VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've recently ripped some DVDs and encoded them with h.264 (aac audio) to store on my Plex media server and stream over the network. Now, my problem is that, only from within the Plex app, my videos don't play properly. I get audio, but no video. I get video only if I make it transcode the video by dropping the quality or by enabling subtitles.

Strange thing is, on the PS3, with the media server function that comes on it already, I can play my files just fine. I don't get some of the functionality of the Plex app (subtitle support, queuing episodes etc) but I get video and audio playing perfectly every time.

What's going on with Plex?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you play other h264 videos without transcoding?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No. Everything I have I encoded myself, in the same way. However... I found an option in the PS3 system settings which enables sequential playback, so now I'm not concerned at all with the Plex app.

In fact, this enables me to go back to my original plan, which was to burn big bluray discs jam-packed with content... but I've gained a bit more experience since I first conceived that plan, so I think I'll stick with streaming over the network. HDDs are far more durable than optical disc drive when it comes to heavy use. After all, I already went through the trouble of hard-wiring the PS3 to LAN...
    Quote Quote