VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

Could someone that was able to master distributed encoding with Ripbot264 please be so kind to guide me on how to set this up properly on two machines - one running Win 7 64 and the other Win 10 64? I tried researching it but couldn't find any current information except for one incomplete Youtube video that is no help and another guide that supposedly is great but unfortunately the link no longer works - http://www.thehtpc.net/htpc-tips-and...uted-encoding/

Thank you in advance, Safe Holidays and Happy New Year!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. What part of that video you do not understand?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Atak_Snajpera,

Thank you for responding and sorry for the delayed response but I wanted to analyze the tutorial video again and give things a try before responding. I think I understand it now but unfortunately it doesn't appear to be working for me. Here is my setup and what I did.

The setup are two machines:

1) running Win 7 64 and already encoded a video on this machine with Ripbot264 without issues

2) running Win 10 64, successfully connected with machine 1 over a network and installed the necessary pre-requisites: Avisynth+ MT, FFDshow 64 and Haali Matroska
    Splitter. Ripbotx264 launches successfully on this machine.

Here is what I tried:

1) launched Ripbot264 and in the GUI settings checked the "Distributed Encoding" check box. In the Tab where there are IP fields I entered the correct IP with port for the Win 10 machine

2) I added a job and applied desired encoding settings

3) On the secondary Win 10 machine I launched the Ripbot264 server exe only

4) On primary Win 7 machine I hit start. The client launches successfully and begins to copy files to shared folder followed by indexing.

5) I can see Queues/chunks and the encoding starts on the primary machine but when I hit online for Server 2 in client it tries to connect and then goes offline.

6) By looking at the status on the Server 2 machine I see the following errors (see image below) and can't figure out what's wrong.

[Attachment 44213 - Click to enlarge]

Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi there,

Thank you for your response and actually I installed the FFDshow 32 bit as I read in a post somewhere that Ripbot supposedly is not compatible with the 64 bit version and also installed the C++ binary which fixed the problem. I just didn't know which really did the trick but now I know.

Just two more questions from a newb.

1) The distributed encoding works great but noticed that once in a while the "Server 2" machine would randomly disconnect with a socket error 10054 "Connection Reset by Peer". Any hints as to why that is happening? When I click the online button it reconnects without any issue until it does it again at some point.

2) Can Avisynth scripts be freely pasted into the script window or do they have to follow a Ripbot syntax? I noticed that there are marked sections ex #levels, #colors, etc. Do appropriate script sections need to be pasted under those or are those just comments? Sorry if this is really dumb questioning but I just started to learn Avisynth.

Thank you again for all your help.

PS: Any chance that you would consider adding a HDR to SDR color conversion feature in Ripbot?
    Quote Quote  
  5. 2) that window is a great feature, you can do whatever you want in it, to override original, generated script etc., if you know what you are doing,
    it is quite hidden so if someone does not know what it is, likely would not touch it, but on the other hand it could help,
    those #levels, #colors are suggestions for you, where you should place appropriate lines for that sort of treatment, or ripbot's algorithm, generating avs script could use it as a placeholder, but again, you can do whatever you want if you know what you do,
    just watch it, when you correct that script and then you go back to menu, selecting some values for video again, you might screw up that script a bit
    Quote Quote  
  6. 1) The distributed encoding works great but noticed that once in a while the "Server 2" machine would randomly disconnect with a socket error 10054 "Connection Reset by Peer". Any hints as to why that is happening? When I click the online button it reconnects without any issue until it does it again at some point.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/981344/an-application-may-receive-the-10054-e...ication-receiv

Maybe your firewall/Antivirus is closing connection?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you for the link but if Firewall was the issue wouldn't I have no connection at all?

Anyways, one of my machines was connected to the network via Wifi and so I switched it to wired. Will do a test and report back.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi Atak_Snajpera,

Just noticed that you added the HDR to SDR tone mapping feature to the new version of RipBot264. This is exciting and I am looking forward to testing this out real soon. One question that I have is that from what I understand the HDR to SDR is only when encoding x264 and with x265 the HDR is pass through. Can there also be an option for conversion to be possible when using HEVC for those that choose not to retain HDR?

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Encoding HDR (BT.2020) HEVC to SDR (BT.709) HEVC makes zero sense. You should keep that data and use MadVR for tonemaping on fly.
    Quote Quote  
  10. My rationale for wanting to do this was to save storage space while also retaining high quality. For example a bitrate setting of 18000 kbps for HEVC is approximately half the file size of an AVC encode to my understanding. Other than that you're right.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I 2nd that. Space is the reason, I want to encode in HEVC only. My 4K-TV is not able to display HDR/BT.2020 correctly,
    so a "downgrade" from BT.2020 to BT.709 of my HEVC-movies would be very useful.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
    What part of that video you do not understand?
    Good evening, I'm going to apologize up front because I know enough to be dangerous but that's about it. I LOVE Ripbot264 and can completely use it on my main machine (Desktop - HP AMD Ryzen 7, 16GB RAM) with no issues. With that said, I also have another HP desktop, HP laptop, and ASUS laptop and if memory serves, all are Intel Core i5's with 8GB of RAM for each.

When using distributed encoding all of my servers seem to be encoding except my main machine/client (newer HP). Since the main machine is the client, does it not encode files at all? Again, sorry if that's STUPID question. I seem to be able to encode files quicker with my main machine on it's own then using distributed encoding. Call me crazy, but I would think it should speed up the process if all machines are encoding at the same time. Please tell me if I'm missing something.

Side note: I've done some additional digging and it looks like you can use the client to encode as well. Is the client encoding along with the servers, or do you have to add the client to the list of servers (IP address)? I noticed my client IP is grayed out, I'm confused if that means the client is encoding or not. When I entered the client IP into the server IP list during distributed encoding, it does nothing and never connects. Very confused on what the client is doing during this process other then distributing chunks to the other servers.

Thank you for any assistance.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by mikehbkwm View Post
    Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
    What part of that video you do not understand?
    Good evening, I'm going to apologize up front because I know enough to be dangerous but that's about it. I LOVE Ripbot264 and can completely use it on my main machine (Desktop - HP AMD Ryzen 7, 16GB RAM) with no issues. With that said, I also have another HP desktop, HP laptop, and ASUS laptop and if memory serves, all are Intel Core i5's with 8GB of RAM for each.

When using distributed encoding all of my servers seem to be encoding except my main machine/client (newer HP). Since the main machine is the client, does it not encode files at all? Again, sorry if that's STUPID question. I seem to be able to encode files quicker with my main machine on it's own then using distributed encoding. Call me crazy, but I would think it should speed up the process if all machines are encoding at the same time. Please tell me if I'm missing something.

Side note: I've done some additional digging and it looks like you can use the client to encode as well. Is the client encoding along with the servers, or do you have to add the client to the list of servers (IP address)? I noticed my client IP is grayed out, I'm confused if that means the client is encoding or not. When I entered the client IP into the server IP list during distributed encoding, it does nothing and never connects. Very confused on what the client is doing during this process other then distributing chunks to the other servers.

Thank you for any assistance.
    I'm new to RipBot, and I'm experiencing the same thing. I finally got around the various hurdles regarding distributed encoding, and my second computer is receiving commands, accessing the temp files, and encoding—but my main machine is doing nothing. It's not really "distributing" the job, it's delegating it to another computer completely.

I've got the second computer's IP listed as the first entry in the DE settings, and the rest are 127.0.0.1, ports starting at 2000. I have literally no idea why my host (client?) computer is not encoding anything. Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I am new to ripbot and like it so far.

I am trying to get distributed encoding to work but I am struggling--how do I select the network interface the encoding server uses? It will pick a random one and I can't disable all of them until it picks the correct one!

As a consequence, it won't connect to my other laptop properly.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    help me please i can not get Ripbot264 Distributed Encoding to work start encoding on main pc but wont start/connect to 2nd pc on that keeps connecting \disconnecting tried doing all things i could find on this forum and others forum on ripbot264 but no luck
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bobmick53 View Post
    help me please i can not get Ripbot264 Distributed Encoding to work start encoding on main pc but wont start/connect to 2nd pc on that keeps connecting \disconnecting tried doing all things i could find on this forum and others forum on ripbot264 but no luck
    Hi bobmick53,

A fellow Australian, here.

Have you been able to sort this out ??

It seems like a very common problem.

Have you tried the RipBot264 doom9 Forum ???

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=127611
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi yes Aussie here sadly i have not i looked on all forums did fined a youtube video made 3 months ago but that was done on same pc using a VMs pc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tftERYq94GE not distrbuted to other pc and yes tried that link did not help me just stuck encoding 1080p x265 and waiting 3h30min per ep i just have to put up with not using denoiser
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi yes Aussie here sadly i have not i looked on all forums did fined a youtube video made 3 months ago but that was done on same pc using a VMs pc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tftERYq94GE not distrbuted to other pc and yes tried that link did not help me just stuck encoding 1080p x265 and waiting 3h30min per ep i just have to put up with not using denoiser
    Yes, I remember seeing that clip, it's a shame that the guy is using VM's, and the music is rather distracting.

May I suggest that you sign up on doom9, to the RipBot264 forum, and I'm sure you will get a little bit more info & help.

I don't use this forum very much, and I just happened across your comment by accident, really

Can you tell me a bit more about your setup, CPU, GPU, etc, etc, 'cause it should able to be fixed, I mean Distributed Encoding IS by far the best thing about RipBot.

I'll see you over at the doom9 forum in a few days (it takes a while before you can do your first post)

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi Burt123 this is my first pc build so i did not go for best parts because knowing my luck i would have i would have broken something but here it is cpu is Xeon E5 2630 v3 8c16t 24gb ram and gpu gtx 1060 6gb
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi Burt123 this is my first pc build so i did not go for best parts because knowing my luck i would have i would have broken something but here it is cpu is Xeon E5 2630 v3 8c16t 24gb ram and gpu gtx 1060 6gb
    Well, that's an interesting build, but it should tick along OK

Ok, now that you've mentioned you've got an nVidia GPU, certain components of the driver install can play major havoc with RipBot's DE, so that might be first thing you need to check.

You mentioned you have a 2nd PC, correct ???, have you got all the network setup properly between the 2 machines, and have DE enabled on both, etc, IP address's and all that ??

There used to be a really basic guide for this on YouTube, but it didn't really explain the process properly, but it's since disappeared

Anyway, like I suggested, sign up on doom9, so you can join the RipBot thread....

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi burt123 yes sign up on doom9 as for 2nd pc sadly that is a dell from 2008 so it crap i was going to de to my 2 laptop,one 2nd gen i7 and 11th gen i7,but that would only give about 14fps more like right now i am encoding 1080p tv show to x265 i getting 25fps on 1st pass and then about 13fps on 2nd pass if i use denoiser filters i get 13fps on 1st and about 7fps i doing for size i encode it down from a 4gb 1080p tv ep to 490mb 1080p x265 tv ep if i did not care about size of ep i would use handbrake as i can encode tv ep in 15 min on slow encode speed but the size is to big for me
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi burt123 yes sign up on doom9 as for 2nd pc sadly that is a dell from 2008 so it crap i was going to de to my 2 laptop,one 2nd gen i7 and 11th gen i7,but that would only give about 14fps more like right now i am encoding 1080p tv show to x265 i getting 25fps on 1st pass and then about 13fps on 2nd pass if i use denoiser filters i get 13fps on 1st and about 7fps i doing for size i encode it down from a 4gb 1080p tv ep to 490mb 1080p x265 tv ep if i did not care about size of ep i would use handbrake as i can encode tv ep in 15 min on slow encode speed but the size is to big for me
    Good to hear that you've signed up over there , but don't go looking for my VideoHelp username, I'm not called that on doom9.

Best if you just mention you've come over from here, and I will find you.

So I'm curious why you use a 2 pass encode ???, I have always just used a CRF setting, which is a single pass, I would doubt that 2 passes are any advantage, and basically double the processing time, if I'm not mistaken.

But a single pass would probably be plenty good enough, and you can choose the size you're after, whereas CRF can vary a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi burt as for the 2 pass it just go back to the first encoder i used way back in the day it was the best setting for the enocder also i just like all ep same size when i encode files myself
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi burt as for the 2 pass it just go back to the first encoder i used way back in the day it was the best setting for the enocder also i just like all ep same size when i encode files myself
    Hi, just thought I'd touch base, and ask if you'd left a comment on the RipBot Forum yet ??

I did notice a "newbie" posted a message, that might have been you....

Are you still having issues ??

Cheers
    Quote Quote