VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings, I have been working on viewing a MPEG-PS clip sent to me by one of my clients, the file extension is PSX but it is not a playstation save file - rather a fisheye lense dome video from some camera system. I suspect its requires a proprietary player but unfortunately I dont know any details of the system this clip came from. This forum has been really helpful as far as various viewers and some ffmpeg commands to attempt for conversion. I've tried to open the clip with Potplayer, MPC-HC, VLC without decent results. I will say MPC-HC will open it but only the top 1/3rd of the video is viewable while the bottom 2/3rds are green artifacts. Additionally I've tried avidemux, but it errors upon file open with a "cannot find a demuxer" dialog.

Mediainfo returns the following:
    MPEG-PS: 130MiB, 8 min 46 s
    2023 kb/s, 2992*2992 (1.000), AVC (High)
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 130 MiB
    Duration : 8 min 46 s
    Overall bit rate : 2 064 kb/s
    FileExtension_Invalid : mpeg mpg m2p vob vro pss evo

Video
    ID : 224
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High
    Format level : 5.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, Reference frames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=3
    Duration : 8 min 46 s
    Bit rate : 2 023 kb/s
    Width : 2 992 pixels
    Height : 2 992 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 1.000
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Stream size : 127 MiB (98%)
    Color range : Full
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Open to any ffmpeg suggestions or players that could possibly open this?
    Thank you in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, as you would probably know, mpeg-PS should default to Mpeg-2 (or maybe Mpeg-1) whereas Mpeg-TS could have AVC as you appear to have (true I could be wrong with this basic appraisal)

But if this file size is accurate you could simply upload it here as an attachment so that others can appraise it. Of course you may not be inclined to do that should it be in conflict with your 'relationship' with your client. But at this moment you, seemingly, have a useless file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An Internet search revealed that the PSX file extension may mean these recordings are in a proprietary container used internally by exacqVision video management software. exacVision produces software used for monitoring and recording the output of security cameras.

[Edit] exacVision's software has the ability to export files in familiar video container files but for some reason your client was given files in the software's own proprietary format. You may need to contact exacVision to find out what your options are for converting the file to a standard format.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Jan 2023 at 11:00.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try a remux to mp4 or mkv with ProWo's Clever ffmpeg-GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well, as you would probably know, mpeg-PS should default to Mpeg-2 (or maybe Mpeg-1) whereas Mpeg-TS could have AVC as you appear to have (true I could be wrong with this basic appraisal)

But if this file size is accurate you could simply upload it here as an attachment so that others can appraise it. Of course you may not be inclined to do that should it be in conflict with your 'relationship' with your client. But at this moment you, seemingly, have a useless file.
    I Mistitled the post, but its definitely an MPEG-PS. Unfortunately its for a legal case, and quite graphic otherwise I would share. Does the fact part of the video plays perfectly fine indicate its corrupt? Please see attached.

[Attachment 68676 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    An Internet search revealed that the PSX file extension may mean these recordings are in a proprietary container used internally by exacqVision video management software. exacVision produces software used for monitoring and recording the output of security cameras.

[Edit] exacVision's software has the ability to export files in familiar video container files but for some reason your client was given files in the software's own proprietary format. You may need to contact exacVision to find out what your options are for converting the file to a standard format.
    Holy smokes, what term did you search for?! I had been poking around on google for a bit yesterday and didnt find this! Thank you so much, they have a video player client download on their website that allowed mp4 export. This did the trick!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by linuxknight View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Holy smokes, what term did you search for?! I had been poking around on google for a bit yesterday and didnt find this! Thank you so much, they have a video player client download on their website that allowed mp4 export. This did the trick!
    I used "psx file extension" for my search. "https://file.org/extension/psx", which mentioned exacVision, was the second link returned by the search.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote