VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldcpu
    disturbed1 wrote:
    The main problem with Linux is the total lack of high quality software.
    I disagree with the word "total" and it is simply the wrong word, used to try and make a point. There is high quality software for Linux. I do agree (and think it is more accurate to say) that Windows has more high quality software than Linux.

disturbed1 wrote:
    There currently is not a video production app that even comes close to entry level apps on Windows.
    Not true. There are very expensive Linux movie production applications, that beat the pants off of entry level Windows apps. And no, I am not talking about Main Actor. Maybe you should research (or qualify) this a bit, before you make such a statement. I would agree with your statement if you qualified it and said "video production app for the average user".

disturbed1 wrote:
    My main personal computer is Linux, but I only do normal office things, web surfing, listen to music, and accounting* on that PC. I still have to have a windows PC around to do any type of video production.
    I agree here. For video production for the average user, Windows has a signficant advantage. BUT having typed that, I notice complete silence on the fact that one is SUPPOSED TO PAY for these Windows applications, and not pirate them. Take away the capability to pirate these Windows applications, and I think the nature of the ball game would change.
    Ok, well you got me on the first one. There isn't TOTAL LACK of high quality software. There are many, many outstanding first rate apps writen for Linux. But, the majority of apps, are bug ridden betas and alphas, it's these apps that far out number, and hinder the on lookers to Linux. It took me years of trying this program and that program to get to a set of tools that I can use every day that don't crash.

To qualify the Not a video production app that even comes close to entry level apps on Windows statement. For entry level video production, I consider to be, Sony Vegas Studio, anything by Magix, Priemere Elements, Sonic MyDVD series, and even Microsoft's Movie Maker, to name a couple. I've tried several video production apps for Linux. Kino, Cinelerra, Linux Video Studio (for my DC30), I have not used Blender, Jashaka, and definetly not Eyeon's DFX compositing system BTW, I'd rather use Windows Movie Maker than Main Actor.

Take away the capability to pirate these Windows applications, and I think the nature of the ball game would change.
    How true that is. Let me state this though. When I bought my DVCII, this gave me not just a hardware based mpeg2 capture device, but editing software, soundtrack composing software, and DVD authoring software, all for $199. All of the software was entry level, however, even this software if far above anything I've used in Linux. Considering it is 3-4years, speaks aloud how slowly video production is coming for Linux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by disturbed1
    There currently is not a video production app that even comes close to entry level apps on Windows.
    I understand, and agree with your point, when it comes to apps designed for the average user. Still, despite my having typed that, there are linux commercial apps that are more powerful than the entry level Windows multimedia apps. Take a look at:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Movie_Making_Manual-Linux_in_film_production

Read up on: http://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/baselight.html
    or http://www.ifx.com/
    or http://www.d2software.com/nuke.php

Now these are high end linux commercial apps (well beyond the price range of any individual user) and comparing them to the entry level commercial windows apps is not fair. But it does illustrate one must qualify a statement about video production applications.
    Quote Quote