VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been doing video capturing for quite some time on my desktop system using an Osprey 2000D DV Pro capture card. I just recently got a Canopus ADVC110 for my laptop, so I could do short captures using the convenience of a laptop.

Using the same software on both machines - VirtualDubMod, VirtualVCR, Vegas; have experience with all three on my main rig. The ADVC110 shows up in my Hardware Manager (running XP Pro SP2) indicating that it's operating properly. Problem is that this device does not seem to show up as a selectable device in any of these programs. The only thing that shows up is some kind of Microsoft Capture device. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but how do I get this device to be visible and selectable from these programs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It will not work with VirtualDub anything nor VirtualVCR but it should work with VEGAS so I don't know what the issue there is ... I would try WinDV or DVIO or maybe even ScenalyzerLive if all else fails.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't why you can't use VD or if you can however any program made for capturing DV will be suitable, even windows Movie Maker. The resultant file will for the most part be identical no matter what program you use. The only way they differ is some options like splitting by scene, file size, type 1 or type 2 DV... all really minor things.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, there seems to be a difference of opinion here. John, truth be told I hadn't tried Vegas yet (it was getting late) but will when I get home.

I thought the Canopus - unlike the Plextor 402 - was not limited to the capture programs which could be used with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It shows up as a standard DV device here. I'm not sure whether my PC knows it's an ADVC110 specifically or not - I've never looked. Anything that can capture DV video (e.g. from a camcorder via firewire) can capture from the ADVC devices - they look the same to the system.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The Canopus is a hardware DV encoder similar to the Plextor device except thats a MPEG encoder, any capture program that supports DV will be able to utilize it. e.g. if the capture program can capture from a DV cam it can capture from the Canopus. The video coming across the firewire is already encoded to DV, the "capture" program is really nothing more than a middle man that allows you to save the stream to disc.

There might be a few programs that can't capture with it but its really irrelevant since there is so many available.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided
    It shows up as a standard DV device here. I'm not sure whether my PC knows it's an ADVC110 specifically or not - I've never looked. Anything that can capture DV video (e.g. from a camcorder via firewire) can capture from the ADVC devices - they look the same to the system.

Cheers,
    David.
    David, how exactly is it identified and which capture program are you using?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's on my home PC so I can't check how it's identified, but it works with WinDV, Vegas, some Ulead software (not sure what - came free with the Firewire card), Windows Movie maker etc - anything that works with DV.

My preference is WinDV, because it's reliable.

I might have seen it called "Microsoft DV" or something like that in one program maybe - I can't really remember.

If you give the ADVC110 a video signal and plug it in (6-pin Firewire includes power supply - won't work if your Firewire card doesn't send power down it!), Windows should pop up a window asking what you want to use to capture that video (unless you've disabled this message box previously).

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Install XP SP3. My laptop wouldn't recognize my camcorder until I installed SP3.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    gadgetguy, XP SP2 does recognize the ADVC110 as a video capture device. I think the suggestions regarding using the correct software are probably the right ones.

So the question is: what programs other than Vegas and MS Movie Maker are able to work with DV capture devices?

And am I still limited to DV capable software if I use the analog inputs to the ADVC110?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tonyp2
    gadgetguy, XP SP2 does recognize the ADVC110 as a video capture device. I think the suggestions regarding using the correct software are probably the right ones.

So the question is: what programs other than Vegas and MS Movie Maker are able to work with DV capture devices?

And am I still limited to DV capable software if I use the analog inputs to the ADVC110?
    You had your answers with my very first post in this thread ... the very first response.

What more do you want?

And yes you are restricted to DV capable software as you have a DV only piece of hardware although there are some "convoluted" ways to capture direct-to-mpg yet I would say NO to those methods as it is not how that device was made. Capture DV AVI and then do with it whatever with it afterwards (be it conversion to MPEG-2 or DivX or H.264 etc.)

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    What more do you want?
    Some of us don't do this for a living, John. While I do have and use an Osprey 2000D, that reality hardly makes me all-knowing in these activities. My confusion lay in being able to use tools like VirtualDub in capturing data from the Osprey when fed through its analog inputs, but not being able to do the same with an external Canopus. I can only presume that the drivers supplied with the Osprey (or any internal capture card, I suppose) is what allows them to be used with these VfW or WDM -capable programs. Confirmation, guidance, and correction is all I'm looking for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your input is analogue beit it from a VCR or a non-digital camera then you plug your analogue cables - audio and video into the ADVC

The cable into the PC should be a firewire becuase if you connect analogue cables into another capture card then you are just using the device as pass-though. Then the other device is doing the capturing and not the ADVC.

Many programs will see the ADVC. I use Ulead Video Studio, Ulead Media Studio, Ulead DVD Movie Factory, Ulead DVD Workshop, Vegas. I've also done demo captures with Cyberlink Software. And Evem Windows Movie Maker.

Most see the ADVC as either "Unknown -MSDV' or 'AVC Compliant Device'. If you do not have another capture device then under Movie Maker it should select it automatically.

Just one thing. I do not have a ADVC 110. I use a ADVC 300 and that device has a button on topic to switch from a digital input to an analogue one. If the 110 also has this button, that could make some difference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The reason for the non selections is DV is a set bitrate, DV is DV, it doesn't deviate. The only thing that can differ on it is the frequency of the audio and I'm pretty sure the Canopus doesn't allow for that. Been a while since I used mine so I'm not sure. It's common on comcoders to have a selection for this. FYI if you get a camcorder they usually default to 12 bit(32khz). Be sure to change it 16-bit(48khz).

The card like the Plextor which does MPEG would have selections because MPEG allows for different bitrates, resolutions etc.

Other cards that do not do hardware encoding will allow for any format but generally these are never as good as hardware encoder for a specific format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tonyp2
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    What more do you want?
    Some of us don't do this for a living, John. While I do have and use an Osprey 2000D, that reality hardly makes me all-knowing in these activities. My confusion lay in being able to use tools like VirtualDub in capturing data from the Osprey when fed through its analog inputs, but not being able to do the same with an external Canopus. I can only presume that the drivers supplied with the Osprey (or any internal capture card, I suppose) is what allows them to be used with these VfW or WDM -capable programs. Confirmation, guidance, and correction is all I'm looking for.
    My point was I confirmed all this in my first post. I said it won't work with Virtualdub anything nor VirtualVCR and what programs it will work with.

Granted I didn't go into a lot of details and by no means was my list comprehensive but I did give you 4 options that work (Vegas, WinDV, DVIO and ScenalyzerLive) and yet after my post and all the other posts you are still asking for WHAT PROGRAMS WORK ... duh duh and triple duh are you freakin' daft or what ???

It's like you never read my post at all ... or any of the other posts. Hell look at the post by 2Bdecided who confirmed ...

Oh forget it ... obviously you can't read well and/or are dense.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Although it's been ages that I've used my canopus advc 100 I did use ScenalyzerLive. It worked well with my canopus advc 100. I had that Panasonic dv codec installed as well when I did capturing with my canopus advc 100.
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Panasonic_DV_Codec
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It all worked itself out; for some reason I had to reboot my laptop a couple of times. This even after it was showing in Hardware Manager as detected and working. Ah well. Test caps in Win Movie Maker and Vegas look okay.
    Quote Quote