VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My humble apologies Selur, I just got caught up in the moment and replied with my concerns. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disregard your suggestion of starting a new thread

So, according to Sharc and just about everyone else, apparently this HD file that I've been trying to wrestle into submission is likely just not worth the effort. I will say, although I have almost NO bloody idea what I am doing, through hours and hours of trial and error (mostly error) FWIW I think that I may have actually improved it somewhat. However, as Sharc said, I'm pretty sure I will end up using the DVD print, although it is not so hot either, but at least it doesn't have the horrible encoding errors that some apparently encoding-challenged person (even worse than me) put out.

Sharc, I did try to run the code you kindly provided to use on the DVD print. I believe this is what you gave me:

assumeTFF()
    TFM().TDecimate()
    crop(24,12,-16,-20) #crop the crud off
    Spotless()
    MCDegrainSharp()
    greyscale() #convert to B&W
    addborders(20,16,20,16) #pad to 720x480

I just cannot get the Spotless or the MCDegrainSharp to work or be recognized, although I DO have the Spotless.dll in my plugins folder. I will try running your script with some kind of substitutions I can hopefully find, unless you might be able to show me how to get these running because your encoded snippet looked really good!

FWIW, my last dying gasp of a try with the HD print actually surprisingly yielded a not-so-bad result. I'll post a link to it here to see what you guys honestly think. Here is the code I ended up with:

TComb(mode=2, fthreshC=6, othreshC=6)
    DeNoise(getvar=false, var=120, evar=160, xgrid=5, ygrid=7)
    vsMSharpen(threshold=2.0, strength=90.0, mask=false, luma=true, chroma=true)
    WarpSharp(depth=128, blur=3, bump=128, cubic=0.6)

I just kept exhaustively trying different values and combinations. Interestingly, when I added the WarpSharp, the image did indeed get a little more defined. What is amazing is that is SEEMS like a lot of the ghosting and combing have gone away. I might try upping the WarpSharp if I can research the values and what they mean and do to see if I can sharpen the picture a little more. But honestly, I think I could live with this. But, most likely I will be ending up with the DVD print as Sharc suggested (I'm just not too sure about the greyscale part, but I'll see how it goes)

If you gentlemen could kindly check out just this latest encode and tell me honestly what you think, if it is indeed an improvement or if I am just being delusional... Here is a link to this latest try:

http://lathe-of-heaven.com/Encode002.mkv

Notice the two close-ups of Anthony Hopkins' face at about the 1:30 mark and a few seconds later when he backs out of the room.

Thanks for you patience guys! And Sharc, if you wouldn't mind please helping me to get the code you recommended running, that would be awesome so I can get that DVD in shape!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    I just cannot get the Spotless or the MCDegrainSharp to work or be recognized, although I DO have the Spotless.dll in my plugins folder. I will try running your script with some kind of substitutions I can hopefully find, unless you might be able to show me how to get these running because your encoded snippet looked really good!
    Spotless and MCDegrainSharp are *.avsi scripts rather than *.dll. You have to copy both *.avsi into Avisynth's plugins folder and they should load automatically.
    You may also have to update your MVTools (plugin 'mvtools2.dll).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Lathe View Post

FWIW, my last dying gasp of a try with the HD print actually surprisingly yielded a not-so-bad result. I'll post a link to it here to see what you guys honestly think.
    Blends, combing artefacts, horrible colors .....
    Well, to each his own.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you gentlemen could kindly check out just this latest encode and tell me honestly what you think, if it is indeed an improvement or if I am just being delusional...
    I would keep SpotLess in the filter queue to get rid of the comets.
    Also, there is still combing in a few scenes.
    => delusional
    If the quality wasn't, so bad, one could use something like CodeFormer to enhance the faces,..

----
    Avisynth(+) will auto-load (unless auto-loading is disabled):
    • all .avsi scripts from the plugins path
    • all Avisynth .dll filess from the plugins path
    If you want to:

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Excellent, thank you gentlemen!

I'll get to work on the DVD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    Spotless and MCDegrainSharp are *.avsi scripts rather than *.dll. You have to copy both *.avsi into Avisynth's plugins folder and they should load automatically.
    Yep, I do have the Spotless.avsi in my plugins folder, but I just did update my MVTools plugin, so maybe now it will run. I had a hard time finding the MCDegrainSharp.avsi, but I will continue to look for it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    If you gentlemen could kindly check out just this latest encode and tell me honestly what you think, if it is indeed an improvement or if I am just being delusional...
    => delusional
    If the quality wasn't, so bad, one could use something like CodeFormer to enhance the faces,..

----
    If you want to:

Cu Selur
    Yes, thank you Selur for the instructions. I think I do understand the paths better now.

WOW! What did you do to the picture Bro? It looks WAY better. Please tell me Did you do this to my mangled re-encoded HD version, or did you apply whatever you did to the DVD print?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is the error I got when trying to run this code on the DVD file after updating the MVTools2:

Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\Spotless.avsi")
    Spotless()
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Error.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	71174  

Quote Quote  
  9. SpotLess requirements (from the avsi)
    Req:- Pinterf MvTools2(), Pinterf Medianblur2() with MedianBlurTemporal
    MedianBlurTemporal
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/MedianBlur2
    https://github.com/pinterf/MedianBlur2/releases
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Oh, so Spotless has a dependent script then, hmmm, I didn't seem to see that when reading the documentation, thanks!

Also, I can't find MCDegrainSharp.avsi to save my life. Google results were only one page. I DID see references to script where people were running it, but I can't find the .avsi file to drop into my Avisynth plugins folder.

***EDIT

Also, will I need to load the MedianBlur2.dll separately first too?

***EDIT 2

Heh, that's weird... Now, after dropping medianBlur2.dll into my plugins directory and trying to run the same script, I now get this new error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "avsp.pyo", line 9119, in OnMenuVideoPlay
    File "avsp.pyo", line 14672, in PlayPauseVideo
    File "avsp.pyo", line 13855, in ShowVideoFrame
    File "avisynth.pyo", line 462, in GetFrame
    WindowsError: exception: access violation reading 0xFFFFFFFF

Farther and farther down the rabbit hole, apparently...

***EDIT 3

Okay, I tried loading the 'requirement' dll's along with Spotless, but I still get an error similar to that shown above. Oh, and BTW, the cropping does not seem to work because I still see all the crap at the top... Here is the code I tried:

DirectShowSource("GC.mkv")
    Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\Spotless.avsi")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\MSharpen.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\mvtools2.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\MedianBlur2.dll")
    assumeTFF()
    TFM().TDecimate()
    crop(24,12,-16,-20) #crop the crud off
    Spotless()
    MSharpen()
    #greyscale() #convert to B&W
    addborders(20,16,20,16) #pad to 720x480
    Last edited by Lathe; 20th May 2023 at 22:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you gentlemen could kindly check out just this latest encode and tell me honestly what you think, if it is indeed an improvement or if I am just being delusional...
    => delusional

----
    If you want to:

Cu Selur
    Yes, thank you Selur for the instructions. I think I do understand the paths better now.

WOW! What did you do to the picture Bro? It looks WAY better. Please tell me Did you do this to my mangled re-encoded HD version, or did you apply whatever you did to the DVD print?
    Selur, do you think I should just use Hybrid instead of messing around with all this individual script? At least I KNOW you have your program set up where everything works! Wouldn't it just be simpler to drop the DVD.mkv file into Hybrid and then you could suggest the basic settings for me? I remember using Hybrid years ago and I really liked it, although I remember it being somewhat complex.

What do you think...?

***EDIT

I'm actually installing Hybrid right now. I honestly think I should just use that from now on. I would THINK that any proper script I dropped into it would run properly, and I'm GUESSING that there is some kind of preview function too. I'm looking forward to using it!

***EDIT 2

Ah, I'm looking at the beautiful Hybrid interface, why haven't I been using it!?? I'm looking at the 'Filtering' tab where you can choose Vapoursynth (which I really don't know about) or Avisynth. Lovely! I'm on it!

***EDIT 3

Bummer... I just loaded the clip in Hybrid and Windows told me the Hybrid GUI 'Stopped Working' and to close the program... Damn!

***EDIT 4

Okay, I went back and changed a couple of things (I wonder why not all of the selections prompt a 'Help' description?) and this time it is running! So, I'll see how it goes. I just chose a random sharpener and denoiser. I tried to crop out the top, but I couldn't find a way to pad the aspect ratio back to what it should be so I got errors. I took the crop out. I couldn't find 'Add Borders' anywhere to make up for the crop... BTW, I AM indeed working on the DVD print as Sharc suggested.
    Last edited by Lathe; 20th May 2023 at 23:43.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    Selur, do you think I should just use Hybrid instead of messing around with all this individual script? At least I KNOW you have your program set up where everything works! Wouldn't it just be simpler to drop the DVD.mkv file into Hybrid and then you could suggest the basic settings for me? I remember using Hybrid years ago and I really liked it, although I remember it being somewhat complex.

What do you think...?

***EDIT

I'm actually installing Hybrid right now. I honestly think I should just use that from now on. I would THINK that any proper script I dropped into it would run properly, and I'm GUESSING that there is some kind of preview function too. I'm looking forward to using it!

***EDIT 2

Ah, I'm looking at the beautiful Hybrid interface, why haven't I been using it!?? I'm looking at the 'Filtering' tab where you can choose Vapoursynth (which I really don't know about) or Avisynth. Lovely! I'm on it!

***EDIT 3

Bummer... I just loaded the clip in Hybrid and Windows told me the Hybrid GUI 'Stopped Working' and to close the program... Damn!

***EDIT 4

Okay, I went back and changed a couple of things (I wonder why not all of the selections prompt a 'Help' description?) and this time it is running! So, I'll see how it goes. I just chose a random sharpener and denoiser. I tried to crop out the top, but I couldn't find a way to pad the aspect ratio back to what it should be so I got errors. I took the crop out. I couldn't find 'Add Borders' anywhere to make up for the crop... BTW, I AM indeed working on the DVD print as Sharc suggested.
    *** EDIT 645:
    Quote from Selur's litte message board
    Hybrid is intended for advanced users.
    It's not intended to be a tool used by everyone. It's not intended to please amateurs who need a wizard-like interface..
    If you don't know the basics about containers, video formats, etc. Hybrid is not meant for you.

*** EDIT 646:
    I just noticed there is a Donations button

Humble apologies for my Sarcasm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

What do you think...?

***EDIT

***EDIT 2

***EDIT 3

***EDIT 4

*** EDIT 645:
    Quote from Selur's litte message board
    Hybrid is intended for advanced users.
    It's not intended to be a tool used by everyone. It's not intended to please amateurs who need a wizard-like interface..
    If you don't know the basics about containers, video formats, etc. Hybrid is not meant for you.

*** EDIT 646:
    I just noticed there is a Donations button

Humble apologies for my Sarcasm
    Heh, that's okay... I think with all my badgering and annoying you fellows beyond sane limits, that is probably the very LEAST of what I deserve...

I did get most things working with Hybrid though, and have a basic grasp of what it does. And, it is good to know that whatever INTERNAL filters I choose to use will indeed run. So, I just need to read up on what those do. Otherwise, the x264 settings are very straight forward. I DID use it quite a bit many years ago, but I haven't done any AVS encoding whatsoever for so long that I have simply forgotten a lot of stuff.

But, thanks to you guys, I've been reminded of a lot of it. So, although I may look, appear, smell, and feel like a beginner, I have indeed done this before long ago. The only real hitch I had was that your code suggests to crop out the nasty stuff along the top, which I CAN set, however I don't see any accompanying 'add borders' setting so that I can bring the AR back up to what it is intended to be. And yes it would probably be a good idea to send along a nice donation to Selur, especially if he continues to put up with my inane inquiries...
    Quote Quote  
  14. What did you do to the picture Bro?
    I uses CodeFormer throuch Vapoursynth.

I just loaded the clip in Hybrid and Windows told me the Hybrid GUI 'Stopped Working' and to close the program... Damn!
    Issue might be fixed in my current dev version (will send you a link).

Hybrid might help. But, yeah, it has tons of options and is meant for users who know what they are doing since you can do tons of 'stupid' stuff.
    I also got two extensions for Hybrid which extend the available options even more and include machine learning stuff and require a fast gpu to be somewhat useable. CodeFormer is one of the things that come with the extensions, problem with it is that is nice for single scenes, but will create unwanted artifacts in others. One can compensate this somewhat when using masking&co, but that usually isn't something that easy to do.

=> will send you a link to my current dev version and addons.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What did you do to the picture Bro?
    I uses CodeFormer throuch Vapoursynth.

I just loaded the clip in Hybrid and Windows told me the Hybrid GUI 'Stopped Working' and to close the program... Damn!
    Issue might be fixed in my current dev version (will send you a link).

Hybrid might help. But, yeah, it has tons of options and is meant for users who know what they are doing since you can do tons of 'stupid' stuff.
    I also got two extensions for Hybrid which extend the available options even more and include machine learning stuff and require a fast gpu to be somewhat useable. CodeFormer is one of the things that come with the extensions, problem with it is that is nice for single scenes, but will create unwanted artifacts in others. One can compensate this somewhat when using masking&co, but that usually isn't something that easy to do.

=> will send you a link to my current dev version and addons.

Cu Selur
    Thank you! I really look forward to doing all kinds of really stupid stuff! (BTW, as I mentioned above in reply to Sharc, I did get it working pretty well. I just need to read up on all those filters so that I know what they do. I remember using Hybrid many years ago and really liking it)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    ...... The only real hitch I had was that your code suggests to crop out the nasty stuff along the top, which I CAN set, however I don't see any accompanying 'add borders' setting so that I can bring the AR back up to what it is intended to be.
    Ohhh I see. In Hybrid you can do it with Letterbox, something like:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-21 085737.png
Views:	27
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	71176  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...... The only real hitch I had was that your code suggests to crop out the nasty stuff along the top, which I CAN set, however I don't see any accompanying 'add borders' setting so that I can bring the AR back up to what it is intended to be.
    Ohhh I see. In Hybrid you can do it with Letterbox, something like:
    Heh... Smart@ss... I saw the cropping on the left side, but I didn't understand that just the statement 'LETTERBOX' somehow indicated that that is where you make up for what you are cropping off. Now, if it had said 'Add Borders' THEN I would have had some idea what that was for. All I saw was 'LETTERBOX', and I thought, 'That's nice...' Now I know, thanks!
    Quote Quote