VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm in the process of putting together a new/revised setup to capture analog home videos using a Windows 7 Laptop. I planned on using the laptop as a capture machine only.

I have an iMac with FCP7 for my editing needs with better specs than the laptop - So I tried to get Hybrid/QTGMC working on the Mac, but so far I haven't been successful getting VapourSynth installed in order to have QTGMC available in Hybrid. (Posted about that here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/398492-VapourSynth-on-Mac-OS-X-10-10-%28Hybrid-QTGMC%29)

My question is, can I/should I use the Laptop for deinterlacing/converting to final output video using Hybrid/QTGMC? My primary concern is overheating. The laptop generates a significant amount of heat when performing simple tasks (or just being on), let alone converting hours of video with a CPU-intensive process. Is this a valid concern? I don't want to fry my capture machine.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    It is possible to control the number of CPU cores used when using multithreading in the video filtering process. It is also possible to control the task priority of the application process. Still, video filtering will in general be CPU intense, a laptop won't be the optimal platform (it would probably throttle down when getting hot, increasing the duration further). Raise it to ensure optimal ventilation.
    Quote Quote