VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I was at radio shack today (batteries). There was a hdmi cable that claimed it was "high speed" hdmi. It also said it could do up to 1440P. Whats the point for this?

It's my understanding that hdmi is a uniform standard for high def audio and video in one combined cable. It is used to deliver encrypted (and unecypted obvioulsy) high def content. There are various standards that continue to change but the "guts" remain the same.

Why would a cable need to be "high speed"?

Is this anything like USB where there are true differences between usb 1 and 2? Or is this merely a marketing gimmick?

Edit - This is the brand:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3526547&tab=summary

See and hear what you've been missing.
    Auvio cable performance far exceeds today's HD standards, maximizing your HD signal and minimizing interference. This HDMI cable is the simplest and best way to get an all-digital A/V signal to your system and the best possible picture and sound to you.

* 24k gold-plated hybrid HDMI connectors ensures the best connection possible for the best picture
    * Triple shielding prevents outside electrical interference from ruining your digital picture
    * Connects your HDTV to products like DVD players, A/V receivers, set top boxes & satellite receivers
    * Designed for a secure fit, easy installation and years of reliable use
    * Durable Optiflex™ cover, low-loss conductor and dual twisted-pair construction
    * Enjoy worry-free ownership with the limited lifetime warranty

It doesn't have the same verbage that the box in the store had but this is the brand I was looking at.

Also what is a hdmi c cable? Are they now introducing different hdmi sizes like all the various usb plugs that are out there? That is crazy if they are introducing new fittings for hdmi.....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldnt trust what they say,kinda like saying you need proper co-ax connectors for digital audio while any rca cable will do plus their shipping policy really means-

Free Ground Shipping for any order over $50 - except Desktops, Laptops, Televisions & most Products.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    88% hype.

HDMI video mostly follows DVI-D spec. There are single and dual link HDMI cables. Dual link has more pins so won't fit consumer products or most PC display cards. Top resolution is a trade off with bits per pixel. Nobody would opt for 1440p at less than 24bits per pixel except maybe for CAD or oil exploration?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

HDMI cables are usually spec'd for version 1.2 (165MHz) or version 1.3 up (340MHz). Since ATSC/DVB and Blu-Ray are using maximum 1920x1080p there is no point to go above for consumer video although some computer monitors can display desktops larger forcing video to be upscaled.

The one thing they say that has merit is "triple shielding" which is nice for longer cables (> 5m).

Type A and C connectors have 19 pins (single link) but the type C is smaller for portable devices.

Type B is larger and has 21 pins for dual link.

Type D is a future v1.4 version that has 19 pins and is smaller than Type A or C.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eddv
    type C is smaller for portable devices.
    Do you mean like the upcoming zunehd that is supposed to be able to connect to hdtvs? I can understand that then.

I can also understand thicker cables for long runs. THe rest does seem like overkill - hype as you put it.

Thanks johns0 as well......
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. If there's ever any consumer A/V equipment that does 1440p you'll be ready for it, cable-wise. It's a way to get you to pay $50 for a $10 cable. Once consumer equipment that does 1440p is generally available, HDMI cables that can handle it will cost $10 (in current dollars). Look at Monster's marketing hype.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Next step up from 1080p isn't 1440p but 2048P (aka 4Kx2k@24-36bit) which currently needs 2x dual link. You only need to worry about this if you operate a Digital Cinema. Cables are less than 0.05% of the cost since Digital Cinema cables can be short.

Zune needs very basic HDMI cables but I don't know the connector it uses. Probably Type A.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote