VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there.

Just recently bought a miniDV cam, NV-GS230. Just shot a few minuters of footage to check it out, and wanted to check out how it goes capturing to my PC. Ialready had Adobe Premiere years ago when I was studying Digital Media at school..

I bought a Firewire cable from an electronics store (not an expensive one aimed at DV), plugged it in and both Premiere, the Panasonic software and my PC did not recognize my camera??

*Should Windows install the camera, like it would a USB device? or is it just plaug'n'play?
    *Would this be a problem with my firewire port on my motherboard? I have tried both ports.. (ASUS M2N32-SLi Deluxe)
    *Will a PCI/Firewire board fix this problem??
    *Any ideas?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Don't get offended by this question but it's legitimate. Do you have the camera turned on?

If so then I'd check to make sure you're firewire ports are working correctly. Try starting with the camera off. Plug into your PC firewire port then into your camera. Then turn the camera on playback mode. Your PC should recognize it and install appropriate drivers like a USB device.

Also, since you're using Windows make sure you have SP2 installed. Most likely you do but I'm trying to cover every angle.

A PCI card shouldn't act any differently than an onboard port but they are relatively inexpensive and if you can't get your onboard ports to work you might try this.

You can also try using WinDV for transferring and see if it recognizes anything on your PC.

Lastly, since your using a Panasonic I'd highly recommend pana3ccduser.com forums. It's not as big as this site but all the people there are Panasonic users and may be able to help on specific problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah. I had the camera on/off, playback/pc mode. I tried everything..
    Its the first time iver used a firewire device on this motherboard (i installed the new mother board, so maybe I didnt connect the firewire ports properly)

Thanks for all your help.. Im glad Ive found this forum. Very helpful.

Thanks for the pana forum link too!! I find when I search Google for anything to do with this camera, all I get is 1000 pages bestbuy shops..
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry. double post
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try swapping PCI slots for the IEEE-1394 card to force reinstall. You should see the IEEE-1394 driver in the device manager. Try the cam on another computer to verify the port is working.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. I believe he's saying that his firewire port is onboard and wanted to know if a PCI card would be better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stantheman1976
    I believe he's saying that his firewire port is onboard and wanted to know if a PCI card would be better.
    If that is thge case, he may not have installed the Firewire drivers off the motherboard install CD. Call the mobo help line if you don't see the driver in device manager.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Originally Posted by stantheman1976
    I believe he's saying that his firewire port is onboard and wanted to know if a PCI card would be better.
    If that is thge case, he may not have installed the Firewire drivers off the motherboard install CD. Call the mobo help line if you don't see the driver in device manager.
    hmm silly me... You know what?? You are right.

I didnt install some of the drivers when I changed my motherboard...
    I run a DAW for music production and try not to install anything i dont have to... Seems as though I failed to install the firewire drivers..!!

All good now.. Thanks.
    Now to post another question, in accessories.. That damned pana3ccd forum hasnt accepted me yet, so I cant post..

Thanks once again. Im only just getting into video, after years on music production.. This forum seems the place to be..!! Quite active too
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been struggling the last couple of days, because my new pc (Windows 10) didnt recognize my NV-GS230 video camera. I thought, that it was because, I had installed a new pci express (firewire card) wrong, and ive tried different drivers, different video capture programs and even bought something called "Videograbber" n tried with s-cables. Anything to get my old gems (tapes) to a pc, so I can store it in a cloud service + external HDD. I gave up. Then a couple days later, I thought to myself, it cant be that hard, and started browsing the web again.

Solution:

1) Check if my firewire connection works

- "how to enter BIOS on a Windows 10 pc "
    - Follow the instructions in BIOS to test IE1394 port
    - My result showed "successful"

Ok so now I know my firewire works to the camera.

2) Found yet another video capture program called "NCH Suite", and when I used the free version, I choose "Video" in the top, and then pick "debut video capture software" - run it now. Then I choose "Device" in the top.

And now the most important step before it worked! Start the playback function on the camera, otherwise the program says "no video feed from your DV device" 😂 All the other programs has just shown "device could not be found" instead of the correct answer "no video feed" because I didnt start the playback on the camera.

I feel clever n stupid at the same time 😂 Hope this helps others with their DV projects.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Debut keeps crashing my computer (BSOD) but Scenealyzer works OK on Win 10 20H2 to capture DV via Firewire.
    Quote Quote