VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anyone where the best place to sell (apart from ebay) an old desk top PC tower and a Dell CRT monitor?. I have advertised it on one site but had no offers apart from one which I never heard from since (and this was a few weeks ago). It's running on Windows XP, has about 365MB ram, DVD writer, floppy disk drive (not that anyone uses them these days). Obviously no good for internet usage but it's OK for other tasks like word processing. The Dell monitor is about 23 years old and still works. I had it listed for £70 and lowered it to £40. I'm also chucking in with it my old Creative 5.1 Speakers which I don't use anymore, though one of the connector pins is missing and it needs a new plug, which for some odd reason is missing.

I'm guessing noone would want it due to its age?.
    Last edited by techmot; 28th Mar 2022 at 08:55.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I suspect you will not be able to even give that stuff away. But maybe Goodwill may take it if you have them in the UK.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Boat anchor.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    I suspect you will not be able to even give that stuff away. But maybe Goodwill may take it if you have them in the UK.
    Why wouldn't anyone want to buy or even have it for nothing?. The speakers should be in good working order, but haven't tested them but last time I used them on that PC they are working OK, and I've seen the same speaker set on ebay, some with bids. Someone could make use of the Dell monitor.

Yes I'm in the UK in Lancashire. I advertised it on Gumtree along with some other items, one was a Virgin V Box that I was giving away as I no longer need it and would've been thrown in the bin (and I doubt a charity shop would want it), but none seemed interested for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  5. verify if hw is equipped with Intel AMT and if not equipped then advertise it as free from spying hardware - perhaps this attract someone attention... anyway your PC can be easily upgraded and PC enclosure usually has some value - perhaps also other components...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    verify if hw is equipped with Intel AMT and if not equipped then advertise it as free from spying hardware - perhaps this attract someone attention... anyway your PC can be easily upgraded and PC enclosure usually has some value - perhaps also other components...
    I've never heard of Intel Active Management Technology before. How to mean free from spying hardware?. It's a mainboard processor so the processor can't be upgraded. I would've thought someone would've been interested in the Dell monitor, I'm sure someone will have some use for it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Desktop CPU's are upgradable >> not soldered in to the mainboard. The CPU socket and CPU availablity would be the issue.

Even so, if you really want to make some money from this then sell as 'for spares'. Even people who have invested heavily in S.O.T.A. hardware struggle to sell their old stuff and a price they think it is worth.

And, seriously, noone will be interested in a 23 yr old CRT which could 'blow up' at first power-up.

Bottom line. Even your revised asking price @ £40 is way too high. Give it to an OAP's home and be done with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That Dell monitor is not by any chance a Sony Trinitron clone?
    Because if it is, it is not worthless.

If it's a Sony clone it should say the word "Trinitron" in the top left corner of the bezel.

If it's just a regular shadow mask CRT of that era, it's only worth a free pickup if it's a low hour CRT.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there

I came across this post by chance and wondering if anyone in the UK is willing to collect my old gear for free. I have bought a new one so I don't need it any more.

It is a 6 year old Chillblast desktop with Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake CPU, 4 Cores, 4.0 - 4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks), Nvidia GTX 960 2GB, 250 GB SSD, three 1 TB hard drives, a blu ray writer and it runs Windows 10. There is also a 24 inches LCD DELL monitor.

I have wiped all the data and no password required.

The PC and the monitor are almost new and in full working order and it comes with the original Windows 10 disk.

I have tried to donate them to charities without success. I am not looking to sell it at all.

Any one who knows someone they can help to take this gear?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Desktop CPU's are upgradable >> not soldered in to the mainboard. The CPU socket and CPU availablity would be the issue.

Even so, if you really want to make some money from this then sell as 'for spares'. Even people who have invested heavily in S.O.T.A. hardware struggle to sell their old stuff and a price they think it is worth.

And, seriously, noone will be interested in a 23 yr old CRT which could 'blow up' at first power-up.

Bottom line. Even your revised asking price @ £40 is way too high. Give it to an OAP's home and be done with it.
    Why would the monitor blow up?. I've had the monitor for about 12 years now and never had any issue with it. I got the monitor from someone I knew years ago who had about 20 identical Dell desktop PCs in a computer suite in the place he was the manager at, and he gave me the monitor as the place was having an upgrade of newer Dell PCs. I've used the monitor for the past few not only with my desktop PC but also connected to my other laptop running on Vista (which stopped working about a year ago for some unknown reason) after the screen stopped working (no idea why and I never bothered to get it fixed). The Dell monitor has been working great. It outlived my other desktop PC monitor which only lasted about 6 years before the screen started to go green and flicker, so for a monitor made in Nov 1998 shows how good they are.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    That Dell monitor is not by any chance a Sony Trinitron clone?
    Because if it is, it is not worthless.

If it's a Sony clone it should say the word "Trinitron" in the top left corner of the bezel.

If it's just a regular shadow mask CRT of that era, it's only worth a free pickup if it's a low hour CRT.
    It's not a Trinitron monitor I'm afraid.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by shaema View Post
    Hi there

I came across this post by chance and wondering if anyone in the UK is willing to collect my old gear for free. I have bought a new one so I don't need it any more.

It is a 6 year old Chillblast desktop with Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake CPU, 4 Cores, 4.0 - 4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks), Nvidia GTX 960 2GB, 250 GB SSD, three 1 TB hard drives, a blu ray writer and it runs Windows 10. There is also a 24 inches LCD DELL monitor.

The PC and the monitor are almost new and in full working order and it comes with the original Windows 10 disk.

I have tried to donate them to charities without success. I am not looking to sell it at all.

Thanks
    That sounds like a good spec PC, I can't believe you are giving it away. If old PCs aren't worth anything why are so many people selling them on ebay?. I'm guessing the answer to that is they are trying it on hoping someone will buy it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I said 'could'. Everything has a lifespan. By your own admission this monitor is 20+ years old. It will fail one day.

And you final comment above kinda sums it all up >> ask not much and people will think (rightly or wrongly) what is wrong with it (despite your assurances) - ask too much and people just spend the extra on new.

And if our friend is actually giving this away then why not take 'him' up on the offer. Might solve ALL your problems in a stroke.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by shaema View Post
    Hi there

Thanks
    This very good HW - for sure you can donate it to someone (it is worth more than few hundred pounds)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ret. Hippie Guitar Player Axel Slingerland's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My recommendation is to please recycle that ancient stuff properly.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Of what you listed, the only item with some actual value is the speaker [especially if it's fixed], the rest -- parts or whole -- worth close to nothing and no one in their right mind would pay anywhere near to your asking price. Some parts [RAM, DVD writer] may have some value but for the most part it's worthless. You could try to sell it for £5 - £10, or just give it away for free.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I managed to get rid of the monitor by advertising it for free on Gumtree. The person who picked it looked abit of a computer geek. But at least someone took it off me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Glad to hear the CRT did not end up as e-waste. I have a soft spot for CRTs.
    Quote Quote