VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I see that a number of other individuals are having problems capturing video in VirtualDub at higher resolutions. I am using version 1.4.7 of VirtualDub (I’ve also tried earlier versions to no avail) and running Windows XP, to make matters even worse, my capture card (I/O Magic PC PVR/Pinnacle Studio PCTV) uses a WDM wrapper. I’m not sure where I can get VFW drivers which will work with this card or even if this is the root of the problem. Either way, I can’t capture above 352x240 without getting an “Error 418: Unsupported Format.” The does capture beautifully at 353x240 without a single dropped frames but I want to capture at 720x480. Is this possible, or how can I at least increase above 353x240. Thanks!

-jmmsumru
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do you have the video set to Preview mode? Go to --> Video/Preview

Now, hide the capture so it's not displayed. Having the video displayed as it's captured will slow things down and possibly cause frames to be dropped. Go to --> Capture/Hide on Capture
    Quote Quote  
  3. With Win2k (and I assume Windows XP) you must use the
    vfw->wdm wrapper in order to capture at resolutions higher than 352x240. I am using Win2k w/ ATI AIW card and VDub 1.4.7 and I can capture at full frame 720x576.

Avery has a great post about this in his archived news section on the virtualdub.org website:
    http://www.virtualdub.org/virtualdub_news_old.html

I wonder if this shouldnt be placed in a FAQ or something. I have been seeing this question in the forums quite a bit lately.

I hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I get the same error at program start but it still allows me to capture at any resolution, go figure, must be a bug with the ati drivers, as usual....lol
    Quote Quote