VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I had someone record some video on their phone for me and it plays fine on my laptop and my PC.

However I tried 3 different brands of TV and on all three the video shows up either sideways or upside down.

I have looked through all the user manuals and the on screen menus to no avail.

Any help would be great

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Typically TV's don't pay attention to the rotation flag in the video header. You'll have to rotate and reencode for proper playback on TVs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sadly so many people don't know the correct orientation of their phones when making videos as opposed to taking a still portrait shot. Often in news coverage where a citizen captures some exciting video with the phone held upright as if they were taking a portrait shot of Aunt Maude etc. Sideways is 16:9 like the TV screen and the Home button should be on the right otherwise you are likely to end up with an upside down image.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you can upload a small sample of the raw video then we can see if it was encoded wrong and be fixed without re-encoding.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. .mp4 files include the rotation flag, but obviously not all players seem to read it. My Samsung TV does fortunately, but when I remux the .mp4 file to .mkv in order to convert VFR to CFR the rotation information is lost. At the end I have to resize and re-enocode, unfortunately.
    Even when one films with mobile phones in landscape mode there is still the chance that the picture is flipped upside down.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only if the phone has the start or home button on the left instead of where it should be on the right. iPhones and Android.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote