VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello All,

I'm new to this video malarkey and have been lent two Mini DVs (Panasonic) to play with.

The first is an NV-DS60B. which I've actually persuaded to work. The second is an NV-GS40B, which I want to use because
    it has an SD card and my laptop has an SD card slot.

OK, the 40B has three batteries, two CGA-DU14 ones and a CGA-DU07. All three are working, inasmuch as when each is put in the AC charger, the green charge light eventually goes off, so far, so good.

Here come the problems

1:

When I turn the camera to 'on' I'm rewarded with...nothing, zero, zip, zilch, seven times the square root of foxtrot alpha. So far, I've tried...

*Tape/card - card mode.

* Auto/manual focus.

* Off/on and 'mode' (after finding the switch lock button) - the Camera, VCR and Card/FBmode lights a re conspicuous by not illuminating.

* Otherwise, nothing. The camera is silent. Trying to record or pressing 'quick start' does nothing. There is no LCD or viewfinder
    activity, in fact, no activity at all.

* I found the reset button and have tried it, with power on and off, battery in and out. There's no response.

2:

This may be the reason for this DOA behaviour.

I can use the open/eject slider and open the cassette compartment cover. However this is as far as things go. The cassette compartment won't open.
    I can fiddle with the Push/close tab on the cover and the cover will push in 2mm against a spring - let it loose and the 2mm gap opens again.
    The cover is clearly being held by some sort of metal tab - I can hear this. If I hold the cover closed and shake the camera, there is a light, plasticky rattle from within - I think there's a tape in there but it isn't travelling.

So there we are for now. I don't yet have the DC power cord so I can't try it for alternative powering up.

The other aspect I know about is that the camera has not been used for some time - nor had its tape-only compadre.

There's also a Canon FS200, which is also stone dead - no charger yet All three cams look to be in mint condition.

Good things come to he who waits but any thoughts/experiences would be of value.

Thanks, David.
    Last edited by davhill; 3rd Jun 2017 at 21:12.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Start taking it apart and see if a cassette is stuck inside. The first screws to remove usually have little arrows next to them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks JV Raines,

I don't see any screws with arrows and I'm not confident about starting to strip the camera - yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan 2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	601.4 KB
ID:	41805

When I open the cassette compartment cover, I see this hardware. In the gap at the top, the white nylon gear can be turned
    with a probe. The larger one to its left seems fixed and I see no obvious latch to open the compartment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan 1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	546.8 KB
ID:	41806

This pic shows the cover that's not openng. The metal lid is pushed towards me by a spring and when push the lid in and out, the gap closes.
    However, when I let the lid go back to its rest position (as here) it's clearly latched by a metal stop, whose action can be felt. If I gently insert
    a ****tail stick, there seems to be a tape in there.

I've tested all three battery packs with my meter andI'm getting 8.2 DCV from each (no load).

If I push the eject switch on the other Panasonic camera, the cover opens (small motor sound) and the tape is ejected. I expect this one should
    do the same.

The camera remains dead and resetting does nothing.

I can get hold of the power lead to go from the charger to the camera so I thinks that's the next thing to try.

The Canon cam is also dea but I've yet to collect the charger.

Fun & games for a raw rookie
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    If the problem were just a jammed cassette, the camera would at least light up and chirp and you might hear a motor straining before it gives up. There is a problem in the power path and/or the microprocessor is dead.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    If the problem were just a jammed cassette, the camera would at least light up and chirp and you might hear a motor straining before it gives up. There is a problem in the power path and/or the microprocessor is dead.
    Thank you, JV (?).

This makes sense I know that the camera has been looked after - this is obvious. However, I also know that it hasn't been used in a very long time - this
    is according to the widow of its owner.

I think it now makes sense to try out the lead from the charger that runs directly to the camera. I expect that this will effectively modify the
    power path and may therefore reveal something. I'll see about picking it up.

Thanks again, David
    Quote Quote