VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a .DV file that came from a panasonic camcorder or waht ever you want to call it. My sister shot a wedding with it and edited the file on her macbook. I then transfered the file to my PC which is Vista. I can play the file in Quicktime as a DV, but if I change it .AVI it wont play in anything.

I need to either shrink it to a format and that will play on a DVD player and put it on a DVD or split it and have it in a format that I can put on a DVD to play on a DVD player.

Anyone help me with this? I have no clue about video editing what so ever.

Again its a 12.5GB .DV file that is 1 hour and 2 minutes long. Im suprised because for how big the file is, the quality doesnt seem that great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I need to get this thing off my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DV-AVI that comes off a MiniDV camcorder is 13GB per hour of video so the size is as it should be. I haven't used it but Enosoft DV Processor (I think that's the name) can give it the normal *.avi extension and allow you to edit on PC. It needs to be compressed to MPEG-2 format which can be put into a DVD authoring program.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so how can I go about compressing it to Mpeg2? Which is the format it needs to be to playon a normal DVD player right?

Becuase the video has already been edited I just need it shrunk/split/converted and burnt.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also tryed installing that enosoft DV processor and it doesnt do much. If i change the file name to AVI it still wont let me open it up in WMP or Windows movie maker.
    Quote Quote  
  5. check it with gspot and/or mediainfo. i might be type I DVavi and not the windows preferred type II. if so there is a free converter in the DV/HDV tools section you can get to change it to type II.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok so if I do all that, how do I convert ot Mpeg2?

Here is what Gspot gave me:

This is what mediainfo gave me:

Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by rayf01
    I also tryed installing that enosoft DV processor and it doesnt do much. If i change the file name to AVI it still wont let me open it up in WMP or Windows movie maker.
    Can you explain what you are doing? You can't change the file extension of the raw file - there's no AVI information there.

You need to open the raw DV file as input, select either a Type-1 or Type-2 DV AVI as output and click Run. It will then create a new AVI file based on the raw DV file. Most older applications tend to use the old fashioned Type-2 - check with your MPEG2 encoding software which you should use.

By default, the conversion will run at real-time speed (by design) but to make it run faster click the large Configure... button and check the 'Disable seeking/navigation' option. Do this before selecting the input file.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  8. first get it playable on your computer and then you will need to use an encoder to convert to mpeg-2. check the tools section if you don't have one, as there are couple free ones you can use. if you need really easy, then there are all-in-one converters like convertxtodvd, but they are not free. also check in the guides for how to convert to dvd mpeg-2.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can play it in Quicktime... thats it....
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Originally Posted by rayf01
    Can you explain what you are doing? You can't change the file extension of the raw file - there's no AVI information there.

You need to open the raw DV file as input, select either a Type-1 or Type-2 DV AVI as output and click Run. It will then create a new AVI file based on the raw DV file. Most older applications tend to use the old fashioned Type-2 - check with your MPEG2 encoding software which you should use.

By default, the conversion will run at real-time speed (by design) but to make it run faster click the large Configure... button and check the 'Disable seeking/navigation' option. Do this before selecting the input file.
    I tryed to conver it, but it says it cant be loaded because its not an AVI to begin with. It seems everything on here talks about DV avi files. but this is an actual DV file, which im assuming after doing some more reading would be RAW DV information right so I cant convert it like that can I?
    Quote Quote  
  11. That seems odd. There's no reason that the software shouldn't be able to correctly open a raw DV file that is truly just a byte-for-byte representation of the original DV. It's possible that QuickTime has created some weird file that contains the raw data but perhaps also an unnecessary few bytes.

From within our software, when you select a DV file source Windows tries to determine if there is a suitable file reader on the system or not. If it finds the right sequence of bytes at the right point in the file for a raw DV stream, it passes the Raw DV file reader to the software to use. As long as it is truly a DV stream, it will work. If there is even just one extra byte at the start, it won't work since it is no longer a true raw stream.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  12. johnnymalaria - does you software work on dv created on a mac? that's where his dv originated. somehow the mac made cam footage into raw dv rather than DVavi.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Edit:- I take it back. Not correct.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First option: Ask sis to make you a DVD with her iDVD. Done!

Second option: If you want to do it yourself, let us know if

A. You want to do it with free tools and have lots of time to learn.

B. You want to spend a few bucks (approx $40-60) to buy an easy to learn program such as ULead Movie Factory 6.
    http://www.ulead.com/dmf/runme.htm
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    johnnymalaria - does you software work on dv created on a mac? that's where his dv originated. somehow the mac made cam footage into raw dv rather than DVavi.
    I've had people use it successfully with raw DV files exported from FCP. There are some "raw" formats out there that aren't truly the raw data. In particular, they pad each DV frame to exact 512 byte boundaries in the file.

I'd be interested to see a hex dump of the first 1K from one the files.
    Quote Quote  
  16. well we can ask for a chunk.

rayf01 - any chance you can cut off the first 5mb of the file and post it here? winrar, or hjsplit are a couple programs that can lop off a hunk. after it makes the first 5mb chunk you can rename that piece and then quit the program so it doesn't take all day doing it to the whole file, and still have the first part.

something you might try - open the file in quicktime. stop play. click file/save as/ tick the box that says self-contained movie, give it a new name and location. it will save it as a new .mov file with the same video properties as the .dv. only problem is that it will create another file of the same size as the original, so make sure you have the room on the harddrive for it. then the .mov should be usable in an editor/encoder.
    Quote Quote