VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, complete noob here. I've tried several times to figure this all out and each time has resulted in me removing the program and giving up only to try again in a weeks time. I have fiddled with the program every which way I can think of and still I have no results. Any help on any front would be most appreciated.

Basically I have an assortment of video files and I want to burn them to DVD so that I can watch on my TV and such.

Firstly, I have .ogm and .mkv files which have two audio tracks and one subtitle track, how do I burn them to DVD whilst keeping both audio tracks and the subtitles?

Secondly, I have .rmvb files. When I attempt to convert them to DVD format it either fails or finishes without a file actually being created. When I try to convert it into AVI it either fails to do anything, or fails to start. What am I doing wrong? As far as I can tell I've added the codes properly, the .rmvb file plays in ffmpegX but I can't seem to do anything with it.

Finally, I have and .avi file which has two audio tracks, with it I also have a .srt file. What do I have to do to be able to burn it to DVD while keeping both audio tracks and the subs?

Any help would be much appreciated cause the routine is getting tiresome. I don't even know if any of this is possible

Thanks

Oh, and I want it to be soft subs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi bkfng,

I haven't tried the soft-sub stuff, but I have a thought on the .rmvb file.

This worked for me: simply change .rmvb to .rm.

Also, make sure that there are no strange characters in the *entire* path to the file that you are converting. If it contains Japanese characters, for example, either in the folder or in the file name, replace them with "normal" characters.

ps. I look forward to how you get along with the soft subs. I have some avi's with softsubs and would like to do the same thing--put them on a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bkfng
    Firstly, I have .ogm and .mkv files which have two audio tracks and one subtitle track, how do I burn them to DVD whilst keeping both audio tracks and the subtitles?
    Convert with a DVD preset, de-select authoring, and keep the elementary streams (m2v, ac3). Convert the second audio stream separately to AC3 (or mp2).
    Next, mux the video and two audio streams, using the Mux tab. Next, Author with the newly muxed .mpg file and the .srt subtitle.

Secondly, I have .rmvb files. When I attempt to convert them to DVD format it either fails or finishes without a file actually being created. As far as I can tell I've added the codes properly, the .rmvb file plays in ffmpegX but I can't seem to do anything with it.
    Use the DVD mpeg2enc preset and select Decode with mplayer in the Options tab. (RealMedia processing in ffmpegX requires mplayer.)

Finally, I have and .avi file which has two audio tracks, with it I also have a .srt file. What do I have to do to be able to burn it to DVD while keeping both audio tracks and the subs?
    See #1.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the help. I've had a try at it all.

First, I've managed to split the .avi into one movie file with the first audio track, and an .ac3 file of the second audio track but I can't seem to mux them, it just says failed.

Both attempts at converting the Real media have come up with a fail.

The .ogm causes ffmpegX to crash.

With the .mkv file it says finished straight away. The file it produces is a dud. Also, with my .mkv files the subtitles are built into the file but can be turn on and off. I can't figure how to pull out the subtitles into it's own file.

Does anyone know any solutions?

I've also been trying to convert .wmv files. When I try to convert it to DVD format or DivX it again produces a dud. Anyway around this?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello Case, I have the same problem.

I have an mkv file with 2 audio tracks and 1 sub track, and I just want to convert the mkv with the 2 audio tracks to an avi file, so I can switch between the 2 audio languages in my DVD player. I realize that I cannot create prerendered subs with ffmpegx, so I will have to make a separate srt. file if I wish to turn the subs on or off when viewing in vlc or my DVD player, is that correct?

I really need some "ffmpegx for dummies" hand holding to get me through this initial problem, as I am very, very new to this!

1-I drag the mkv file into the 'source format' pane and..?

Please, by all means do not be afraid to reply in simplistic terms suited for a five year-old. The simpler the explanation, the quicker I will be able to get up-and-running. Honestly, I would not be offended, as it would be more helpful and I would appreciate it greatly. [do you have youtube videos doing step-by-step tutorials of this sort of thing?].

yours head scratchingly,

Barry Gibson.
    Last edited by peter tron; 4th Jan 2011 at 09:18. Reason: clarifying
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For MKV to AVI, you should really be looking into MKVtools, as that application is designed to do just that: convert for playback on DivX capable DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for replying Case.

OK, i'll give MKVTools a try, but I still need to find out how to address the 2 audio tracks issue [unless MKVTools manages to address that?].

cheers,

Barry.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hello,

can anyone advise me about this?

thanks,

Barry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It seems that MKVTools 2.2.6 (the last PPC version) doesn't provide for more than one audio track when converting to AVI.

Neither does ffmpegX in one conversion, but you can add a second audio track...

(1) I've seen ffmpegX error on the framerate it reads from (some) MKVs. So use some other utility to get the correct framerate.
    (2) Use MKVTools to extract the second audio track as a separate audio file.
    (3) Load the MKV in ffmpegX.
    (4) Set the XviD mencoder preset.
    (5) Set the correct framerate in the Video tab.
    (6) Optional: Set any other options you wish to activate.
    (7) Encode.
    (8) Load the separate audio track from step 2 in ffmpegX.
    (9) Set the Audio file to mp3 preset.
    (10) Encode.
    (11) Switch to the Tools tab. Select the Mux sub-tab. Set multiplex options to Mux as "AVI+audio".
    (12) In the video field, load your converted AVI
    (13) In the first audio field, load your converted MP3 audio file.
    (14) Mux.
    Now you have an AVI with two audio tracks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. thanks case. those steps are nicely laid out for me to have a good crack at it. i'll have a go and get back to you to let you know of either [a] sucess, or [b]...? [well, hopefully [b] being failure won't happen it everything works.

cheers,

Barry.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi Case,

i'm attempting to mux.

when muxing, i assume all i have to do is go straight to the 'tools' tab and select 'mux', then attach the .avi and .mp3 in the relevant fields?

the reason i'm asking this is i assume i don't have to drag the converted .avi back into the 'source format window in the 'summary' tab prior to attaching the converted .avi in the mux window?

the same goes for audio: would i be right in assuming i [also] do not need to 'load audio' in the 'audio' window, as these options are only needed if i want to convert the relevant files?

i'm only asking because when i try to mux, the progress bar is constantly showing as 'striped'. e.g.:- it isn't displaying 'percentage completed'.

also, i was not prompted for a file destination [i have files currently set to dl to the desktop, but there is nothing there...]

is this correct, is it just a question of waiting a long time for a 1gb file to mux?

here's hoping..

Barry.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you correctly assumed that the Tools tab works independently of regular conversions and the muxing does only require files to be added in the designated fields in the tools tab.

Originally Posted by peter tron View Post
    the progress bar is constantly showing as 'striped'. e.g.:- it isn't displaying 'percentage completed'.
    I think this is normal. I think the percentage completed may not be calculated for muxing, and as long is the percetage isn't known, you will see the striped bar (a.k.a. barber shop pole).

Originally Posted by peter tron
    i was not prompted for a file destination [i have files currently set to dl to the desktop, but there is nothing there...]
    Eventually, it should show a file in the same location as the AVI with a name that ends in ".muxed.avi".

Originally Posted by peter tron
    is it just a question of waiting a long time for a 1gb file to mux?
    Not sure how long it should take, as my test file was only 41 seconds (6.3 MB).
    Quote Quote  
  13. hmmm.. the mux process was going for 5:15mins, and there was no mux file next to the destination .avi file.

also, clicking the stop button has no effect, you have to physically quit the progress program.

any ideas?

to be honest, it's easier and quicker [not to mention less stress] to just encode two avi's, one with the english audio track [no subs], and the other with the japanese audio track with the .srt subs next to it in the same folder, but it'd be nice to know how to do these things [plus knowing to would be more beneficial in the long run..].

regards,

Barry.
    Quote Quote