VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a piece of freeware that will allow me to separate the audio from video and put it into a file then start the audio in the right place where it syncs up the audio with the video? John
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    There must be many such programms and some may be Freeware, like Audacity. I have not worked with Audacity because I work with Sony Vegas Pro. It is not free, but there are a lot of Light versions of Vegas called Movie Studio and they are very cheap. You can edit and apply very many processings both to video and audio tracks in Vegas. When you open a video file in Vegas the audio and video streams are seperated, and placed each in it's own track. So you can ungroup video from audio and cut, split and adjust sync how you like.
    Panasonic NV-HS860, LG LV 880 HiFi 6 Head, Sony SLV-SE 630 HiFi, LG BL-162W, Sony TRV33E miniDV for Capture, Canopus ADVC 55, Panasonic DMR-ES10, Sony Vegas Pro12, WinDV
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I do stuff like this quite often with GoldWave and AviDemux. It's not difficult....but it's not easy to explain.
    AviDemux allows to to put the edited audio back with the video while adjusting the audio sync/shift....but leaving the video untouched(no re-encoding).
    Quote Quote  
  4. You need video editor - linear (VirtualDub) or NLE - to delay audio by desired time you can use plenty of freeware - sometimes delay is possible without transcoding - depend on container you can modify only PTS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can also be done in virtualdub (no longer restricted to avis with the right filters) >> under 'Audio' select 'Interleaving' and you will see 'Audio Skew Correction' with an explanation of how to use it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You want to yank the audio stream into a separate file for audio/video synching? Not necessary.

What I've used here is Avidemux, which will do straight audio and video format copy, no re encoding. And you can specify a time offset to the audio track to synch it. I've done this a number of times.

To get that time offset I just play the out of synch video in smplayer and manually adjust the audio delay until it's right. Precision to the millisecond isn''t necessary. Then I just copy/paste that value to avidemux.

The only thing is finding the right offset value and some videos are much easier to do this with. The easiest one I did this to was a live concert video, and it was a funk band. And they had dancers on stage. You can't play that stuff without moving something, and they all knew where the downbeat was. Easy. Some videos are a lot harder.
    Quote Quote