdata map. But in the Subtitle Edit folder there is a Tesseract map too, with a tessdata map. I put the both traineddata files in both tessdata maps. But it doesn't work. All the other combinations doesn't work ether. Anybody an idee what can help? Lots of thanks.

Frans Alten
    Quote Quote  
  2. In Version 3.5.1: Spell Check -> Get Dictionary

Similar if you want a dictionary or Tesseract data you can do this during OCR using the three dots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SEOCR.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	40435
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your answer. But I know that of course. But only the three dictionaries I have show up. Not the new one. So I must have done something wrong with the installation. Do you know what?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If memory serves me it could depend on whether you use an installer version or a portable one.

With the installer version even though there may be a subfolder Dictionaries to the installed directory the one actually used could be %appdata%\Subitle Edit\Dictionaries.

I only use the portable version and I think this may have been handled in later versions of SE.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, may be, probably. But in which folder do I have to put the traineddata files? There are two Tesseract folders you know.
    And by the way, the standard english and later installed German en Dutch dictionaries works fine. And they are in de folder Dictionaries too. So....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tesseract data files should be in "Tesseract\tessdata" folder. The Danish file is called "dan.traineddata" and SE uses Tesseract 3.02.
    If you have any problems, try the built in download buttons as they work - at least in latest version .

SE 3.4.5 is very old, so do try latest stable version 3.5.1:
    https://www.videohelp.com/download/SubtitleEdit-3.5.1-Setup.zip
    https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit/releases
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Nikse

Thanks a lot for your answer. I'm glad with every reaction/help.

But there are two Tesseract/tessdata folders: one in the SE boot and one in de the SE folder. So, which one do I have to use?
    May be my SE is old but works fine. And in the past I installed twee dictionaries: Dutch and German, and they work fine too. But that was a few years ago and it seems not the same anymore. I am afraid that if I install a later version of SE I will have problems with the two other dictionaries.
    By the way, the buttons doesn't work in my SE. If it was so simple, I didn't start this tread. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the dialog where you can (or could) download Tesseract dictionaries, there's also an "Open 'dictionaries' folder" link - that will open the Tesseract data folder used by SE.

Earlier versions of SE (3.4.x) used Tesseract dictionaries from https://code.google.com, but they have been removed. This has been fixed in recent versions of SE (which download Tesseract dictionaries from Github now). That's why the download buttons don't work anymore in older versions of SE.

You can easily test latest SE without affecting anything else via the portable version ( https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit/releases/download/3.5.1/SE351.zip ) - unpack to something like "C:\Tools\SE" and test downloading Tesseract dictionaries etc.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, that seems a good possibility. It's a bit of work, but I shall try. I keep you informed. But first I have to do the cooking...
    Quote Quote