VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I hope this saves some people some time with the FF/RW not working issue. It took me hours to fix it, and I found a way:

I bought an el-cheapo GPX D200B DVD player, but I noticed the FF/RW buttons did not work. This bugs, since I'm playing Bob Ross / William Alexander "How-To_Paint" DVDs in an attempt to learn painting in my old age, and I need to RW to inspect everything they're doing.

The trick is to rip the DVD and reburn it. Handbrake did not work for me, resulting in real choppy playback. Reading this forum (a lot), I found that someone suggested DVDFab to rip it, then burn it with HandBrake. This was illogical, since DVDFab can also burn DVDs.

Using (if I remember correctly, it was late last night) complete defaults, I used DVDFab 12 to rip a DVD to MP4, then burned it onto Verbatim DVD+R 16X blank DVDs. My el-cheapo DVD player then worked Bitchin with the FF/RW buttons.

This confirms that it isn't necessarily the DVD Player having a problem; it's the DVD itself, whether the burn quality or the DVD quality.

Any comments, replies are gladly welcomed. This is my first post to the VideoHelp (or any) Forum, which I found to be extremely helpful. Nice Forum!
    Last edited by TODJ55; 4th Apr 2021 at 11:51.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    During the "authoring" process, I know it is possible to disable specific remote control keys per logical unit, but I don't remember anymore which selection there was. I believe such restrictions are stored in the IFO files. So I guess one could even remove them with special tools (possibly IfoEdit). But re-authoring is of course another solution.
    Quote Quote  
  3. LigH.de:

Maybe that's why, when playing the original DVD, the DVD player came up with "Invalid Key" when I first attempted to use the FF/RW keys? Man, there's a lot to know about authoring a silly DVD...
    Quote Quote  
  4. As mentioned some "User Operations " may be prohibited on the original DVD. They might be changed in PgcEdit.

[Attachment 58274 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. I had no idea there were so many options available on a DVD. Thanks videobruger for showing the inside info, and how to modify it. Maybe this thread is more useful than I originally thought...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    When I worked in DVD Authoring, decades ago, I had to prohibit UOs in menus and "FBI Warning" trailers to avoid users skipping them before watching the main movie (a punishment for paying...); blocking them in the movie is strange, though. Thanks videobruger for the correction.
    Quote Quote