VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Have a 400GB folder of PNG files that I want to make into a smaller video, obviously, but not sure how to go about it. I understand that I an feed the files into a program like avidemux, but what settings do I use, do the PNG files have information that tell the program how to join and compress the files into a video? Any advice? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    most people use a video editing program. vegas pro is what i use. some have free trials you can download. have fun.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. If they're sequentially numbered (named) you can open them in VirtualDub2 (free), specify a video codec, and save as video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You mean, you want to create a single video with all those PNG files, each being converted to a few frames of video ? For what purpose ? Should all the picures be included ? 400GB is huge... What is their resolution ? Do you want / need to keep the same resolution for the video ? Do the pictures have to be in a particular order, or their current alphanumeric order is fine ?

Using Avisynth and ImageSource(), with a good text editor (like Notepad2, or TEDNotepad which has more features, or perhaps it could be done directly within AVSPMod, a special editor which allows to visualize the video output of AVS scripts), you could fine-tune the output to your liking, for instance adding a fade-in and fade-out to each picture. I don't know how well an Avisynth script would work with hundreds or thousands of pictures, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    PNG is a lossless compression, and is an intra-frame codec. It averages ~2.5:1 compression. It commonly would be expected that a video file which used hd files and is compressed with h264 might be compressed to ~300:1 and be 5GB. Working backward, one can see that an equivalent source png sequence would amount to ~600GB.

In other words, if you are rendering a unique animation to png image sequence (a common best practice among animators, for workflow efficiency and quality control reasons), it would be perfectly normal and expected to fill a folder to that capacity, prior to final video distribution encoding.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 7th Jul 2020 at 01:52.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Alright then. And so, if that's indeed similar to the situation exposed in this thread (which is rather fuzzy as it is), what are the best practices among animators to convert PNG pictures to video ? I would guess that professional animators use professional software... And I would guess that a professional wouldn't ask such a question...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
    Alright then. And so, if that's indeed similar to the situation exposed in this thread (which is rather fuzzy as it is), what are the best practices among animators to convert PNG pictures to video ? I would guess that professional animators use professional software... And I would guess that a professional wouldn't ask such a question...
    I was using AI software to enhance/upscale a video. The program allows you to output to PNG or TIFF images(the native video output is x263 for reasons best known to the developer) which then need to be converted back into video and obviously compressed as well. I used virtualdub2 to convert/compress to x265 in the end.
    Quote Quote