VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am searching and downloading public domain films to make a collection. I save them in an external HD and play them with my old Philips BDP3200X Blu-ray player and an old Panasonic Viera TV set.

Most of them are black and white, like White Zombie, Dementia 13, and others. The problem is that my sight is not so good and I want to make larger subs, colored (yellow) and with a thick black outline or shadow.

I have been using SubtitleWorkshop for a while now, but even if I change its settings for what I need, when I copy the modified subs to the external HD and play the movies, the subs appear with the same size and color as before.

Any idea to help me? TIA.
    Last edited by Paultx; 23rd May 2019 at 10:22.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What formats did you test? ASS or SRT with HTML style formatting? Many players treat such subtitles as simple text without formatting. Try to export as .idx/.sub which are picture based. Either that or burn-in (takes lots of time/work) or invest in a different player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What format of subs does your blu-ray player accept? There are two kinds for which you can choose styles (including font, size, and color) SSA and ASS, with SSA being perhaps the better known of the two. If all you can use is SRT, then forget about modifying the styles for your blu-ray player.

The alternative is to reencode your movies and 'burn in' or 'hardcode' your subs. Plenty of encoding programs accept SSA and ASS subs for hardcoding. But, of course, the video quality of the films will degrade at least a little bit.

Edit: sneaker beat me. Yes I forgot about VobSubs (IDX/SUB) but doubt a hardware player can use them. But you never know. The manual should say what subs are accepted for display.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Paultx View Post
    I want to make larger subs, colored (yellow) and with thick a black outline or shadow.
    See if you're player has subtitle settings that let you specify those parameters. Some do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some media players do recognise colour tags within a SRT file not sure about the Philips BDP3200X Blu-ray player recognising colour tags in a SRT. ASS or SSA format would be worth a try.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    What formats did you test? ASS or SRT with HTML style formatting? Many players treat such subtitles as simple text without formatting. Try to export as .idx/.sub which are picture based. Either that or burn-in (takes lots of time/work) or invest in a different player.
    The player works well with SRT and TXT most of times. I tried ASS once and it didn't recognize it.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    What format of subs does your blu-ray player accept? There are two kinds for which you can choose styles (including font, size, and color) SSA and ASS, with SSA being perhaps the better known of the two.
    I couldn't find anything about subs formats in the player's manual. Tried ASS once TNA, gonna try SSA.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    See if you're player has subtitle settings that let you specify those parameters. Some do.
    Mine doesn't.

Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Try to export as .idx/.sub which are picture based. Either that or burn-in (takes lots of time/work) or invest in a different player.
    These are the subs formats SubtitleWorkshop shows in the Save as dialog. Which of them can I use to save in the suggested .idx/.sub format?

[Attachment 49123 - Click to enlarge]

Should I give this Philips SVCD Designer 1.5-2.0 a try?
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you want to test your player's response to various extended SRT tags there's a pair of files in this post:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/332300-How-to-position-a-subtitle-in-a-srt-file?hi...st#post2543525

Support varies with different players.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FYI, I tried SSA and it worked OK with my custom settings when played on the PC, but not in the BD player. The latter displays the subs OK, but without the custom settings.

Media Player Classic Home Cinema

[Attachment 49124 - Click to enlarge]

House on Haunted Hill (1959) ►public domain
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm not really familiar with SubtitleWorkshop. Try SubtitleEdit: File->Export->VobSub (sub/idx).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Paultx View Post
    FYI, I tried SSA and it worked OK with my custom settings when played on the PC, but not in the BD player. The latter displays the subs OK, but without the custom settings.
    No surprises there. It was worth a try -- but a very long shot.
    Quote Quote