+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Want to capture encode, edit, author, and burn on Linux,
    Have ADVC100, Shuttle X G51, (intel 1.8) Plextor 708A 512Mb Ram
    Which distribution works best ?
    Thanks,

Yodel
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm running something called knoppix, see www.knoppix.net. Its a live-cd that can also be installed to the hdd. It has a great gui so you won't have an issue there if you are used to windows. It seems to be pretty fast so may be good for encoding. It comes with I think about 2000 preinstalled software packages... Maybe something there for encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I asked this mostly for people, who have experience with recording DV video (avi dv)
    for driver/device solutions, so i don't have to
    try-out every distribution, since they react all
    differenty.
    Thanks,

Yodel
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The tools are the same regardless of Linux distro, so it shouldn't matter that much which distro you choose.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having a problem. It seems that I am making the video in the correct form but the dvd is only playable in linux. i haven't tried it in windows but... it doesn't work on a dvd player. I use makedvd. I have also tried by creating the video with avidemux2 and then using dvdauthor -x dvdauthor.xml and then mkisofs -dvd-video dvd.img dvd_dir. both ways it will play on the computer but not on a dvd player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    on a dvd player.
    Does that mean "on one DVD player" or "on any DVD player"? Depending on how the mpeg is created (and made up of) the rest of your process seems fine...

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've only tried it on two in my place but all on the computer its fine. I haven't had any other dvd's to try it on but the two that matters the most won't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tried different media types (+r, +rw, -r, -rw)? Have you looked at the player reviews here to see what your players havdle? As I said, your authoring (from what you've described) sems sound, but that's only a small part of the total process...

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've made other dvd's from shrinking it on dvdshrink and ftping it to my computer and used the same media. When doing that I would growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=source.img and those work on every dvd that I try. My two, laptop, linux. Its just the ones that I author seem to be missing something.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Strange. Haven't tried makedvd, but dvdauthor quite a bit. Could you post your xml?
    Could also be your mpeg that's not up to standard?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok. i got makedvd to work. it seems there is a 'Save->Save As DVD PS' and once i've saved the video, saved the audio, mplexed them together I had to open it back up in avidemux2 and just Save->Save as DVD PS then I was able to 'makedvd file.mpg' and the dvd was created and able to view it on all dvd players in my house.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like your own multiplexing is the problem. What do you use to multiplex the a + v the first time?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mplex -f 8 video.m2v audio.mp2 -o video.mpg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's what I use too, without the probs you describe... Well, you've found a solution at least...

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes. saving the mpg from file->save->save as DVD PS works. Now I have a question about menu's and chapters. I want to create the main menu to be the first thing and to have chapter selections. First I tried to do just chapters and that didn't work so now I would like to just do it all at once. My xml looks like this

<dvdauthor>
    <vmgm />
    <titleset>
    <titles>
    <pgc>
    <vob file="Nicki.mpg" chapters="0,5:27,9:22,14:03,18:58,30:11,37:55" />
    <post>
    jump chapter 1;
    </post>
    </pgc>
    </titles>
    </titleset>
    </dvdauthor>

I thought that each time setting is a chapter which would mean there are 7 chapters so on my dvd I should be able to hit #7 and go to chapter 7 but that is not the case. Isn't that what should happen?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Does anybody capture from FireWire with Linux ?
    I have the ADVC100 from Canopus, it's a simulair device
    like DAC100 (DataVideo) I have no MiniDV camera but it is
    the same like connecting such a camera directly to FireWire.
    Thanks,

Yodel
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try Cinelerra.

You can get the source and compile it your self, there are lots of depends. Some distro's are easier to install on than others. Mostly due to the custom scripts, and non standard libs everybody uses.

Cinelerra is easiest to install when you do a new Gentoo install, if that's your cup of tea. There are pre compiled rpms for Suse, and if you have a Debian based distro, you can use their app install feature to find and locate all the depends.

You'll need a good system to take advantage of Cinelerra though. If you're not using Gentoo, Suse would be the easiest to install on.

Other than that, there are various firewire capture utilities, and some basic editing apps out there. Try http://rpmfind.net . You can get the necc. libs for Cinelerra there too.

Or save alot of time and go here http://www.linux1394.org/
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by disturbed1
    Try Cinelerra.

You can get the source and compile it your self, there are lots of depends. Some distro's are easier to install on than others. Mostly due to the custom scripts, and non standard libs everybody uses.

Cinelerra is easiest to install when you do a new Gentoo install, if that's your cup of tea. There are pre compiled rpms for Suse, and if you have a Debian based distro, you can use their app install feature to find and locate all the depends.

You'll need a good system to take advantage of Cinelerra though. If you're not using Gentoo, Suse would be the easiest to install on.

Other than that, there are various firewire capture utilities, and some basic editing apps out there. Try http://rpmfind.net . You can get the necc. libs for Cinelerra there too.

Or save alot of time and go here http://www.linux1394.org/
    Thank you ! this above link is what i was looking for !
    Let you now of my progress, thanks again.
    Thanks,

Yodel
    Quote Quote