VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I was watching this video tutorial on how to configure AmaRecTV and he featured a new version that is not available here, Is this version good for capturing VHS tapes, Also he was talking about OBS, What is it and where to get it? Do I have to go thru this or should I just download the version hosted here and call it a day?
    Quote Quote  
  2. OBS is Open Broadcaster Software.

https://projectobs.com/en/

It's open source software for for people who want to live stream video. It can also be used to record whatever is on the screen (like when making tutorials). You don't need it to capture video from your capture device with AmaRec.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Thanks Jagabo, He mentioned the AmarecTV has sound problems, Is it true? I'm not setup to capture right now due to some renovation work going on, I'm just curious about AmaRecTV because I could never get VertDub to work without sound drift problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Thanks Jagabo, He mentioned the AmarecTV has sound problems, Is it true?
    I don't know anything about that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Depends on your device and what codecs you have installed on your system. As far as I'm aware the last version of AmarecTV that doesn't require you to buy their custom codecs is v3.10. I found this by rooting around on the Japanese website and looking at the links before clicking on them. (It may be available more easily by now.) Just remember to click on the 'Update Codec List' button in the 'Recording' tab to populate the list of available codecs to use.

Edit: Just to point out that even though I downloaded from the Japanese site, it still works in english.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Thanks Jagabo, He mentioned the AmarecTV has sound problems, Is it true? I'm not setup to capture right now due to some renovation work going on, I'm just curious about AmaRecTV because I could never get VertDub to work without sound drift problem.
    I switched to AmaRecTV precisely because I could never get VirtualDub to reliably sync the audio stream. Never had a sound problem thereafter.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    Depends on your device and what codecs you have installed on your system. As far as I'm aware the last version of AmarecTV that doesn't require you to buy their custom codecs is v3.10. I found this by rooting around on the Japanese website and looking at the links before clicking on them. (It may be available more easily by now.) Just remember to click on the 'Update Codec List' button in the 'Recording' tab to populate the list of available codecs to use.

Edit: Just to point out that even though I downloaded from the Japanese site, it still works in english.
    I mentioned the new version in my first post, That's why I started this thread.

I have to figure out how to install more codecs there like Lagarith and HuffYUV, I don't see them on the list:

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	2177
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	47609  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	2162
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	47610  

Last edited by dellsam34; 24th Dec 2018 at 14:27.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I specifically mentioned v3.10 as there are newer versions (V4.??) available that require you to purchase their own codec (or, at least, they did the last time I looked) before you can capture. On top of that, I think I'm right in saying that if you install the v4+ version then you need to uninstall and clean out the registry before installing an earlier version if you want it to work properly.

If you want to install Huffyuv and Lagarith then just download them from VideoHelp's download pages and follow the installation instructions for your version of Windows. I still use Lagarith to capture to on an Intel C2D running Win10 x64, and get noticeably smaller file sizes than I get with either UT Video or Magic YUV v1.2. I've had conversations with other people who find they get smaller files using UT Video, so . . . ?

Let us know how you get on.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I didn't have to install AmaRecTV, I just run the application from the downloaded folder, So I don't think I'd need any registry cleaning, As for pluggins, Lagarith was installed correctly and appeared on the list, But HuffUYV is just a dll file I will have to figure out where to put it so it can appear on the AmaRecTV pluggin list.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You're absolutely right about AmarecTV, it is a portable program. I must be going senile as I have a nasty suspicion I've had almost exactly the same conversation with somebody else! D'oh! Must be thinking of another program and having to clean out the registry?

I can't remember how I installed HuffYUV but there are some instructions in the most recent review/comment on the Videohelp download page.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    There is a command line instruction that didn't work for me, I tried moving the file to C and tried putting the exact file path nothing worked, I had it working before on VertDub by dropping it on specific folder but AmaRecTV doesn't have such folder.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Never mind I figure it out. I wasn't using CMD as administrator, I had to type in CMD in the search bar and when it appeared I right click on it and clicked "Run as administrator" worked with no errors, Had to put the file on the root C:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd c:\windows\syswow64

c:\Windows\SysWOW64>rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 c:\huffyuv.inf

c:\Windows\SysWOW64>

Now AmaRecTV displays both codecs:

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	2265
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	47617  

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    You're absolutely right about AmarecTV, it is a portable program.
    In fact, it runs with an INI file. (How quaint!) I know because you have to tweak a setting in there to turn off auto-dual-mono.
    Quote Quote  
  14. @dellsam34 - I wondered about that after I'd gone to bed (sad man that I am!) I was going to suggest it today but you beat me to it.

@JVRaines - Now you've got me wondering what other settings are in there? Time for a little exploring methinks.
    Quote Quote