VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good afternoon

I have a number of video files from a TV series that are shorter than the subtitle files because the series was shown as either 8 x 45 min episodes in one country but as 4 x 90 min episodes in another.

So I have 8 45 minute video files with no subs and 4 x 90 minute subtitle files. Considering my options:

1. I could join the two video files but as each has an intro - the ST for the 2nd part are going to be a fair bit out. I don't really want to have to edit the intro out of the 2nd part just to get the titles aligned if it can be avoided.

2. I could split the SRT files so that I end up with two 45 minute subtitle files but then I'm not quite sure how to approach the timing for the second file which obviously starts from ~46 minutes onward.

I know Subtitle Edit can do the reverse - it can join 2 shorter subtitles and change the timings on the second one to add the end time of the previous but I don't think it can do this?

I'm open to suggestions please.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can do both two ways with Subtitle Edit.

When you'd join the two video-files into one, open that (already) combined video within SE with the 90 min srt already loaded. Select all the lines that are meant for the second part, right-click --> "Show selected lines earlier/later or --> "Visual sync selected lines". If need be, of course you can do that for the first part too.

You can also split: SE has a split option in Tools. However, easiest way is to load the 90 min srt, select all lines belonging to one part, right-click --> "Save selected lines as..." Save it, load it with the according 45 min video and use the sync tool if necessary.

Voilà, Bob's your uncle.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help. I'll give both methods a try and see which works best.
    Quote Quote