VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone. I’m new here, I made an account to get some insight into my little challenge.

I just got all my VHS video tapes converted into digital files, which is wonderful. These tapes are each 2 hours long and contain quite a few videos on each tape. I need to split each 2-hour taps into individual videos so that they are easier to manage and find what I am looking for. I would also like to save them to IPhoto. Boy has this been more challenging than I thought it would!

I use a Mac. I have downloaded quite a few apps that claim to split videos, but none of them let me actually save the individual clips (and I wouldn’t be surprised if they gave me a virus). They just allow you to split the videos to edit the overall video but they don’t allow you to save the clips.. I have also tried IMovie, in which I found a way to save each clip. The only downside is that these files are in MP4, which is not very compatible with IMovie. Works OK, except there is no sound.

So I am wondering, I can’t be the only one who has wanted to do this. Is there a more simple way?

Thanks,

Kelly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From your post I suspect you are trying to do this on a Mac. Kindly confirm. Plenty of software available on a standard PC. Not so much on a Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  3. AviDemux shuld run on MAC. Never ued it but you could give it a shot.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    SmartCutter can cut or join most video files SD and HD including MP4 losslessly, It is not free however, but it is the best among the the apps I've tried so far.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    AviDemux shuld run on MAC. Never ued it but you could give it a shot.
    Would have been one of my recc softwares. Did not realise it was cross-platform.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi everyone, thank you for the recommendations. I do indeed have a Mac. I tried SmartCutter but for some reason it keeps crashing when I upload my videos, before I am able to do anything. I am trying AviDemux now.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
    Hi everyone. I’m new here, I made an account to get some insight into my little challenge.

I just got all my VHS video tapes converted into digital files, which is wonderful. These tapes are each 2 hours long and contain quite a few videos on each tape. I need to split each 2-hour taps into individual videos so that they are easier to manage and find what I am looking for. I would also like to save them to IPhoto. Boy has this been more challenging than I thought it would!

I use a Mac. I have downloaded quite a few apps that claim to split videos, but none of them let me actually save the individual clips (and I wouldn’t be surprised if they gave me a virus). They just allow you to split the videos to edit the overall video but they don’t allow you to save the clips.. I have also tried IMovie, in which I found a way to save each clip. The only downside is that these files are in MP4, which is not very compatible with IMovie. Works OK, except there is no sound.

So I am wondering, I can’t be the only one who has wanted to do this. Is there a more simple way?

Thanks,

Kelly
    try i movie - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-split-an-mp4-files-into-several-files.1974798/ post #2
    more suggestions - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-split-a-video-in-multiple-pieces.1156490/
    Quote Quote