VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I have done an animation in Blender. I edited it in Adobe Premier. Now I want to convert the dvd format to flash. Problem. I have several dvd authoring and conversion softwares. Not one of them recognizes the file format yet it plays on any of my video players. I have attempted to change the file format by changing the format abbreviation in the file name but the issue is in the file itself. Any suggestions? Thanks. (btw this is not a vob or TS video format. Just .dvd.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    .dvd?
    Which software gave you .dvd?
    If there is no VIDEO_TS folder in there somewhere then it's not a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah. Not sure which software gave me .dvd
    I had thought Adobe Premier but it seems it only does dv. Might have been Blender but usually that converts animations to mpeg. In any case it won't read it either.
    It can't be read by Freemake, Adobe premier, Windows DVD Maker, Windows Live Moviemaker or DVDVideosoft Free Studio yet the file plays in windows media player, realplayer, vlc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let's see what type of audio and video are stored in this mystery container. Download and run MediaInfoXP. Drag the .dvd file to MediaInfoXP. Cut and paste the report from the window and post it here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, nice. Ok So here is the report.
    General
    Complete name : H:\Animations by me\Dissolve Logo 1 snd.dvd
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 1.92 MiB
    Duration : 9s 583ms
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 1 682 Kbps

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : No
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Format settings, GOP : N=18
    Duration : 9s 583ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 1 457 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 9 000 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 24.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.176
    Time code of first frame : 00:00:00:00
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    GOP, Open/Closed : Open
    Stream size : 1.66 MiB (87%)

Audio
    ID : 192 (0xC0)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Mode : Joint stereo
    Mode extension : MS Stereo
    Duration : 9s 509ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 223 KiB (11%)

Menu

NOTE: I was able to use Easy Media Player to convert the file to a .ps file and then FreeStudio to convert to a flv. The audio is missing but it's a step.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, it's not a DVD, that's for sure, not at 24fps. And not with MP3 audio and 44.1 KHz. I don't know for sure that this will work, but it should.

1. Rename the extension as .mpg.
    2. Open the MPG in DGIndex followed by File->Save Project and Demux Video. That will give you audio, video, and a D2V file you can delete. If it doesn't give you your MP3 audio (What were you thinking?), extract it using some other method (AoA Audio Extractor maybe) and convert it to DVD compliant audio.
    3. Run the video (MPV or M2V) through DGPulldown set for 24->29.97
    4. Open the audio and video in Muxman and author a DVD.
    5. Do whatever you like with the result.

Your 2 conversions are already two steps backwards. You want to reencode as few times as possible and this authoring process doesn't reencode the video at all. The audio has to be reencoded, but maybe only the once.

Others may have other ideas.
    Last edited by manono; 25th Oct 2015 at 18:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well the OP does not want a dvd does he ?. If he did, he could just throw that video in to avstodvd and see if that program can do the biz.

The Q. really is why the OP wants to convert this to flash. Could it be that he intends to upload it to youtube ?. If so a better option might be to just upload it and let yt do the conversion - even if you have flash, yt will still convert it. But then yt may not like the quirky format either.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    manono, thank you for the info. I'm still new to all this animation and video side of things. Every little bit helps and to be sure I will be browsing the forums and hopefully get a better understanding of all this.

DB83 you are correct, however it is not Youtube but Deviantart. Deviantart requires all video and animations to be in flash. I could only get Shockwave Flash to upload at that. It's a bit.....frustrating to say the least.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well the OP does not want a dvd does he ?
    Not in the end, no. But he was trying to make a DVD on the way to making his final format:
    Originally Posted by kaber13 View Post
    Now I want to convert the dvd format to flash.
    Of course, better would be to go directly to FLV or whatever, without making a DVD as an intermediate step. Maybe he can save his video as lossless AVI and create some other kind of audio besides MP3. And then make his flash video.
    Last edited by manono; 25th Oct 2015 at 22:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ I think that program was attempting to make dvd-compliant video rather than a dvd.

My suggestion.

1. As already suggested, change the file extension to .mpg. That can work wonders for converters who are just checking the extension. If that does not work...
    2. Create the dvd using avstodvd. Select output folders. No re-encoding of video but audio will change.
    3. Create an mpg from that using vob2mpg.
    4. Feed the mpg to the converters.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ^^ I think that program was attempting to make dvd-compliant video rather than a dvd.

My suggestion.

1. As already suggested, change the file extension to .mpg. That can work wonders for converters who are just checking the extension. If that does not work...
    2. Create the dvd using avstodvd. Select output folders. No re-encoding of video but audio will change.
    3. Create an mpg from that using vob2mpg.
    4. Feed the mpg to the converters.
    It isn't even necessary to use VOB2MPG. AVStoDVD can be configured to output a DVD-compliant .mpg instead of the usual DVD file and folder structure. (Click on the arrow beside "Output", then select "Muxed MPEG2 File" instead of "DVD Folder Structure".)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Darn it. Forgot about that.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you read this ?
    http://help.deviantart.com/832/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Something more for the OP to think about.

Does 'Pure Flash' then mean 'Shockwave' whereas a .flv is just a container format.

Of course, that is if the OP really knows, it comes down to the target gallery. If this animation is 'film' then there is clearly no need to convert.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the format is mpeg-ps

not quriky, it just has a stupid extenstion

just copy the file to another folder, rename it changing the extension to .mpeg or .ts or .mts

and then convert to flv or upload or whatever
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ I think we can all read what the mediainfo report says.

Does not answer why that program created a file with a strange, quirky extension. And if the idea was that the video was to be dvd-compliant it is not.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    True..
    But he only needs to change the extension and then see what programs will accept the file
    Too find out whether they are DVD compliment
    Quote Quote