VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

This is my first post so please bare with me if I did something wrong unintentionally.
    -=INTRODUCTION=-
    That other day my friend tested the recording function of his Smart TV from LG, model 42LV5590 and it all went smoothly.
    AFAIK every TV manufacturer is obliged to force some kind of DRM encryption and using proprietary formats, just to make sure all recorded material is only playable on the same device that has been used as a recorder, e.g. no export option.

My only wish is to have the DRM-cyphered file and demux/convert/remove the DRM in order to be able to play it on my personal computer as a normal video file, lets say .mp4 or .avi container with .h264 and aac streams.

Because there was a TV show with my humble appearance, i kind of want the video for my personal colelction, and i have no intentions of selling it or doing anything illegal with it.

-=USEFUL INFO=-
    The TV uses JFS+ filesystem and has some modified Linux distro.
    Moving the files was a pain in the ass, but he succeeded.
    For each TV show segment that was recorded, the TV makes a number of files: .PIF .IDX .STR .THM
    The video itself is the biggest file, STR.
    G-Sort Recognizes it as MPEG2 Transport Stream Video/mp2t, but i cannot render it in VLC, nor can i convert it using a number of tools for video conversion.
    I have the obfuscated certificate used to DRM cypher the video, as well as the template for the cert (extracted from the TV itself.)
    Now all i need is some expert to put the pieces of the puzzle together and help me get rid of the DRM.

I tried free2me software (command line mode with no luck).

I can provide you with sample footage files as well as the certs. Please help me solve this stupid issue.

Thanks in advance.

00000002PIF18-Apr-2012 23:42 1.4K 0000000200000001IDX18-Apr-2012 23:42 103K 0000000200000001STR18-Apr-2012 23:42 16M 0000000200000001THM18-Apr-2012 23:42 638K
    Quote Quote  
  2. About two years ago I've posted in a brazilian forum how to extract this videos.
    But most of people don't understand portuguese
    Because this I've created an English version:
    http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.php/Tutorial:_How_to_extract_movies_from_an_LG_DVR/PVR_HDD
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you!
    it works
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I have the same problem with 42LM620S. DVR files very similar as above. TSDoctor says "TS-files encrypted". How to disable DRM protection? Where to get certificate and what do to with it?

Please, help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    everything is here
    http://servbg.com/LG42LV5590/
    also open lg tv ru is useful site in Russian language
    cheers
    Quote Quote  
  6. @dobi4eto
    It seems it work by you? But if I use your STR-files (from 19th April) and also the files in your link (http://servbg.com/LG42LV5590/) the TSDoctor says "TS-files encrypted".
    TSDoctor says the same with my STR-files out of HDD-recording with 47LM960.
    Is there an additional trick how to remove the encryption?

Thank you in advance
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by dobi4eto View Post
    everything is here
    cheers
    @dobi4eto, I have the same issue with LG, and the instructions which @theemuman gave doesn't help. TS Doctor says "File is encrypted. Process aborted!".

How the encryption is removed? How can I extract the certificate from the TV? I'm without luck just like @Sharandriver I hope you'd see and give a hand. It's really frustrating to have the recording but unable to do anything with it except watching it only on TV!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by varsayoksa View Post
    Originally Posted by dobi4eto View Post
    everything is here
    cheers
    @dobi4eto, I have the same issue with LG, and the instructions which @theemuman gave doesn't help. TS Doctor says "File is encrypted. Process aborted!".

How the encryption is removed? How can I extract the certificate from the TV? I'm without luck just like @Sharandriver I hope you'd see and give a hand. It's really frustrating to have the recording but unable to do anything with it except watching it only on TV!
    I just registered to add my request to whoever may find this old thread...

I have a 47" LG TV which saves files recorded from the TV onto a USB hard drive. I cannot find a way to convert these files into a video file that I can play on my PC.

I also have tried TS-Doctor and get the same "File is encrypted. Process aborted!" message.
    I also have tried Kernel JFS Data Recovery Tool which cannot find the partitions.

This is what the structure of the drive looks like after the files have been saved.

If any knows what to do with them, or can provide a link, please do so. Your help will be greatly appreciated:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	LGTVfiles.jpg
Views:	7134
Size:	354.8 KB
ID:	28038  

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Phuket
    Were you able to get an answer? I need to convert the LG Smart TV files to a more common file format as well.
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Renek View Post
    Hey Phuket
    Were you able to get an answer? I need to convert the LG Smart TV files to a more common file format as well.
    Cheers
    No, sorry. But thanks for waking up this topic.

Maybe someone out there can help...
    Quote Quote  
  11. i can't did it, not work!!

please help? why not work?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by farogh View Post
    i can't did it, not work!!

please help? why not work?
    Maybe someone out there can help..
    Quote Quote  
  13. Recently, I read about LG TV's encrypting their recordings (tried to find the link, no luck yet). It seems that each TV has its own private encryption key, a recording from one TV can't be played on another. There are a number of sites dedicated to hacking LG's firmware. The TV's key would have to be retrieved to decrypt the recordings, but so far it looks like they're only able to enable features. Also, many of the links don't work anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Recently, I read about LG TV's encrypting their recordings (tried to find the link, no luck yet). It seems that each TV has its own private encryption key, a recording from one TV can't be played on another. There are a number of sites dedicated to hacking LG's firmware. The TV's key would have to be retrieved to decrypt the recordings, but so far it looks like they're only able to enable features. Also, many of the links don't work anymore.
    thank you nic2k4, if looks like please say us in topic
    Quote Quote  
  15. which could solve the problem
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by burkinar View Post
    which could solve the problem
    Looks like nobody knows how to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Well, it does (only) seem to be a dead end for now, - but that was also the case when I started developing the Samsung PVRdecoder for series ES and F.

As some of you may know, the tool went public years ago, and continue to work correctly to this day.

As fate would have it, my last Samsung TV (PD64F8505) have now gone competely dead, and thus bye-bye to my Samsung development environment

I have grown tired of Samsung and their choice of substandard components .. and I wanted OLED

Now I am the owner of a LG OLED65E6V ... Who want to play ?

You guys tell me all you know about obtaining root/ telnet / ftp / any knowledge,
    and I will port the PVRDecoder to LG ...

Anyone up for some fun-hacking ?
    Last edited by LordByte; 25th Nov 2016 at 15:15. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LordByte View Post
    Well, it does (only) seem to be a dead end for now, - but that was also the case when I started developing the Samsung PVRdecoder for series ES and F.

As some of you may know, the tool went public years ago, and continue to work correctly to this day.

As fate would have it, my last Samsung TV (PD64F8505) have now gone competely dead, and thus bye-bye to my Samsung development environment

I have grown tired of Samsung and their choice of substandard components .. and I wanted OLED

Now I am the owner of a LG OLED65E6V ... Who want to play ?

You guys tell me all you know about obtaining root/ telnet / ftp / any knowledge,
    and I will port the PVRDecoder to LG ...

Anyone up for some fun-hacking ?
    I am, but what can I do? I'm a computer user, fairly knowledgable about computers, with an LG 47LA690T-TB which I can connect to my local network.
    Quote Quote  
  19. hello, in 2020 did you find any solution to this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lucas Nascimento View Post
    hello, in 2020 did you find any solution to this problem?
    No luck for me. The TV is still working though.

Pity someone from LG doesn't come here and spill the beans on how the encryption works.
    But what a nasty thing for LG to do, anyway! Why stop people playing what they've recorded from their TV on other devices?

Next, I'll find an LG forum and kick up a fuss - tell them what I think of them.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hello, sorry to bump the old thread...

Just wanted to know if there were any news regarding this?

I have the similar requirement, but I just care about the recorded subtitles...
    I've setup the LG TV to record some old Turkish TV series while I was on vacation but when I came back I noticed that the recorded video/audio (for few weeks worth of episodes) had some issues... But subtitles were recorded fine.
    The entire series is actually available on YouTube in 1080p but without any subtitles. And there are no subtitles posted on-line for it in any language...

So I can rip video/audio from YouTube but I'm stuck without subtitles...

I was hoping to find plain text subtitles on the external hard drive that was connected to LG TV but all I found were these ...STR and ...IDX files that I guess are encrypted files that might include subtitle images that need to be decrypted with unique TV key and then passed through OCR to get the subtitle text...

So I guess I'll just have to watch those episodes on YouTube while watching the subtitles on LG TV...
    Quote Quote